1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung preps wireless USB chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 6 Sep 2010.

1. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

whats the bandwidth limit with bluetooth?

2. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

how are you going to power a memory stick, if you put a battey in it, it will need charging and thus you'll need a charger, pushing the price of the device up, and the chargers wont be "universal/compatible".

if only there was a type of connection maybe a serial bus that many devices could plug into that was able to output a charge and transfer data at the ssame time, maybe a series of universal cables and connections on lots of devices like phones, memory sticks, external hdds, printers etc, it would simplify my cable collection

3. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

not all USB connecting devices use the USB power. many phones and cameras have to have their battery in and be turned on in order to connect. wireless USB would be perfect for those situations. obviously things like thumb drives and external hard drives would need to be plugged in to work (although, picture a USB connected hard drive sitting in the bedroom on a wall-wart without having to run a USB cable to the PC).

some devices will charge over USB as well. phones and mp3 players for example...

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

What is this? Just a new term for blue tooth? Seriously, we dont need another format in the wireless world. How about we use the ones we have already in place and widely used on a plethora of devices. Blue tooth had great intentions with lack of good support from software vendors (IE MS.... ) so lets make another one that is kinda the same but totally different in spec... Did anyone else consider that the same problem that happened with blue tooth was that devices need batteries to be wireless? I dont want to spend any money beyond my initial purchase for my media card reader, or webcam or any other device that may need batteries. Power cable you say? I say then whats the point of the entire scheme?

*sarcasm* Hey I got an idea! Lets make all computers wireless! I'll just need 400 car batteries and a forklift to move it around... but it will be totally wireless! *sarcasm*

[rant]The day I can plop down a device on a pad to power it and connect it to my PC is the day I will get excited. I just get annoyed with these schemers and their tactics of 'lets make it really cool! then we can sell all the addons and make the whole thing really profitable!'. How about this model; Make a damn decision about your product and what you want it to do, then do it. Shove all the little money grubbers down a hole and make something great that will actually be useful. Damnit I want a device pad thing that does what I just said...[/rant]

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm going to have to go with the "What's the point" crown. Sync my camera to my PC? Pull out the CF card, no problem. The phone? I can handle having a cord for that.

It's also been my experience that wireless is always more complicated and difficult than a comparable wired system.

Wireless networking: Turn on devices, look for correct network, enter passwords, mess with profiles and connection priorities.

Wired networking: Plug in the ethernet cable

Bluetooth headset: Turn both devices on, press sync on both devices, put them next to each other and hope they're actually talking to each other. Try to interpret the blinking lights and beeps.

Wired headset: plug it in

My general experience with wireless devices is that they're slow, unreliable, and complicated. Also, they usually still have to be plugged in to power, so you've only achieved going from two cords to one.

6. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

The big problem I have always had with wireless is encryption. Wifi can be broken into so easily I try to avoid ever transmitting important data over it.

7. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Oi haters!

I, for one, will welcome this technology.

I've a number or USB devices with proprietary connecting ends, e.g My Blackberry, iPhone, their accompanying Bluetooth headphones etc. While I'm organised, and always know where their respective cables are, It'd be much quicker to just be able to sync/connect these devices by just placing them atop my desktop computer, and let the magic happen.

While I understand the point re: powering currently unpowered devices, i.e. USB storage, this is the only device I can forsee with the power problem. Most larger USB peripherals, are either self or wall powered.

This will also end my nightmare that is... The automatic charge.
    This current 'feature' that would seek to charge my device batteries whenever it's hooked up to my PC, with no way to disable it.

I'd like to cycle my batteries myself please.

Zero, I can assure you the range & wall penetration on this technology will be small enough that should it be compromised, a wired equivalent would also find itself equally in harms way.

TSB

8. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Also,

+1

9. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

I also look forward to seeing how this turns out. If they get it right, it will be well worth adopting. Bluetooth is great, but the profiles mean that most companies skip over anything that they can do with the USB cable (looking at you, Apple). If communicating over WUSB is no different than wired (as far as device OS to controller is concerned) then we won't see any of the same issues.

The cable issue TheStockBroker mentioned is a good one. I currently have about 5 USB cables sitting next to the computer, each with a different connector for a different device. And I hate having to unplug the USB cable from the AC adapter in my bedroom just to sync the phone with the PC

And as far as the syncing issue goes, why couldn't it just be like XBox 360 or Wii controllers? Set the host to scan for devices in range (either by a software or physical button) and do the same on the device. Finish.

10. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Something in the region of 1mbits or so, it's VERY slow :)

EDIT: wikipedia to the rescue

1/3/24 mbits for class 1/2/3 devices

Turns out my relatively new bluetooth dongle is a class2 3mbit one, i don't think class 3 is widespread.

so class 1+2 are much slower than USB1 and class 3 not much faster than USB1

Last edited: 7 Sep 2010
  11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

huh wow I do wish this was a standard in all USB devices I know I run out of USB plugs and dont want to uses Hubs, and if it can handle stream of 1080p content then this would be a fantastic alternative and like others said a nice competitor to bluetooth.

Tags: Add Tags