1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Brand new PSU 'whining' when computer is off

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Firann, 14 Sep 2010.

1. Firann

Firann What's a Dremel?

Greetings everyone!

Not the best post to start my posting activity but what can you do :)

Yesterday I got my new components from Scan to build a PC. The components where as follows:
    -Corsair IV Formaula
    -XFX 850 BE PSU
    -1055T

I also have G.Skill Eco and an 8800GT connected.

After I connected everything up, I can hear a very low volume high pitch whine from the PSU when it is connected to the motherboard and the wall socket but the computer is off.

Whenever i press CLR Cmos at the back of the board and keep pressing itthe whining goes away (I pressume the motherboard 'switches off' completely as if not connected to PSU).

My question is does this mean i have a faulty PSU? I did read some posts on other documents about this being normal, but will it cause problems in the long run? Is it a valid reason to get an RMA?

Thanks!

2. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Well I hope this is nothing to worry about, I've got the 750w version and it does make a little whining sound when the computer is off but still with mains power. Mine seems to be working fine so far and I can't hear any whining sound when the pc is actually on.
    If it's a fault you can certainly RMA it, if its annoying you, you may be able to as its not performing as expected(not sure about this).

3. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Sounds like coil resonance (which is fine).

Personally I wouldn't have it in my machine, and would RMA.

So long as your quick (within 7 days) you can return it because you don't want it.

Otherwise you can return it as not conforming to contract.

4. Firann

Firann What's a Dremel?

Favst89 thats exactly how mine is acting!
    I did open a support ticket with XFX and they did reply just 2-3 mins ago and said that some noise is to be expected.
    TBH if its perfectly fine I don't mind not RMAing but since XFX is saying its fine whats the chances that scan will replace it ? :/

5. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Well if you've received it recently, you are entitled to return it within seven days, or notify them within seven days that you will be returning it you are allowed to do so as it is an internet purchase whether or not there is a fault. Though you will get a refund not a replacement if you send it as unwanted rather than faulty and will have to buy another.
    Mine is about 2 months old now so that's out of question for me but I'm glad to know they don't think its an issue and I'm not bothered by it as I switch it off at the wall whenever its shutdown as thats only overnight or when I go out.

6. Firann

Firann What's a Dremel?

I just got it yesterday hehe:) I'll contact Scan see what they can do cause the sound is really high pitch and irritating :p

[EDIT] I just spoke to scan and they said that i would have to send it in and test it in order for a refund change, which sounds like too much of a trouble. I started up the PC though and noticed that the whining stops when the computer is on. Its just there when it is turned off... So i guess if XFX says its fine I can live with it since the PC will almost always be on anyway :p

Last edited: 14 Sep 2010
  7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Is the noise still there is you just sleep the computer instead of shutting it down? If it goes away you could do that instead of a full shutdown ;)

8. Firann

Firann What's a Dremel?

Unfortunatly I cant test this. I bought PSU, Motherboard, CPU, RAM and monitor... My sister is brining me my keyboard and dvd player from back home (thursday i'll have them) so the only testing it did was hook it up to the screen and see if everything powers up ok.

I'll defenetly give it a shot but its a AMD 1055T so even shut down/boot up won't take that long (1 min tops? :p)

9. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

You can return any item bought over the phone or internet within 7 days for a full refund. 3 months if they haven't put 7 days in there t&c's.

The refund is the whole item cost and shipping. The return postage depends again on their T&C's.