1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux VNC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pookeyhead, 6 Sep 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

My server is running Vista, as I just couldn't be bothered changing it (it was the only OS I had when I built it).

I've like to run some flavour of Linux on it, but I need to administer it via VNC as it's headless. I use Ultra VNC at the moment, but if I put Linux on the server... is there something I can use to monitor the server from my windows desktop?

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Most of the major distros have VNC installed out the box if not its fairly trivial to install.

tbh though once you get the hang of it you can just use putty and control it all via the cli.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

this is what i use to have

Ubuntu on the server and used ultraVNC to control it

Ubuntu has a decent built in VNC server, you just need to set it up

Pookeyhead likes this.
  4. Pookeyhead

Ok.. gotcha.. so they don't have to use the SAME VNC server... that's what I was driving at really.

Thanks. :)

5. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Excepting I think TinyVNC, they all use the same protocol as the VNC daemon that you'd activate in your linux install.

I'd err on the side of recommending you go CLI on it unless you have a must-have need for the GUI.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

If you do use VNC, make sure you don't fiddle with the firewall while VNC is the only way of accessing the server, don't ask me how i learned that lesson....

7. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

You also could manage your server with webmin. It's easy to install and you can perform almost all administrative task.

Some programs like amule have their own webservice for remote control.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

na, all web based interfaces i've used are crap.

my server when it was windows based i used utorrent web interface to try and manage the downloads but that was crap.

Moved to ubuntu out of curiosity sake, and used transmission. Same again crap interface.

far better to just dial in via VNC

I like ubuntu, but its security rights levels are f**king annoying, esspecially setting up network shares.

9. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

With webmin you can manage samba shares, printers and user easily. Take a look.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

once setup there fine, but if your like me and had several HDD in your server then going in to setup access rights to each drive, then adding samba shares. Well its too much hassle!

11. Pookeyhead

I may use the CLI on the server side, and Ultra VNC client side. I'll no doubt be asking questions when I do this. No time to get into it just now, but in a few weeks I'll make a start on it.

Thanks