1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory WD Passport Stopped appearing upon upgrading firmware

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hehaaj, 24 Aug 2010.

1. hehaaj

hehaaj What's a Dremel?

Hey.

I've bough new WD Passport 500 Gb for backup purpose. And i've backed up all office/personal data on drive and deleted some old data from orignal source as well. Now today i thought of upgrading the drive firmware. And it upgraded successfully, but it drive stopped appearing in control panel, Disk management and device manager.

This is so embarassing for me, as i bought this drive for backup and the whole backup is unaccessable. Can any one please help me out in this as WD team are stupid a$$es and cant do anything except replacing the drive :mad:

For all WD Useres. please don't upgrade the firmware or drive software. But any one got any solutions how to downgrade the firmware or possible way to access the data?

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

are you seeing the drive on post? if not there's not much you can do but get it replaced

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

why did you upgrade the firmware if the drive was working fine ?

is it picked up in the bios ?

4. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Have you tried accessing the data with a linux machine/live cd? It can never hurt to try that.

5. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

As a last resort... you could open it up and directly connect it via the SATA connector on the hard disk itself.

6. J05H11E

J05H11E Fujitsu Technical Analyst

are you sure you used the correct firmware for your external? you could have bricked it if you used the firmware for a different model