1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GoldenEye Wii has regenerating health

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

It's Activision. Go figure.

3. Orderoftheflame

Orderoftheflame What's a Dremel?

Can't see this being worth it.

Activision seem to have gone out of their way to take a dump on the people that remember the original, who were surely the only people looking to get this?

4. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Why even bother? The only reason anyone would even have interest in a goldeneye game would be a remake of the classic that they love using the technology of the day. Just more Wii shovelware.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

>Technology of the day
    >Wii

Ha.

6. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Fantastic, can't wait for this little baby. On the Wii will make it an excellent experience and well worth the wait.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I think people just want a remake with some online play and an updated engine.

The game successful for what it was, why change anything?

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

The success of this game will totally depend on the Facility, and if it can be beaten in just under 1 minute.

9. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Or long it takes players to realise how to leave the tanks room. :>

10. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

The first mistake was putting this on the Wii, the second was destroying the formula of the actual Goldeneye game and the third was Activision.

11. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

Sadly I don't think this is completely Acitivision's fault. Gamers these days don't respond well to the play/die/reload mechanic anymore, and Activision is simply "streamlining" the game to fit those changing tastes. Is it a slap in the face to the hardcore fans? Of course, but remember, the majority of the dollars don't come from hardcore fans, they come from the Walmart crowd. Yeah... it sucks, which is why everyone here should be supporting the indie devs instead of the likes of Activision.

12. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

13. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Im going to completely ignore it on release because its never going to be what i want it to be, The amount of hours i spent on the original is shocking.

I also disagree that the game is aimed at a newer generation of gamers, The newer generation imo arent going to be interested in a game based on a 15 year old movie. The majority of interest will be from people that remember the film and more importantly the game.

I hope it fails hard!

14. SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh What's a Dremel?

Well it'll depend on pricing for me, but I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt. It's not going to be like the N64 Goldeneye, but if it's still fun I don't mind.

15. UberTiger

UberTiger What's a Dremel?

I'd love a PC port of this :(

16. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

I already played one remake of Goldeneye on the Gamecube. It was the first level of Timesplitters 2.

17. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Am I the only person who was wholly unimpressed by the original Goldeneye? At the time I was used to playing PC FPS games, probably Quake, Quake 2, and Half-life, and Goldeneye was so slow and clunky. Okay it was probably partly to do with the fact I wasn't used to the N64 controller, but the developers really hadn't figured out how to do an FPS on a console by then, which is why they compensated for the lack of fine control with ludicrous auto-aiming and slow movement. I can recognise it as an important precursor to pretty much every console FPS game, so I respect its place in video game history, but as a game in its own right it did nothing for me.

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Actually, 80% of income comes from 20% of your audience. True for the vast majority of businesses and games are no exception. It's the core market which is important.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

rest assured you are not alone, I was playing quake 2 online when this came out so I was wholey unimpressed.

and then Unreal Tournament came out. :D

20. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Goldeneye was responsible for creating an entire generation that revolved around local multiplayer with four people, one which has largely evolved into the party game genre today. For its time it was an amazing accomplishment considering the poor quality of all previous console shooters, and it's actually much faster than current console shooters, even faster than a few PC shooters as well. Obviously it hasn't aged well, though, and to someone used to playing Quake or Half-Life, Goldeneye is admittedly not very exciting.

I'm really not sure why they are remaking this game. The people who it targets have largely moved on, and most of them are not Wii owners anymore, they're people who are busy playing Halo, Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2. Plus, you mess with the original too much and the old fans are going to shun you, and you simply can't make a game based entirely around nostalgia and expect to sell it to new players. I know this idea probably looked great on paper and it focus tested well with a core group of people, but I have serious doubts whether that will translate into real sales and profits.

Tags: Add Tags