1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Very slow windows logon with Crucial M225

Discussion in 'Software' started by NoPrisoners, 19 Sep 2010.

1. NoPrisoners

NoPrisoners I love my dremel

Slightly odd title, but it is taking up to 2mins to get from the Windows 7 logon screen to the desktop. The Windows start up is very quick, but the logon to desktop time is longer than when I had a Samsung F3 HDD. I am stumped as to why it is taking so long. Also dropping my overclock to 3.8 GHz or even setting everything back to stock seems to make no difference.

My specs are as listed.

Thanks

P.S. Also Windows seems to keep wanting to run the CHKDSK utility at startup, not everytime but quite regularly. It never finds anything wrong though?

2. rollo

rollo Modder

try creating a fresh user account and see if the problem persists first and foremost

3. NoPrisoners

Have created a new user account and the same problems appear. Think I'm going to try and migrate over to a HDD that I have and see if has any effect.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Have you disabled start-up items?

Or try setting a static ip address.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Have you enabled it to start on all 4 cores or 8 threads as it appears with i7 CPU's this dramatically speeds up boot times.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

How does one check for this? First I've heard of this affecting boot times.

[edit]

msconfig/boot/advanced

early morning retardation... sorry.

[edit] Made no discernible difference here.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2010
  7. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Check the Event Viewer for any errors, particularly with respect to your filesystem (if your system hangs for any reason and you have to reset/power-cycle it, that would normally result in "dirty filesystem" warnings but nothing else should). They may give some idea as to the cause of any problems.

If the only change you've made has been the SSD (i.e. no new software installs or other configuration changes) then there could be an issue with it or the drivers for the controller it is connected to. Use a disk benchmarking utility like CrystalDiskMark to check performance (though note this thread) - if you're seeing significantly worse then check you have the correct drivers for the SATA interface it is connected to (though changing the drivers or setup, IDE or AHCI, of the boot drive may require a Windows reinstall).

8. NoPrisoners

Have enabled this option and will see if it has an effect.

I don't appear to have any dirty filesystem errors. I have had the SSD for quite a while now and it didn't always do this. The system is set up as AHCI, have changed over to a 256GB C300 as my M225 was only 128GB needed some more space. HD Tach gives me an average read speed of 251 MB/s.

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It's a windows thing wanting to run CHKDSK it happens when it thinks a disc is new or just been fitted, the best thing to do is just let it run, then it'll leave you alone. Also it's worth downloading some ting like CCleaner to have a good clean up and defragler to have a defrag, it's way better than the windows version that comes with the OS.

10. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

In that case, the delay is very likely due to something else - can you remember when it started and what configuration changes (program installs and/or updates) you had done just before?

I encountered a (somewhat) similar problem on my XP system (the Welcome screen would hang around for 20 seconds) which seemed to occur after I disabled the System Event Notification Service - re-enabling it made no difference though, and I had to restore a backup taken previously to fix the problem.

11. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

May I ask what firmware the drive is running?
    Im thinking that perhpas TRIM is not working for you and the drive has become very fragmented leading to poor performance.

You could try running Crucials Garbage Collection tool which may help to bring the drive back up to its original performance levels.

With TRIM there are a few factors to consider to enable support...
    1) Firmware 1819 or above.
    2) Win 7.
    3) Not run in a raid configuration.
    4) Do not install any 3rd party AHCI/controller drivers such as Intel or Nvidia as these do not currently support TRIM, you must use the drivers supplied by Microsoft.