1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: BLACK ICE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by andrew8200m, 20 Jun 2010.

1. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Evening Guys and Gals! Figured I would build up a new project of sorts.. Thinking of down sizing on the system a little and going 1156 until 1155 becomes available at the end of the Year/beginning of next. This also means lots of goodies going up for sale in a few weeks based around the 1366 socket including some watercooling and a pair of 5970's

Lets begin!

System Specs will be as follows.

i3 530
    Asus Sabertooth i55
    4gb G.Skill ECO 1.35v 1600mhz cl8 ram
    Asus CuCore 5850
    500GB Samsung F1
    Fractal Design newton R2 800W psu
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Modified Single Stage unit
    Lian li PC 60

Now lets start with the planning and initial ideas.

This system will consist of a full PC60 v2 and the lower half of a PC60 v1 which will house the SS unit.

1. Gloss white Powder coated exterior panels?
    2. Black anodized drive bay blanking plates (5.25" and 3.5")
    3. Black anodized 5.25" fan controller unit. (unknown)
    4. Black anodized 120.3 Radiator grill for the roof as to increase the ventilation in what sadly is a poorly ventilated case.
    5. Matt black Powder coated interior.
    6. Full set of black Sata cables OR Black braided standard cables.
    7. 24pin, pci-e 6 and 8pin and 8pin EPS individually sleeved cables in black.
    8. Black fans with White blades. (unknown, possibly fractal)
    9. Smoked side window.
    10. Selection of white lighting inside the case.
    11. Full water cooling loop consisting of (you've guessed it) Black 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing, chrome comp fittings, nickel plated 5850 block with black acetal top.

Estimated completion 4-6weeks.

Thoughts?? Will get up and running with the project over the next few days.

Andy

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Well as you lot are boring and didnt want to participate in the "thoughts" bit I decided to just get on with it!

Anyway...

Teaser :p

[​IMG]

Andy

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Tis kinda difficult to comment on a post that's just a parts list - the rules also state that you're first post should include pictures of the mod in progress. This is for a reason - to avoid parts lists posts and to get other users interested in "participating in the thoughts" :thumb: ;)

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Indeed I agree on that however why purchase a shed load of parts to then have folk say "well actually you could have got blah bah instead..." and then I would think "damn.. wasted money on such and such.."

Also, how can one include pics of a mod in progress when it has not been started??

Well... there we have it... mini teaser.

Ill get up the "work log" so to speak over the coming hours.

Andy

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Hubba Hubba!

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I had to read that twice :) Usually you start the mod and post the process, then people follow on knowing that you are actually working on the mod in anticipation that there are updates to come.

7. DeadP1xels

DELETE my comment here please

mistake :S

8. DeadP1xels

Maybe this is no usual mod :thumb:

You can start one before, its nice to get ideas before you start from other people

edit: pc f'ed up sorry for double post OP

9. Combatus

That is what the modding forum is for as you're able to create a thread and under the drop down menu and select 'Planning'. If you haven't started work on the case, that is the place to post stuff, especially for ironing out hardware choices, case design etc. Then when work begins, create a project log in this forum with pics of the work so far and continue from there.

10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Ah, my mistake, must have gone into auto pilot mode when I put it up.

Anyway.. I gave in waiting and just started at it :p

Andy

11. Combatus

If that enthusiasm is anything to go by, we can all look forward to this one :D Looking forward to it!

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It's easy to do mate.I have done it before myself, just last week on a new project when my mate pointed out that i hadn't taken any pics, ah bugger.lol

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

nice, does this mean your other PC-70 is unused now? Dieing to get hold of a nice side panel! lol!

14. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

It is indeed but as its such a lovely case and finished in a rather spiffy old school manor with built in water cooling it wont be too cheap im affraid...

Anywho...

Wee update... A working system so all is good in that respect. When with the cheapest components I have to ensure I know itll be ok for the big guns. Anyway... who wants to see??

:)

Andy

15. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Ill update with pics anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there you have it :)

Andy

16. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

Nice :D . Finished it quickly:). i thought that work would take several weeks. Overestimate of time lol.

17. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Far from finished... Need to water cool a pair of 5970s... Replace the sabertooth/ram/i3 with a P6TD deluxe and an i7 970 when its released along with some OCZ reaper ram.. 12GB should do it.

Got my sst-st1200, mobo, ram, gpus lined up already to be fair... Currently sat in my last build. New hex core and water cooling for the 5970s is what I am after next.

Sabertooth system was more of a "test bed" to save breaking any of the expensive kit :)

Andy

18. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

A couple of small updates here...
    Firstly... out goes the sabertooth with its i3 and the dual chanel ram...

In comes the so1366 P6TD Deluxe with i7 920 at 4.92ghz bench stable (4.6ghz 24/7 happy) at a chilly -46 idle, -37 loaded.

As you can see here, (excuse poor images, these will be retaken with a better camera another day) a lovely set of Asus voltage tweak GTX 480s.

[​IMG]

And here they are installed and looking pretty :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took receipt of another lovely toy today too, an MSI gtx480, so many thanks to OcUK on a fantastic price for that!

[​IMG]

And a small vantage run (yes PPU is enabled) to have a smile over :)

[​IMG]

All that is left is to now either fit the classi and drop in an 980X or to have a look into another motherboard which will most likely turn out to be the Rampage III Extreme.

When this motherboard is fitted a full set of Koolance water blocks and back plates will be fitted along to each of the three GTX480s that in turn shall be cooled by an externally mounted SR1 120.4 with 8x Enermax Cluster fans and an MCP355 with tube resevoir.

The build still has a way to go but for the time being 2x 480s that run 875/1750/4200 on air not topping 74c loaded make for excellent gaming and none competitive benching on the glory that is an 3008WFP :)

*updates to come shortly*

Andy

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

jealous, very jealous!

20. flare

flare What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: That case looks so nice!

How heavy is it out of interest?