1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Need some help fitting a 140mm rad..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mars-bar-man, 2 Sep 2010.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Hey people.

I've got a Lian Li PC-Q08B which is getting watercooled. At present, I've got a 120mm rad in the roof cooling just the CPU, but I want to put my 460 under water as well, so realistically I'm going to need another rad, I've chosen a 140mm one because there's a 140mm fan at the front of the case.

Now, I could fit these absolutely fine, not an issue. There's enough space etc. But, here's the issue, I have 2 HDDs, a 1tb and a 500gb. I would like them both to be fitted internally. Although if needs be, I could get an external HDD case and put the 500gb in there as the storage/backup drive.

The radiator in question I'm trying to fit is either a Magicool Slim radiator or a Black Ice Stealth radiator (already have a 120mm version of this).

I'll be using a drive bay res as well, so that's the res out the way, I was tempted to mount an HDD behind the res, but I'm not to sure on this atm.

Here's some photos of the PC-Q08 that Aquatuning did for i40 to see if it'll help out. I'm also using an SFX PSU, so where they've mounted the PSU outside the case, mine'll be internal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you need anymore photos, let me know.

All help is appreciated.

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Happy to help if you post a few pics up of your own rig :thumb:

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Will do :) I'm using a Laing DCC now though, not the D5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently looks nothing like that though, there's nothing in the case, RMA's the mobo, so it's all boxed up, but that's what it looked like just before hand.

4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Is there enough room under the psu to sqeeze them in ?

Mark

5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Should be, it's just the width of them encroaching on the GPU. There's 10cm from the side of the case, to the GPU. An HDD is 10cm.. it's cutting it real fine.

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Moving/removing the hard disk cage seems to be the only option

7. cian1500ww

cian1500ww Drunken Irish Dude

What if you moved the hard drives to the space under the graphics cards so that you could remove the hard drive cage to allow you to fit the rad at the front. You'd have to find some way of securing the hard drives there though...

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yeah, I figured :/ I'll just have to buy an external HDD enclosure then.

Something like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because that can work :) Just need to find a cheap 460 waterblock now.

9. cian1500ww

Yeah, that's what I was thinking on. The only caveat I could see with putting them there is whether they'll get adequate airflow to stay cool. The bottom will probably be the coolest spot for them considering hot air rises but with the PSU and GPU down there, it'll be something you should take into consideration if you do put them at the bottom.

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

*sigh*

I think I'm just going to have to forget putting the 460 underwater.There's not really anywhere I can realistically place the HDD's :/

11. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

You could prob configure it so that the other fans exhaust out of the case and encourage fresh air to be drawn in through the bottom cooling the harddrive as it goes however you would prob need to test this.

12. cian1500ww

Stick the HD's at the bottom and see how they fair out temperature wise. If they're getting hot, you could put a slimline fan on the outside underneath blowing cold air into the bottom through those grills. You might have to get case feet that'll raise the case higher to allow for the fan though.