1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News XCOM remake officially announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Apr 2010.

1. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

My first impression were "FPS??? WTF!?!?!?!?"
    But, if they had announced a remake in isometric view with a new story, I'd hardly be drooling at the prospect either.

I'm going to keep an open mind about this until I see more.
    Having a co-op where you and a friend jointly assault downed UFOs or infiltrated buildings sounds cool.
    Doing it with a stealth option like splinter cell also sounds pretty groovy.
    These games always end up with a squad of your guys in awesome(tm) armour with BFGs(tm) blowing away the entire building along with any alien threat.
    Getting up close and chibbing an alien in the back sounds like a good laugh if nothing else.

There's quite a few unique options open if they think about it, and don't just churn out another FPS with new alien skins on the models. :)

2. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Another example of Suits and MBAs being stupid!

All one would have to do is reskin the old game, X-Com, and you would have a huge hit. If they actually put some thought into it and improved the story (after Mars goto the aliens homeworld(s)) it would be game of the year.
    Alos, isometric and 3-d are not mutually exclusive, they could have a 3d engine with presets that put you in the tradition 3/4s view, but also allowed you to change your point of view with the mouse.

I wonder how much the lobotomy adds to the cost of an MBA.

X-Com is still one of my favorite games of all time. The seamless merging of Tactics and Strategy and one affecting the other is still one of the best in all of PC Gaming history.

Yours in remembering 1995,
    Star*Dagger

3. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

First person shooter, they really thought long and hard about this one,

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

The tried making an X-Com fps waaay back but it got canned, can't recall whether it was due to lack of progress, withdrawal of funding or if the simply couldn't get it to work as a game.
    I remember seeing some sample screen shots as it was in development and it did look interesting and allowed you to jump into any member of your squad as you played along.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Darth Joules likes this.
  6. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

By "they" if you mean a certain UK games developer that now no longer exists, it was a spiritual successor rather than a franchise sequel, but it got canned because the company got canned.

I can't see an X-Com FPS working. X-Com Enforcer was a turkey IMHO (and critically) that jumped on the FPS bandwagon way back then and this is another shallow attempt. A tactical/stratergy third person squad based game with elements of the original's research/base management would have piqued my interest. I have a horrible feeling that this will turn out along the lines of a Men In Black FPS.

For those who need a new X-Com fix, though the original (EU) and TFTD are still a blast, should keep an eye on UFO 2 Extraterrestrials. The UFO After series are quite forgettable and rather rubbish, but UFO Extraterrestials is also worth a look at too so long as you use the Bman "Ease of Use" mod which both improves the game and brings it closer to a "X-Com like" experience.

That and what impar just posted a link to.

7. vandigeth

vandigeth What's a Dremel?

this is a load of horsedung...

they better not screw this up.. after interceptor and enforcer i had completely lost faith of ever seeing another addition to the xcom series...

The last FPS I bought was Half-Life 1 the day it was released if that gives you any idea.... even this game, I'll wait until it's in the $10 bin on Steam or something.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

9. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

x-com the enemy notknown or even have any idea of its secret hide-outs , so this must be xcom v alkiieda or mr bin-laid-off and in my secret hiding hole in the mountains of pakistan or its swamps and lakes . its nice to know that the american army has used this flooding to move its troops into northern pakistan , dont the yanks know that pakistan has nukes .

10. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

i think it could be a great game if it was mission based like ET enemy territory, multi-player could go like this, the american pres has been kidnaped and your team has to go after the kidnapers , but your mission is not to save the pres but blow his head off , they could also do the same plot for the uk and most of the eu nations, thats the kind of game i would play ,kill the pres fun for all, but not for the pres or prime ministers .

11. RaduAndrei

RaduAndrei What's a Dremel?

I WISH 2K Games and 2K Marin Studio to be BLESS by GOD .... and I hope this new game will be in the same way were X-com ufo defence (ufo enemy unknown) and X-com terror from the deep but with modern graphics ... this two games was the greatest games I ever played , now I have 28 years, and finished them for the last time at 26 years. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags: Add Tags