1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google Instant goes live

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 9 Sep 2010.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

think google search is, at least in some ways, a victim of its own success.

Anybody even remotely considering SEO will start with optimising for google and maybe think about other search engines later - if they can be bothered. This "gaming" of the system effectively decreases the quality of the search results and makes google suckier for us all

2. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

Surely SEO companies will just refine their techniques to game the auto-suggest as well. I fail to see how this will kill the SEO industry.

3. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

I find it useful if you're not entirely sure what you're searching for, just keep an eye on what's coming up to see if you're getting the results you want. I suppose its a good example of just how far the internet has come if nothing else.

4. Canon

Canon Reformed

I thought Google had done coffee for a second then, shame really.

5. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I quite like it. if your not quite sure what your searching for, type a bit of it in and then scroll through the auto completes to see which throws up the best results.

on the downside, i think i visited google.co.uk when they did the packman thing... then the next time was for the bouncy balls... actually, including just now that makes it twice in a week!

yeh... when it comes to the address bar, it will be handy, although i can't quite see how they're going to implement it.

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

...And the search for p0rn was never this fast!!... Kudos Google...

7. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

found it by mistake earlier :)

8. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

Anyone else want this to be available for image search as well? :D
    Would be cool, unless you have a limited connection...

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

IMO, it's gimmicky. I'm still sticking to the SSL version of Google.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i like it ,

its a little hard to get used to at first as i habitually press enter after a search but i could see the benefits immediately

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

It's also just turned into black-hat SEO dreamland. :/

I understand what they're trying to do, though. And even though it doesn't work in low bandwidtch scenarios (like the majority of the country), it seems to work well on lrger lines.

12. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Knowing what SEO is before making an ill-formed post would have been good :duh:

You are on about black hat tactics. That's nothing to do with SEO.

For what it's worth, this is Matt Cutts' views on Google Instant and SEO:

SEO simply means making your website accessible to search engines.

The people "gaming the system" aren't SEOs. They are spammers, black hatters, and in some cases fraudsters.

SEO /= spam.

If SEO was spam, Google wouldn't happily promote SEO and give loads of free SEO tips out:

http://static.googleusercontent.com.../search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35291
    etc

:thumb:

But yeah, Google Instant seems an interesting change. I think it's bad from a usability perspective (will 'typical' users who type slowly appreciate the page shifting and transforming all the time?), although I'd imagine Google would tweak things within hours if they noticed people started using other SEs. It's a very interesting idea, one that I love.

Plus good websites with good content needn't worry.

You're right that it will - thankfully - harm the black hatters though :)

Nah don't worry, the people 'gaming the system' are most definitely worried about these changes :) Google have been cracking down on the black hatters since around May of this year (Google 'Mayday update'), and it is thankfully having an effect.

Well done Google :clap:

Last edited: 10 Sep 2010
  13. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Not available in Canada yet. Don't really know. Will be interesting to see how advertisers respond... more ad impressions, sure, but it might drive costs of individual impressions way, way lower as people are exposed to far many more ads. I suppose there's also the potential of ads of a competitor flashing up right after your own ad, and I'm sure some businesses won't be happy about that...

Tags: Add Tags