1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty: Black Ops is 'plausible fiction'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

As opposed to MW2 with it's highly implausible storyline? :D

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

regardless im still not touching it.

4. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

ya don't say.

5. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Reading between the lines:

1 - All the popular wars have already been done to death.

2 - Recent attempts to invent fictional yet realistic wars have been epic fails.

3 - We scraped the bottom of the ideas barrel, strung the remains into a storyline and now need a buzzword to market our stagnant crap with so the game doesn't tank.

I'm reading Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit right now, good luck trying to distract me from that with your "plausible fiction".

Last edited: 18 Aug 2010
  6. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

@Stoney

Red Rabbit IS plausible fiction* directly inspired by a real story, so y'know, sometimes it works.

*Except the dialogue. He can't do dialogue. The dialogues not plausible. At all.

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I still liked Red Rabbit though :)

The safehouse that the Russian family were taken to sounds like it's fairly close to where I live!

8. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

clearly theyve run out of movies to copy

9. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK Lost in Time and Space

Yeah, right.

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I love the awesome amounts of "yeah right"

But lets be honest, while everyone appears to look at wars in the conventional 'east versus west' state... lets have some craziness with Africa, France and the UK against... I dunno, Poland, Germany, Italy and something equally as insane? Rebellions and insanity... to be fairly honest if they brought Greece into it because of the budget stuff they've got going on and rebellion occured, it's totally possible.

But I can almost tell it'll be America waging war on unknown-country-istan that has legally/illegal aquired a multitude of OMGZORRockets to use on Generic Western Ally number 450123, which will bore me...

However, Multiplayer.... >.<

11. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

@Spuzzell

Sorry, didn't quite get the nuance right there. What I was going for was a comparison between the possible quality that Treyarch might be able to come up with up against what Tom Clancy already did (how long ago now?) with severe doubts anything Treyarch might be able to come up with in this arena could seem fresh or original. Also worrying - Treyarch held a press conference to hype up the fact it's a fictional modern conflict like it's not par for the course.

@r3loaded

Red Rabbit's not bad but it's a little predictable so far. Just got to the extraction last night, so still time for some surprises. I suppose comparing it's plotline to Debt of Honour/Executive Orders isn't really fair, though Red Storm Rising is still my favourite.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2010
  12. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

Lol I love the 'unknown-country-istan' line.

Why can't we have something like North Korea invading South Korea and holding all the LCD panel factories to ransom! Imagine the world with no LCD panels, that's much worse than America blowing up!!!!

13. Blackie Chan

Blackie Chan What's a Dremel?

SHOULD DO MEDIEVAL CALL OF DUTY FRANCE VS UK WOOOOOOOOOOOOO SWORDS AND ****!!!!!

14. t1alek

t1alek Mind modder.

Nah, what I really want to see is the second US civil war.. and this one should end with the splitting of the US.

15. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

so i guess i ll be the only person to buy this game loool.

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Based on actual stories?

OK, how about we do the one where the US overthrows uncooperative but democratically elected governments and replaces them with right wing dictators. It worked in Guatemala, Chile, and Iran, but not as well in Cuba.

The problem with Black ops is that the whole thing goes to hell when the first shot is fired. In a proper black op no one ever knws you were there, but that makes for lousy games.

Tags: Add Tags