1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics ASUS EEEpc 901 NAS

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Headspark, 5 Sep 2010.

1. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Hi all,

I have an 'old' 901 at home, as im upgrading to a macbook pro -booo hisss
    I wanted NAS at home to store all my music, videos etc to save me having to boot up my desktop and leave it running all the time.

I have done some fishing around on google and seen it has been done before, but i wanted to take it a step further.

Im just testing the concept at the moment, so have bought:
    - 2 Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
    - Lycom ST-132RM HardWare RAID SATA II 3Gbps DuoDrives

The latter is a hardware raid controler for 2 HDD's and will allow me to connect the raid array to any pc using USB or eSATA.

The articles i have seen online have all used multiple USB storage devices and used software to control the array. I cant see this being helped by the EEEpc's lack of processing power and the data transfer limits of the USB bus

Im hoping my solution will be more elegant, faster and has the potential to work out cheaper and be used on any PC with a USB port.

My intention at the moment is to use RAID 1 and keep my data nice and safe!!

The parts are all on order and I have already fitted 2gb memory to my EEEpc.

2. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Things todo:

- Work out how much power the 2 HDD's and a RAID controller are going to draw
    - Find out how much power i can get from a USB 2.0 socket

- Work out a neat low energy cost way of powering the device...

... I hope i am able to do it all from the eeepc, so i can use its battery to keep it all running if the power drops out. If not i have an onld netgear 2 HDD NAS i can pull apart and steal its powersupply from (its only useless becasue it wont work on anything other than Windows XP as far as i can find out!)

Last edited: 5 Sep 2010
  3. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Here is one less thing for you to work out.

USB 2.0 provides 500mA, USB 3.0 provides 900mA. You can probably make that a little higher, but that is all you are going to get from a motherboard.

4. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Is that 500mA per port? I would like to know how the sata/cdrom drives work that are powered via USB work and also how they get 12v. Im having issues with powering the devices from USB :(
    Had the raid array running using an old ATX power supply no issues, its pretty nippy too!