1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Suggest a game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by craigp84, 31 Aug 2010.

1. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

This.

2. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

Civilization V.

Its pretty much the oppoisite of what you described - no story, open ended not like a film at all..

But I would feel like a traitor to Sid Meier if I didn't mention it. Go ahead and play Pirates! as well. Sid Meier > everyone

3. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

+1 to that :thumb:

4. cian1500ww

cian1500ww Drunken Irish Dude

Starcraft 2 :)

5. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Agree.

Borderland is another great game.

and NO NO NO for Supreme Commander 2 :(

i have SUCH big dissapointment on that game... i enjoyed the first pretty thoroughly, then spend another $60 on the second game.... UGH! im beating myself with it.

My RTS recommendations:
    with resource: StarCraft2
    without resource: Dawn of War 2 and/or Company of Heroes
    the Total War series is kinda nice, along with King Arthur...

My RPG recommendation:
    Borderland
    Mass Effect series
    or wait until Mafia2 gets a discount in Steam...

My FPS recommendation:
    BFBC2 (or BF2 old-skool. love it.)
    ARMA2 (a little hardcore but great graphic and great war-sim)

My 3rd person recommendation:
    Transformer: Battle for Cybertron.

thats all i can think of for now................... :rock:

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Another person that loved the first but didn't like the second.

If you didn't enjoy it, could I maybe buy your copy? I just need a serial number that hasn't been registered on Steam for a friend.

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

That's a refreshingly unconventional recommendation. I approve.

For my part, I'll follow suit with another unknown, under-appreciated game: Soul Reaver 2.

The combat is 'meh', but if you like strong characterization and awesome design/concept then it'll rock your undergarments.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Played and enjoyed both of those games. Max Payne 2 is definitely up the with the best 3rd person action games ever made. It literally makes you feel like Neo!

9. blackadda15

blackadda15 What's a Dremel?

The Witcher a great RPG and a and a great adaptable story

10. craigp84

craigp84 What's a Dremel?

Many thanks for all these recommendations folks.

2 really stand out for me, Max Payne and Half Life 2.

I'd already picked up half life 2 again (had previously got some way through the game) [EDIT] 2 days before i posted the question. I'm enjoying it and i think i'll complete it.

Max Payne 2 looks like it could be a winner, had a look on steam, £5.99, nice! Will be downloading that.

The civ recommendation, i have Civ 4, but i've never opened the shrink wrap yet. Reading the cover, it's definately something that should hold my attention. I got hooked on Sid Meiers Railroads last year for a couple of weeks.

11. Redbeaver

Aaaaah how could ive forgotten that!!!!! :duh:

yes please! play this game. awesomeness....

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I agree. Mass effect 2 is just great. Nearly completed now, so I'm going to lost for what else to play. Roll on Mass effect 3.

Do you like tactical shooters? If so Rainbow Six vegas 2 is one of my favourite online games.

Also Assassin's creed 2 is a worth while play.
    Another is Splinter cell Conviction which I enjoyed.

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Sep 2010
    Teelzebub likes this.
  13. Redbeaver

Just my 2c...

the genre tactical shooter in my book died with Rainbow Six: Rogue Spears :rock:
    ARMA series is much better but a little too..... milsim to enjoy on a multiplayer level. yes, im just not that hardcore:naughty:

For 3rd persons:
    Assasin's Creed series (1 and 2) are both GREAT! kickin myself too why i forgot about this one. Go play them!
    Splinter Cell is my favourite (slightly above Hitman series) EXCEPT the last 2 games. good games, but not on par with the previous ones, that's all.

there, more games for consideration :)

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

splinter cell ended with chaos theory

15. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Gotta agree with gunsmith from eariler in the thread. For strategy the upcoming R.U.S.E. is a brilliant suggestion. I played the pre-release weekend and absolutely loved it. Its the first time in quite a while i've had to play with 'actual' strategy and not 'build more stuff faster than them'. Civ is always a must have imho.

3rd persons then Assassin's Creed 2 definitely, the first one, never again! Its absolutely awesome...for 30 minutes then you realise that EVERYTHING you do is exactly the same every single time. The second one relieves this issue and the next one (Brotherhood iirc) looks to be even more awesome and storyline is good in all the AC games.

FPS stuff then i'm surprised Left For Dead 2 hasn't been mentioned (if it has then sorry). Not great story wise (although alot better than alot of mindless shooters) but for pure fun factor its absolutely fantastic. Where else can you say you rode your mate down a dark alley and have them laugh about it??

One random suggestion, if you like a bit of RPG, Overlord and The Bard's Tale. They're simple, easy, not exactly great games but i found them to be great fun and a good laugh. They're probably marmite games though.

With you're statement of wanting to play something that 'felt like playing a movie' get MGS4, its about half an hour before you touch the damn control pad! :lol:

16. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

If you're into science fiction Half Life and Mass Effect would be a good place to start.

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Some PS3 based suggestions would be Uncharted 1 and 2, Killzone 2, God of War 3, GTAIV and Red Dead Redemtpion.

With the exception of Red Dead Redemption they have all been out for a while so you should be able to pick them up second hand pretty cheaply. Uncharted 1 is a great game but the second one is simply outstanding and looks amazing.

18. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Really ??

:hehe::hehe:

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

GoW3 requires a bit of backstory in the form of 1 and 2 to fully grasp, but it does a good job of reminding the player of what happened and helping late-comers get into the game. The story is quite rich and fullfilling with Kratos's epic feats and the gameplay, though simple, is better defined as "accessible" than "button mashing". Its linear nature also makes it an excellent pick up game that you can play whenever you want and still know just what to do. Certainly a good suggestion imo.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

maybe batman arkham asylum if want something different than a fps