1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Computer doesn't want to start up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by nickolay, 10 Sep 2010.

1. nickolay

nickolay What's a Dremel?

hey all :p

basically i got all my items to make my first computer.

CPU: Intel Core i5 760
    CPU Cooler: Titan Fenrir
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
    RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) 1600Mhz DDR3 CL8
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX460 1GB OC
    PSU: Corsair HX650W
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-5240S-0B
    Chassis: Xigmatek Utgard
    Monitor: Dell 2209WA

and i whent to my friend for him to help me to build it as i'm newb in it.
    when he was installing everything was fine, we had a problem with the cpu fan titan fenrir, it didnt came with the 1156 4 ping bracket that supports it from the bottom of the mobo. so we installed the basic intel fan.
    i think he didnt connect all the wiring properly because when i start the computer its really really quite, and when i connect my new monitor even the old one it doesnt show anything at all :wallbash:
    any ideas what might be wrong? :eyebrow:

thanks

2. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Open it up and check to see that things are spinning up if the cpu fan doesn't spin up/isn't plugged into the cpu header it may stop the pc booting to protect itself. I don't think gigabyte boards have a built in speaker, if you can connect one to the header it may have some beeps you can't hear currently.
    The other basic thing is to check all the connections and check everything is seated in properly.
    Also try running with the minimum, just 1 stick of memory 1 hdd, 1 dvd drive and the graphics.

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Does the GPU have its power cables plugged in?

Do you hear any beeps?

What cable are you connecting the GPU to the monitor with?

4. nickolay

everything looks spinning spu and gpu fans. about checking if all the connections are connected properly is i dont have a clue to be honest hehe as he done all the work, and now his busy to check so i'm posting here to see if you guys can help me out.

i will check tomorrow if the power cable is plugged in (i would of thought it is if the fans are spinning) and no i dont hear anything beeping. i used vgi the blue connector on my old monitor and tried the new white connector with the new monitor dvi-d i think its called.

as you can see i'm not computer litterateur so any help would be nice.

oh yes i only have 1 gpu 1 hdd but i will try tomorrow to run with 1 ram as we put them 1 closer to the cpu and the other one to the same colour of the first slot.

thanks for the quick reply's.

5. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

have you installed an OS? there will still appear things on the screen though. maybe no with that board.

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Just to make sure, the fans on the gpu spin up as well? I ask because it will have its own power needs.
    Usually the dvi connector will look slightly better than the vga on most monitors.
    One thing with the memory you said it was in the slot nearest the cpu and the 2nd stick was in the other slot the same colour?
    It is usual on most motherboards and on my gigabyte one, though a different model, that the sticks will go in the 2nd slot and 4th, counting away from the processor socket. If they are in the other two it may prevent it booting.

7. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

Did you plug in BOTH the power cables to the motherboard?

8. jdageek

jdageek What's a Dremel?

This, I made this mistake with my new build as I was used to just having 2 slots in the past.

9. nickolay

i will check tomorrow about the ram. baraggio what did u ment about the both power cables being plugged in to the motherboard?
    and no i dont have oc installed as its brand new.

10. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

The motherboard requires a large connector of 24 pins(will be near the egde parallel to the ram) and a 2nd smaller connector of 4/8 pins near the cpu socket and the rear connectors(this could easily be made difficult to see by the fenrir).
    The lack of an os should not cause a blank screen you should still get a big picture for the bios load screen, and then some white writing.

11. nickolay

ty guys, the problem was i put my ram in the wrong slots :p silly me hehe