1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What is it with road users? (UK mainly)

Discussion in 'General' started by Akkatha, 18 Sep 2010.

1. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

High horse? Sorry if i seem a little angry at this, but you have *no* idea how many times a day i get to see people "being above average" behind the wheel and damn near killing me/themselves/a bus load of people/other road users.

You ARE right however. Memorizing the highway code DOESN'T make you a good driver. Taking what it says and putting it into practice makes you a good driver.

Having a piece of paper that says you are a professional driver DOESN'T make you a good driver. Keeping to the same standard that got you that piece of paper each and every day makes you a good driver.

And YES. Getting up to 36 mph in a 30 mph area DOES make you a bad driver.

Because tomorrow you'll think, "hey it was only 37, 38, 39, OH MY GOD WHERE DID THAT CHILD COME FROM"

Think about that next time you feel like risking someone's life.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Okay I just took a 3 hours drive around Montreal and in the process I analyzed how I drive...

Well excuse me but I am a damn good driver. I don't care about anyone's theories, none of those are proven. I am just good.

3. remixme

remixme Own a Dremel, but not used it yet!

The earlier talk of excessive speed cracks me up....
    I drive on the M5 every weekday during rush hour.... in the fast lane I'll be lucky if I can exceed 70mph, despite the traffic being relatively light.

Two reasons, and I think that no group of drivers is innocent:

1. Lorry drivers who move into the middle lane to pass traffic at (seemingly) 2mph.
    2. Car drivers who jump out into the fast lane at short notice to overtake the lorry drivers mentioned above, causing everybody to break excessively.

Result:
    On a good day, all lanes doing not much more than 60mph.
    On a bad day, somebody dies in an accident.

I think the Germans have this right with an enforced ban on 'elephant' racing during rush hour.
    We might actually be following....
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/a...rry_overtaking_ban_halts_elephant_racing.html

4. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

/me raises hand.

Several times.

Some "professional drivers" deserve to be shot. No trial. just shot.

(as a side note, i'm currently studying for my NVQ stage 4 in PSV Driving instructor. Which includes driver evaluation. so far I've seen too many case studies where yes, the driver was at fault.

however I've seen just as many cases where the other party only *thought* the driver was at fault.

but to answer your question, does being reversed into by the same driver twice in three weeks count? Or being T-boned by a truck driver emerging from a side street count?

Or being run off of the road by a taxi driver? (and one who tried the "Sorry i didn't see you" argument, and now no longer has a driving license?)

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Yeah okay. You sir, are full of credibility.

You talk down to us and then say stupid crap like that.

Meh

talladega likes this.
  6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

91 posts in 7 years..... maybe you should keep your post count at 91.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

What really amazes me is how many people think they are great drivers.

We all make stupid mistakes no matter how good we are, I've been driving for 39 years legally and a few before not so I owned my first car at 15.

I have a full UK license for a motor bike and a car and HGV class 1

I've had I think 3 accidents one being my fault which is not to bad for all those years.

And I definitely dont think I'm infalible.

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Neither do I. I nearly killed myself and TheBlackSwordsman 2 years and a half ago because of a badly calculated move. I had overestimated my car's power and suddenly a basic take over got very dangerous. I did learn a lot from this however, just like I learned from every other mistake I ever did. This is why I genuinely think I have become good driver.

9. Teelzebub

There is no substute for experience and hopefully we lean not to make the same mistake's again.

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I've done something similar.

And yes experience is a big thing in becoming a good driver. When I was in college I drove around 2,000km a month. Lots of experience gained through that. :thumb:

11. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Had a similar experience about 8 years ago on a 2 lane highway. I was in a hurry trying to get to some place, went to pass the semi in front of me and realized there were 2 semis in front of me. Instead of dropping back, I gunned it and had a close encounter with a car coming the opposite direction.

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'm a terrible driver. Mostly because I'm scared of driving to be honest. As such, I'm not planning on owning a car (it's not in my 5-year plan anyway).

The way I see it, there are two type of people; those who drive, and those who are driven.

I do happen to enjoy cycling, though. Luckily!

Malvolio likes this.
  13. Teelzebub

Around 10 years ago I was driving to London on the M4 in atrocious weather the rain was lashing down I couldn't see more than a few yards in front of me I then realized I was doing 140mph :eeek:

So I slowly reduced my speed and thanked my lucky stars that I was still alive.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2010
  14. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Out of curiousity, are you even old enough to own a license? Or are you just so damned cocky in all walks of life? :sigh:

15. wst

wst Minimodder

What the feck were you driving? I'd notice if my speed was creeping up to 140 (partly because my car only does 106 in theory but you know...). In the rain 'speshully, because unless your steering is one of those crappy primitive power steerings from when it was just getting common, you'd feel the wheel go fuzzy and vague.

16. Pieface

Pieface Modder

To be honest. Talladega is probably one of the worst drivers on here, just due to the fact he thinks he's a god behind the wheel. I admit I'm not a perfect driver, but I follow the limits and have a good lane discipline. I join Motorways at the correct speed etc.

17. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Is it alright If I claim that I'm the best icy roads driver here? :D

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Nope that automatically makes you the worst driver here along with me. :wallbash:

19. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Dang, in that case I had better move somewhere father south... :sigh:

20. wst

wst Minimodder

Not really, because he has a basis for his claim. Unless Mika Hakkinen posts something here, the guy who started driving on ice at the age of 13 is probably going to be the best person at ice roads. The UK gets ice once or twice a year. It sure as hell isn't a UKian (Colin McRae, Richard Burns, goddammit, why'd you both have to die? :().

Now being a cocky **** who types like a 13 year old 'I could pwn you on a racetrack!!!11oneeleven!' does not inspire confidence in driving skill or habits and will knock you right down to the bottom of the pile of crap drivers, behind those inbred geezers who only turn left, and those inbred geezers from Norfolk who also only turn left.

Malvolio likes this.