1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals New Gaming Headset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StephenK, 7 Sep 2010.

1. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Hi all,

Well, my beloved Steelseries 5h V2 headset died on me a couple of weeks ago :waah: but since it was within warranty I am getting refunded.

Which leaves me trying to decide if I should buy another set of V2s or something else. I read the recent bit-tech review on gaming headsets and am wondering what you guys out there would recommend. I've thought about the separate headset and mic thing but for this thread lets just talk about combined headsets for gaming.

Since I'm getting about 70 Euro back I'll be looking to spend around that much. I could stretch to the Razer Carcharias or Creative Arena which are only about a tenner more. So really it comes down to:

Another Steelseries 5hV2
    Razer Carcharias
    Roccat Kave
    Creative SB Arena [ although I wish they weren't white :p ]

Thanks for you're help guys, it's very much appreciated :thumb:

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Creative Fatal1ty HS-980, it is a kind of black version of the SB Arena. Exept the fact that they arent USB and less expensive.

3. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

4. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I tend to like 3.5mm audio better than USB. The Razer Carcharias has very good reviews and I see it popping up all over the place as a good headset. The problem is that the headset is pretty expensive for the sound quality that it dishes out. I recently bought a Creative Fatal1ty MK2 gaming headset on sale for $25 (normally costs $100). While I personally love the sound quality that comes from them, there's quite a few drawbacks that would definitely set the bar for my headset low on the audiophile scale (mostly the fact that bass quality is about 2 steps up from treble quality). The fact is that my headset isn't worth the $100 price tag, but for $25 it was a good deal.

The same thing can probably be said for the Razer Carcharias. It's sound quality probably isn't worth the price tag on it. The next headset that I would recommend would be the Creative Sound Blaster Arena. This headset tends to rate higher than the Carcharias, but audiophiles will still say that its sound quality is not the best, and it's likely not worth the price tag.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you're looking for the absolute best in sound quality, you're going to have to get a regular set of headphones then buy a separate clip-on mic, but if you're willing to accept less than the best and you have some money to spend then go for one of the three I mentioned above (preferably when they're on sale).

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=193163
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=193748
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=193747
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=192677

The best setup in terms of value + durability + sound quality IMO is a Sony MDR-V6 + any cheap mic with a stand for your desk/clip for your shirt.

If the Sony is too expensive, I recommend the JVC HA-RX700 + same mic combo.

Gaming headsets usually are a bad value, they can only be used on a PC (these headphones can be used elsewhere as well), they tend to look cheesy, you'll look less nerdy, etc.

Compare the Corsair HS1 with the Sony MDR-V6

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My ears are already sweating looking at that Corsair..

If you REALLY are set against a separate mic+headphone combo, I can't recommend anything for you. :-0

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  6. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Not against the idea at all, just seeing what gaming cans people recommend.

Thanks guys for the advice so far :)

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I've been using the HS1 for the review (coming soon) and have been quite impressed. However, I still swear by the proper headphone and stalk mic setup, and swear by my Sennheiser HD 215s - superb sound and comfort, plus you can't yank the cable as it's connected by a 3.5mm jack at both ends!

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I use the Roccat Kave, which I absolutely love.

It has a detachable microphone, desk-based controls, is REALLY comfortable and has a solid feel of design to it. I believe it's 5.1 Surround aswell.

I've become a huge fan of Roccat since having these, and just recently ordered their keyboard, the Valo. I'll probably end up with the Kone mouse aswell at some point :)

9. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Get the Creavtive SB arena for best value

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

It's not cheap, but I will always say Sennheiser PC-350 :)

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

They're giving you an outright refund? I thought they'd give steel series vouchers...

Personally I'd get a headset with the mic built in and not detachable. A friend had a detachable mic and he always struggled to get it to work properly. Nuked our L4D sessions...That was a decent brand too, Creative Fatality I think...

12. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Well I'm getting the refund through the online store I bought the Steelseries from so I have 70 euro no-fuss credit with the store and they sell pretty much everything. I can apparently request the money back to my credit card if I can't find the headset I want in the store.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  13. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I use the Mk1 Creative Fatal1ty cans. Love them lots, though I wish I went for headphone jack version over the USB though, all it creates is problems.

@sotu1 The detachable mic on mine works fine, not had a single problem with it...other than forgetting to put it back in :D

14. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Slight hi-jack, my medusas just died. I'm gonna get some Sennheiser cans, probably the HD555, but can anyone recommend me a good clip-on mic?

15. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

16. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

you should go and try some out - it's down to personal preference in many cases...

Make sure they are comfy though!

18. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

GO WITH THE CREATIVE IT'S THE BEST VALUE!!!!

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The Creative Arena is $80, how is that a good value.

Also, @the guy who is buying the HD555s, those headphones are open, so you might bother people around you while gaming. Great headphones though :thumb:

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away