1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rogan, 13 Sep 2010.

1. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Has anyone else been playing this wierd JRPG sims hybrid?

I don't know what happened to me. One day I woke up and caught weeaboo or something, and now I can't help getting excited over Kawaii and beating my **** over anime. Or something. I'm not sure of anything anymore.

Capitalism, ho!

This NWS image sums it all up pretty well.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5641/ohshititsrecettear2.jpg

What's worse is I really suck at it. I can't even make payment on week 3. It's disturbingly like real life. :sigh:

[​IMG]

OMG where are the guns, why am I playing this? =^_^=

ARRGH!

[​IMG]

cutcutcut

Non-steam demo here: http://www.carpefulgur.com/recettear/downloads.htm

Steam demo is on steam. You can find it yourself. Gosh.

But don't, just don't do it. You must not play lest you become a basement dwelling otaku!

Last edited: 13 Sep 2010
  2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

My only question, am I crazy for thinking that "Recette" sounds oddly like "receipt" and don't think it's a coincidence?

Don't worry Rogan, there's still hope. Just make sure that if you ever find yourself listening to Caramelldansen on repeat you stop IMMEDIATELY and watch at least five hours of Walker, Texas Ranger before going near anything Japanese again.

3. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Capitalism, ho!

4. bamboosensei

bamboosensei What's a Dremel?

tc how is this game? i've been meaning to get it but not sure if it'll be my cup of tea

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

bought it lastnight

oh god its like heroin, Capitalism, ho!

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

From what I've had to see when a friend was playing the game it's way overpriced. There is no widescreen support, the max resolution is 1280x1024. The battle system is, well, like some medicore SNES game at best and really hard. Hard in an unfair kind of way. All the sprites are in some lowish resolution so they look really pixelated. There is not much detail in the other graphics as well. The shop customization is poorly done and looks ridiculous etc.

Some people will say "that's the way japanese games are supposed to look" but they are wrong. You can have an anime style game that will support modern hardware, have decent textures and main characters that are actually modelled. In short a game that has everything that actually requires the devs to work, not just to make up a story.

The game would be okay if it would have been released on the DS. But it's no PC game. Kind of similar to the Touhou games: These games would be great if they'd just move on a little. It's a shame, really.

7. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Dungeon crawling difficulty was a bug. It was fixed last night.

Price is a bit expensive but welcome to Steam. Not even the devs want it to be that price.

The other stuff just makes me think you're missing the point. This game is frigging awesome.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2010
  8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

This is what happened to my day;

Got up at 7:30am, saw kids out and read my rss feeds which lead me to a review of this game, instantly went on steam and bought it.
    Next thing I know it's 6:30pm my girl is back in the house and wondering why I'm not dressed.

Yeah I think it's safe to say I like this game.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

He's pretty much on the point entirely, really. With the exception of wanting modelled characters, all the flaws he points out could be fixed while still keeping the point of the game.

Starting at the most basic level: a PC game being sold for profit which won't even let you change the resolution? A PC game with no widescreen support on top of that? That has nothing to do with the "point", it's expecting basic features from a pretty spendy game. A little less basic: High res sprites are not difficult and look beautiful and it's not a strict feature of the JRPG genre to have low res sprites. It's not a strict feature of the JRPG genre to have simplistic dojin-esque combat, either. For a more detailed background, that's one which could be argued as missing the point as well, but I'd like to cite BlazBlue for a game which takes a similar theme and integrates modern hardware. You can keep the spirit of a sprite based JRPG and add modern elements.

Sorry for the mini rant, but "missing the point" seems to be an euphemism for "LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, TOO BUSY LISTENING TO THE SOUND OF A PERFECT GAME". It gets thrown around all too often with these indie games. Fun gameplay which has to be played to be understood + outstanding flaws = fanboyism amongst the players and frequent point missing accusations. Remember, part of truly loving a game is understanding its limitations as well. I forgot that for awhile with Minecraft and threw around many a "ur missing the point!11!!" until realizing that yes, perhaps my beloved indie game has flaws.

10. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Dammnit, Rogan! This game had better be as terrible as I think it is (read: so bad that it's ****ing awesome) otherwise you've just cheated me out of £12.

11. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

You're going to put maybe, what, 20 hours into the game at most. Does it really bunch your panties up that badly that you can't change the resolution for now?

12. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Yes. My screen does complain if the resolution is any lower than 1600x1200, unless it's 1280x720. After a minute it goes black completely. Welcome to the Samsung Way of guaranteeing that the picture is always perfectly sharp. But that's not the point.

The point is that for 15€ I can expect some basic use of recent hardware. The point is that the game could be good. It's a shame that it is not only flawed but ruined by the fact the devs decided graphics aren't important (to get their game sold). If no one complains about these things jrpgs will fall behind more and more.

Bamboosensei asked if the game is any good. I gave an answer that is right from my perspective: No. Could and Would don't count.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I keep dieing to the boss on the 2nd dungeon level.

Meant I couldn't make my 2nd payment. :sigh:

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you mean the giant mouse?

if so attack the red mushrooms,, he'll eat a purple one and fall over drunk, stab wildly.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Nah, just the blobby thing, I kept messing things up and dying.

16. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

Why does it need to use recent hardware? It's not meant to be a complex graphicfest that would make Crysis cry in a puddle of it's own wee.
    It's meant to be accessible to people.
    My laptop isn't so old, but struggles with just about anything. So it's nice to see a game you'll get a decent lifespan from and for not an offensive price. Ok it could stand to be a fair bit cheaper, but then it IS a fair bit cheaper than any hardware intensive thing out there.

If you want something to shock and awe you with graphics etc just get FFXIII or the like.

Although more resolution options probably would be a good idea.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

You have to understand where Aterius is coming from. Being graphically simplistic to promote accessibility is completely lost when it's so simplistic that his monitor can't display it properly. I'd be properly pissed if I was in his boat, forced into 1280*1024 windowed mode only on a 15 euro game is just ridiculous. It's my own personal reason for not owning the game, despite it being loads of fun to try on friends' computers.

And if anyone says it's his monitor's fault, then feel free to go buy yourself a 360 and never return to PC gaming.

18. horgboy

horgboy haisup

Played the demo, scared to purchase it hahaha!

The devs who brought it across (really nice blokes from reading their forums) are just translators who were barely able to touch the source code; the game originally from Japan was made by 3 dudes in an apartment, much like the carpe fulgur dudes who are 2 guys also in an apartment :)

Bring on more awesome localisations imo

Capitalism, ho!

19. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Tried to play the demo but it crashes about 5 seconds after hitting "Play" from the main menu :(.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Boy this game is unforgiving - the relief on payment day having sucessfully made the payment is pretty sweet. I may be comparing it to most of the other Japanese games I've played which are almost impossible to lose in (at least Recette doesn't die of salmonella if you make a particular seemingly unrelated descision).