1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks ???Does anyone know how to hack a 56k modem???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PC JUNKY, 18 Jan 2003.

1. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

I would like to hack my 56k modem so's to bump up it's speed.

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Not generally possible unless it's a very crap 56k modem, most of them are designed to run at the max speed in the first place.

However you could try playing with some of the modem settings like parity etc.

3. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Messing with the modem itself won't do you any good. You're speed's all based on the quality of your phone lines (the actual wires) and the speed of your actual connection (who you're dialing up to).

We were getting sub-28.8k speeds about a month ago and were having crackling sounds while on the phone. We found out water was leaking into our lines somewhere and the phone company came out & replaced them. We're now getting 38.4k. Not spectacular but a good bit of difference for new wires. BTW, out driveway is 1/4 mile long, and so is that new phone line. I'm sure were losing a bit of speed because of that, too..

4. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Well the thing that is really bugging the **** out of me is that I am getting a connection reading of 45.3Kbps most of the time but when I am downloading stuff I only get a reading of 3.0 to 4.0Kbps can you tell me what the problem is. I am using earthlink as my ISP as they are the most stable service I have ever run across.

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

X-setup can do this hack, but it most likley wont work for you.
    (search google)

You need to have a good HARDWARE based modem, not a Win-Modem, you need to live with-in a couple hundred feet of a phone switching station, and the modem you are calling needs to be hacked too.

6. Annon

Annon What's a Dremel?

That is because that 45.3Kbps is in kilo-bits per second and that 3.0 to 4.0 KB/s is in kilo-bytes per second. A byte is made up of 8 bits so if we divide 45.3 by 8 bits it will tell you your maximum download speed in KB/s. 45.3 divided by 8 gives 5.6625 KB/s, which is your maximum download speed in optimal conditions.

7. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

a modem wont actualy ever connect at 56k b/c the FCC fears that the tones used in 56k signaling will interfere with other equipment. It is hence limited to 49k. BTW IMHO Earthlink is teh sux0r.

8. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Or not, as i always connect at anyting between 50 and 53k and im on crappy freeserve anytime FFS.
    And i beleive that it was RTT that could connect at 56k speeds and get constant d/l's of 6.5kb/sec

9. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Most all 56K modems are actually sending and receiving data at 33.6K and COMPRESSED... via v.90 or Flex or V.92. or something. The US standard says nothing can go faster than 53k without a dedicated circuit. Not a phone line and analog signalling (Modems are analog, they communicate through the tones that indicate 1s and 0s... Not Logic voltage...)

10. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Mmm.. 56k is a theoretical maximum, under perfect line conditions. I would class perfect in being next to the ISP's modem.

I quite agree with Fatboy here. When I used to work on the modem racks at Compuserve, there seemed to be quite a few people connected at over 49k, so the FCC didn't seem to mind then.

11. criminally insane

criminally insane What's a Dremel?

get broadband :lol: :lol: :lol:

/me hugs DSL

12. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

FCC limits to 53kbps, and yes because of signal interference. The main trunks are designed to handle the analog voice @ 56 kbps equivalent maximums. any greater and the lines can cross talk. IE you and your neighbour get the same call... I had that problem once, but that was because they were blasting a k or so away and it shifted the bedrock enough to half, sever the phone line (underground) and they had to come and dig a hole in our yard...

13. SleeperDC

SleeperDC What's a Dremel?

in the TCP/IP file transfer, each packet have to have a header, so it will lower the actual transfer rate.

14. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

actually the 53k limit is a FCC regulation.. lots of telcos also introduce noise into the phone system or something similar like RBS to limit your speed.

imho anything over a 40some k connect is awesome..

try giving your modem the init s37=6 see what that gives ya.. :naughty:

-scoob8000

15. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

??? init s37=6 ???

16. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

It's a init string passed to your modem after the AT command, It'll give you a 2400 bits/second connection....

:D

17. scoob8000

i'm evil.. i really wouldnt try using that init, unless you have like uber line noise, or use it for a joke.. better yet.. put it on your friends pc.. :)

-scoob8000

18. riggs

riggs ^_^

I have a question:

Why does Windows tell me that my modem connects at 115Kbps (does this most of the time, 44Kbps is the other connection speed I get).

It just bugs me that it's not reporting the speed right (wish I was connected at 115Kbps!!) - I still get 4-5k/s download speeds...

...is there any way to fix it?

19. scoob8000

yah, what modem do you have and what version of windows.. its a init string actually, but they vary on modem manufacture...

-scoob8000

20. riggs

riggs ^_^

its a Diamond SupraExpress 56ePro...and I'm running WinXP...

Tags: