1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple patents anti-jailbreak system

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Aug 2010.

1. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I'm using the iphone 4. I chose it over an android hand set because:

1) Nice solid feel to it compared other mobiles.

2) Well engineered package. Battery life for instance compared to hot android phone at the time the Evo.

3) I got the impression that the interface was superior

4) Long term updates and no having to wait for my phone maker to put their own skin on.

I'm sure I'll swap to android in a few years time, but at the moment their is no real competition in my mind.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

don't forget ease of jailbreaking. (aka rooting)

if i cannot jailbreak my iPhone, i won't buy it. it's simple as 1+1. i've grown accustomed to wifi-sync, SBsettings, activator, advanced notifier and many others.

a jailbroken iphone is superior to android phone for above reasons plus it is as flexible as android phones. an unjailbroken iphone is the worst smart phone (if it can be considered smart).

3. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I've just picked up two. One for my Wife and the other for my Daughter. I've set up both and can hand on heart say that I am completely happy I don't need one. Yes they can do this and that but I'm not convinced at all by the Apple BS and the BBC presenters and Homosexual entertainers who keep saying we need more Apple products in our lives.

I'm sorry but I just don't!

Last edited: 23 Aug 2010
  4. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I don't get all the iPhone hate here, I think they are great.

I had an iPhone 3gs so I knew what I was getting myself in to. Last week I had an opportunity to get ANY phone I wanted on the market. I thoroughly researched pretty much everything out there for the past few months, and I decided on the iPhone 4 simply because for me at least, it's better than everything else. I love Flash games, so I was desperate to get the HTC Desire instead and for that to work for me. But it just didn't. Flash games don't work well on it, and the site I use for games only has a tiny selection available to mobile devices (not to mention that the screen looked terrible in direct sunlight). So for gaming, the iPhone 4 is still the best I could find. I have Plants Vs Zombies, Final Fantasy, The Quest, Civilization Revolution, Angry Birds, Peggle, Driver, and loads of other great games, so I'm happy. It plays films which I can convert myself and put straight on the phone and look amazing. Same goes for MP3's, and it's great for browsing the web. There is nothing more I could want, so I think it's great.

As for the jailbreaking, I think if I added up how much I had spent on all the stuff I use and play, it's probably about £20 or so. So I don't care about jailbreaking. It's not like I'm being shafted by Apple. The average game is about 59p, or 1.39 or so, so it doesn't exactly break the bank. The only thing which I would consider jailbreaking it for, would be TomTom, but I'd rather not start messing around with my otherwise legit phone just for 1 app.

5. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Jailbreaking isn't just about pirating apps - there's a whole ecosystem of applications that are slightly unorthodox, ie Apple have refused to let them be distributed in the app store for various reasons. Mostly, they're extremely useful. Think of them as tools rather than games or normal applications.

Some of the ones I like are:
    WiFi Sync - allows you to sync your iPhone over wifi, eliminating the need for a wired connection.
    My3g - iPhone thinks it's on a wifi network, you can use facetime, appstore >10mb downloads whilst on a 3g network.
    MyWi - automatic wifi tethering
    Intelliscreen - puts stuff like calendar, email, sms, etc on the lockscreen. Just lets you know without having to unlock.
    Poof! - lets you hide applications you don't use. Who uses Stocks (or Contacts on an iPod Touch)?

Unfortunately, portrails of jailbreaking by the media tend to correlate 'jailbreaking' with some kind of illicit activity, in this case piracy. Unlike (say) the Nintendo DS, where R4 homebrew is really the cover story and noone actually does it for the 'intended' task, jailbreaking actually has a use - ie allowing the use of more creative applications, although a majority of people probably use it for slightly less developer-friendly pursuits.

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Reading the previous comments it continuously baffles and irks me, how much slack people are cutting Apple considering the amount of crap they're pulling.

7. crazyceo

During this Apple lovein, let's not forget why we are all argueing about Apple.

Unless it can make them money, they don't care about it or your desire to use a specific app. The list of Apps rejected by Apple is huge and some of those Apps would really useful and unfortunately may lose Apple money. The App selection process is so far up it's own ass that it will gladly provide you an app if you are a homosexual looking for casual sex and want to find the nearest cruising homosexual to you. However, you want to use a phone App that goes over the internet connection and not the contracted phone usage and you have no chance. Most people who use IP phones are for family members living abroad and just want to get in touch every now and again. That's just one example that I know about and we've had loads of articles on this site about companies in absolute chaos because Apple's App selection process has rejected their App for no apparentl reason.

As for the "I'm not getting shafted by Apple!" quote. How much did you spend on your iPhone4 again? How many years are you locked in for? Wake up dude!

8. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Dream Phone: HTC Branded, with Apples iphone interface + Retina display + The amount of apps itunes have but instead, most of em are free + 1.5 Ghz Dual core snapdragon processor + Massive battery + 4G.

:(

9. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I can sympathise with that kind of thing. Apple run too much of a tight ship, which is annoying. I still can live without all that stuff though, so I'm still a fan of the phone. I would prefer it was run differently though of course. I would prefer to have Flash player and more freedom to unlock the true potential of the phone. But even without that, I still think it's a great phone and there is nothing else I would prefer. Yet.

The HTC Desire came close, and I read that there is a dual core HTC coming in around 6 months or so. In a year I can choose another phone, so maybe then there will be a better alternative to the iPhone. For now though, I'm happy, even if Apple are Nazis.

10. crazyceo

It will be called a Windows Mobile 7 and it's out in a few months!

(Sorry, I'll get my coat)

11. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Why doesn't it get more play that Apple has overtaken MS in the evil department? This, the patent found a while back that would force you to respond to ads on your iFail devices or lock them down until you did, the whole IOS/iTunes ecosystem...ryall has it dead on.

Is it just that their marketshare in desktop PCs is still so pathetic that it isn't worth considering? Something about Jobs and the turtlenecks? (Why always the turtlenecks? WHY?) That their industrial design department had two good ideas they've been recycling lo these many years? I like shiny, just not so much that I'm willing to pay double so Jobs can make even moar money and get bumped ahead on the transplant list.

12. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

If you jailbroke youd have frash :) I do ;)
    (and no thats not a typo, thats what flash is called for iphone :))

13. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

That would be nice but I doubt I would get much use for it unless it could play Kongregate games.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What do y'all think is happening now? You buy a physical product that is subsidised by the telco network it is registered on (you didn't really think that level of tech only costs £100,-- did you?), with an OS on it that you don't own but are licenced to use. The wireless services it hooks into are leased.

So yes, the silicon and plastic is yours. Everything else that makes it a smartphone is leased. It is like that with all smartphones. And it has never been a problem --not for me anyway.

You own your own dick so Apple doesn't care where you stick it (and neither do I, frankly). But you are leasing the use of the internet connection and telco companies (not Apple!) object when you suck data down in huge chunks to use VoiP or tethering. Blame them --they are setting the limits. Apple just enforces them because otherwise, like Microsoft did with the Kin, it ends up with a Smartphone that cannot find a telco company to connect to.

I upgraded from my 3G to the iPhone 4 for £40,-- (iPhone 4: £219,-- minus recycled 3G: £179,--). For that privilige O2 has me locked into a 2 year contract, not Apple. O2 feels (not unreasonably) that it can do that because it paid two thirds of the cost of my £600,-- device for me. It now charges me a handsome monthly fee for my phone and data services. Apple has nothing to do with it.

We can but hope; I really like what I have seen of the Mobile 7. But I am in no doubt at all that it will be marketed with the same draconian control on price and use as the iPhone.

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Do you ever feel that nobody has even bothered to read your post?

And when did this turn into another Apple bashing thread?

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sorry. Back to your post:
    I think that is most likely what is happening. But it is also important to consider that just because a court deemed a particular use of a product legal does not prevent a manufacturer from making it impossible --it is not illegal to do it, but it is not illegal to prevent people from doing it either. It is perfectly legal to tether or use VoiP over 3G but the Telco companies prevent smartphones from doing either where possible, unless for a substantial additional fee.

17. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

apple is just wasting its time. they are like sony and the psp... they should concentrate on freeing their customers from having to deal with att...

18. ubiquity

ubiquity What's a Dremel?

I jailbroke my 3G when it was out of contact and while it opened the door to applications that Apple had deemed 'inappropriate' it also made the phone much less stable.

I do find it amusing, however, that Apple does not properly check all the apps that go through the store. I purchased a 59p flashlight app that has WiFi leathering hidden away in the code... tee hee hee!

19. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I think apple only checks the application's documented functionality and security - I'm not sure they require the developers to submit their source code. Even if they did, they would have to hire programmers to sift through all those lines of code and understand what each one does. In short, I don't think this is the last time we will see "hidden functionality"

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sign me up for that! that's easier than looking for the walk and red hair

even though I like the iphone.. to tell you the truth all I ever use a smartphone for is google

I don't store videos of naked cowboys on my phone like everyone else seems to do.. I still remember one guy saying- if you show me the videos you got, I'll show you mine.. like it was some sort of club, I felt so out of the loop :D and according to nexxo iphone users are banging around like sheep

Tags: Add Tags