1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU i7 950 or i7 930

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tobiume, 20 Aug 2010.

1. Tobiume

Tobiume What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I was seaching around to purchase my new processor amongst other items and I came across an I7 950 on Scan on pre-order. I also found the same processor on Overclockers for over £200 cheaper also on pe-order.

I thought the i7 950 had been discontiued or am I getting muddled with the numerous others in the range?? Also if they are getting the i7 950 in stock then would it be better than an i7 930 which is what I was going to purchase??

Many Thanks in Advance

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

920 or 930 and overclock it.
    There's no benefit on paying for the more expensive chips on 1366 if you're overclocking (6 cores are the only exception) as they all hit a very similar wall.

3. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

i7 950. Only £11 more. You may as well.

4. joavery

joavery Huh. So it CAN burn...

Where do *you* shop that it's only 11 pounds more?

Here in the states it's twice the price of the i7-930

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Err.. I suspect you may have got your wires crossed. This isn't 920 vs. 930. This is 930 vs. 950. It's twice the price and then some.

6. Tobiume

Tobiume What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the quick repplies...

Joavery - On overclockers it is £234.99 on preorder.Link

For £11 extra i think i will preorder it and hope it comes for when i am ready to install it considering it is pretty cheap. With the extra multipliers it should lead to a good overclock and i would think possibly at a lower temperature :)

7. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Here. It was mentioned, but not linked to, in the OP.

Aside from that, because the 950 has a higher multiplier, it'll overclock better if you have a cheaper motherboard, as you won't need to push the BCLK quite as far to hit 4ghz and so on. However, if you are using a pretty decent motherboard (most X58 boards fall under this, to be honest) then the 930 will do just as well.

So it's up to you. If you are running stock frequencies, then the 950 is higher clocked at stock, so it's the obvious choice.

8. Tobiume

Tobiume What's a Dremel?

Sorry should of put a link to the overclockers site in the original post.

I have got an ASUS Rampage Extreme III motherboard so the motherboard isnt much of an issue, I am also intend to overclock it as I have been setting up a watercooled system.

However for £11 extra I might as well get the i7 950 for the extra multipliers that it offers and the higher stock speed. cant buy alot for £11 these days...

9. mkb

mkb Minimodder

920 and overclock it.

10. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  11. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I wouldn't bother pre-ordering it as there's blatantly an error there.

If you look at the pricing here, the overclockers price is half of every other shop there, even ebay. That doesn't seem quite right to me.

12. lamboman

13. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

14. joavery

I'm still very suspicious of that pricing even with that link.

The i7-930 is priced at 290 dollars in the States. If the 950 goes down to 295, they're either saying A: The 950 is crappy and we need to get rid of it. or B: The 930 is about to drop like a rock in price as well.

Edit: I'm hoping it's the latter, and that their prices across the board are reducing with the introduction of their latest chips. If that's so, I'm glad I held off buying a CPU for a couple of weeks, as I can now snag this piece at the same price as the 930 but with a 10% stock clock.

Edit2: The google translation of the article surmises that the i7-930 will also be dropping in price by about 50%

Last edited: 21 Aug 2010
  15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Technically the 950 should have been speed binned to clock to higher frequencies better, so in theory it may overclock better. Don't hold me too that though.

And isn't there a law as means companys must sell items at the stated price, even if they got the price wrong?

16. joavery

In the States, technically yes, but if you can afford to go to trial on false advertising, then you probably could have afforded it at the higher rate in the first place.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The only problem with that link is that it goes to Overclockers, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

At that overclocker's price then why the hell not, yeah!

That's suspiciously cheap though, because they're well over £400 at Scan.

19. SDeshmukh

SDeshmukh What's a Dremel?

I've been holding off on getting an i7 processor because of the upcoming price drop. Think I will still wait and see if the i7 930 price is affected. I think the price drop for i7 950 is due on 29th August, which may be why this is a pre-order for 30th August on Overclockers' website.

20. lamboman

The first one, technically is true, but then again, they are all the same stepping, every individual processor overclocks differently, and the numbers that I've seen for the 950 and the 920/930's have been pretty much the same. So while they technically could have been binned, from the looks of things it doesn't appear to make much of a difference.

The second point, not quite. If you buy a product at the wrong, low price, it's yours, end of. It's the shop's problem for selling it at the incorrect price.

However, if you haven't bought it yet and are about to make the purchase, they are allowed to state that the price was a mistake and refuse to sell it to you at that price if you haven't purchased it yet. Didn't need to be said though, as the price drops are coming anyway, and I very much doubt that they are incorrect prices anyway.