1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung preps wireless USB chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 6 Sep 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

The major problem here being that its obviously not b/g/n compatible. Its a new format entirely.
    So, they are talking about televisions; I assume for internet tv(?); and yet it probably won't work with your existing router.

If you are a wireless fan, you therefore need b/g/n dongles for your PC's to connect to the router, samsung wireless dongles for your protable tech and a powerlead to charge it.

At these speeds, IF it can corner the market it might be quite good, but I can't see it overthrowing established tech. (Unless the dongle they makes includes a compatible b/g/n chip as well.)

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's wireless *USB* - it's not for networking at all! It's literally a wireless replacement for a USB cable, between - for example - a camera and a PC.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I have 8-10 USB devices...and none use the power feature.
    Maybe the issue isn't so big as suggested here?

5. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Point taken, but this further raises a "whats the point" question.
    Add a wireless "n" chip to your device, then have that goddam awful transfer software you always have to install look for wireless devices on your network and transfer via the existing wireless network.
    Voila, wireless transfer, at high speed, without all the R&D costs, and without the consumer needing yet more dongles.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Who mentioned dongles? The point is to have the chips *built-in* - that's why they come with a NAND controller and SD support.

Plus, you find me an 802.11n chip which costs as little as this thing will, takes up as little room on a PCB, and draws 300mW under full load. G'wan.

You're comparing apples to Megatron here.

7. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to wireless keyboard and mice which don't need to be sold with their own propriety dongle.

"plug and play" would become "open box and play"

8. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Gareth, I am obviously failing miserably to understand this tech. And I apologise for raising non-issues.

Last question. How does the master PC that the device is going to sync to send and recieve the data? Surely it needs the same tech in the PC, and that means expansion cards or dongles until the motherboard manufacturers stat implementing built in chips?
    Like you said, "it's been a finished specification since 2005 but is most likely nowhere to be seen in your rig."

I just immediately assumed that a dongle was going to be needed.

9. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

Obviously a dongle or PCI card would be needed until it was integrated into motherboards, and I assume you would only need a single dongle to connect multiple devices.

Bluetooth devices for the PC haven't really caught on, hopefully the simplicity of being able to use existing USB drivers for a wireless device will encourage manufacturers to start using the technology

10. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

whats the point in this?

you wil sill have to have you pc switched on

why dont they save themselfs the trouble and just release a wifi router with nas support built in s you just attach a usb hdd to it

11. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

errr... they have

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I think the point here is, yes, OK, it doesn't replace certain current applications of USB because they (very sensibly) included power with USB. It might, I think, suggest entirely new uses that were never practical in the first place, though.

13. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I really hope this takes off. It would be nice to have a universal wirelelss standard for peripherals supported everywhere, from all motherboards, to games consoles, etc. Because I sure as heck don't see that with Bluetooth yet!

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

to late make it usb3 capable, then release it initially as a usb3 pcie card with wireless usb in it as well

i mean speed wise not power.

15. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

i can see it being usefull for most peripherals that you dont want next to ur pc or screen, printers, scanners, hell even card hubs, wireless usb stick anyone?? id get one just so i dont have to faff around plugging in and out to do work at home - if the range is something like 10m then i think it will be a hit

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Sounds like blue tooth to me. A slight bit different of course but if my computer doesn't have blue tooth then why would it ever have this?

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Agreed. We already have a standard for low-power wireless data.

While it hasn't really taken off on desktops, it sure is popular on smartphones and laptops.

What would this provide that Bluetooth doesn't?

18. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

second'd

and furthermore, dont some motherboards already have bluetooth tech on-board?

19. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Yea but it is more of a novelty.

This could be cool for all sorts of remotes too by simplifying the connections.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Bandwidth.

Tags: Add Tags