1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Where can I get a case anodised with custom artwork added to it?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BorgmanJayce, 30 Aug 2010.

1. BorgmanJayce

BorgmanJayce What's a Dremel?

I'm planning on building a HTPC in a few months time when I get my bursary money from university and the case that I'm planning on buying is a Silverstone CW03 HTPC case as it has what I need; especially where drive bays space is concerned.

The thing is, I'm hoping to commission some fanservice fanart of one of my favorite Anime/Manga characters; Ami Mizuno aka Sailor Mercury from Sailor Moon and I'm looking to having it added on the top of the case.

In any case (if you'll pardon the pun), where can I get the case painted in the UK or the US with a Anodised coat both inside and out as well as have the artwork put on the case (if possible without the artwork being airbrushed on) as I've tried Googling for a company that would do that sort of thing without success...

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

You have pretty much no chance of that, Anodising in different layers wouldn't work so you would have to get it anodised, then airbrushed

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

other than airbrushing the case to create the artwork there really isn't many other options.

One method i've been wanting to try is etching anodised aluminium back to raw aluminium but combined with a vinyl stencil. Would therefore create a 2 tone image.

4. BorgmanJayce

It's a shame that I can't incorporate artwork onto a anodised case.

Would it be possible to incorporate the artwork on a painted case that isn't anodised as the artwork concerned would be done in a manga-type style and I don't think it would look good if it was airbrushed.

On another note, I swear I remember there were some firms based in the US that did this sort of thing but they wouldn't take orders from the UK at all.

5. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

Is this of any help? He does awesome airbrushing on PC's... http://www.rbcustoms.co.uk/Index.html

though as bigsharn said you may have to have the case anodised first. It may also be useful to do some quick doodles/sketches/photoshop type thing, so you have a visual representation of your idea to help other people understand what you have in mind.

Hope it helps :thumb:

6. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Anodising of aluminium is a strange process, it doesn't itself add any colour to the base metal. When you see anodised aluminium in pretty colours it's a dye underneath a clear anodised coat. With this in mind it may be possible to selectively apply different dyes and then anodise the part. The difficulty would be that the aluminium needs to be bare aluminium before it's anodised, you can't anodise on top of anodising. There is a special process used to prepare aluminium for anodising and once that has been done the clock is ticking on doing the anodising, the bare aluminium will begin to form aluminium oxide on surfaces exposed to air and aluminium oxide can't be anodised (anodised aluminium forms an aluminium oxide layer).

Moriquendi

7. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

get your graphics printed onto vinyl. most print shops in your area should be able to print on vinyl.

8. BorgmanJayce

Thanks for the advice, Moriquendi.

The case I'm planning on getting is the Silver version and I'm not too sure if that's bare aluminium or if it's painted or not.

LatinSpirit; I'll be sure to check out the site you linked to.

On another note, when I finish building this Mod, I'll definitely be posting it here.

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the silver version is also anodised, in order to produce a consistent product.

11. Moriquendi

You don't get plain aluminium products really, even if it were untreated when it left the factory it would have formed an oxide layer by the time it reached you, the oxide layer is the same, though thinner, as the layer formed by anodising. What ever the finish on the case you will have to strip / prepare it before anodising.

Moriquendi

12. Moriquendi

You don't get plain aluminium products really, even if it were untreated when it left the factory it would have formed an oxide layer by the time it reached you, the oxide layer is the same, though thinner, as the layer formed by anodising. What ever the finish on the case you will have to strip / prepare it before anodising.

Moriquendi

13. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Rather wrong.

You anodize first and then boil your part whith dyes that get sealed onto the fresh oxide layer formed on the surface.
    Yes you do not anodize over older anodizing.
    There are several anodizers that offer multicolor anodizing through process involving masks and serial anodizing.

This has been used extensively in decorating paintball guns.
    Two links:
    http://www.metalfinishing.com/view/...ive-redefines-the-art-of-aluminum-anodizing-/
    http://www.anolaze.com/paintball.htm

I seem to remember some sites where you can order this online.

EDIT: I think the first ones may be could anodize images for you.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2010
  14. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest