1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Making of Good Old Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

It's a darn shame that such a unique service is gone, though I would embrace them with open arms if they return, even with DRM.

EDIT: Just read the main GoG news article, doesn't seem like they're gone at all. I feel manipulated :p

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  3. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Total Annihilation : that is all!

4. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

I never known this existed, if i did i would have baught that store empty i mostly play old games because new ones are just not affordable.

DRM grr grrr the killer of fun

5. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

i love GoG, and hope they are only updating the service rather than closing it down.

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Now where can I buy Duke Nukem 3D? to work on Win7? :(

7. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

+ what ever the currency conversion charge by the bank is. (£1.50 @ the time of my last GOG purchase)

The currency conversion charge my not be GOG's fault but it needs to be taken in to account when paying!

8. Skelebob124156

Skelebob124156 What's a Dremel?

This better be a bloody joke, in fact it probably is considering they added a game only last week, if it is a joke GOG this seriously isn't funny. If it's not a joke, how could they have shut down their business was doing really well in fact I bought 4 games of there only 2 weeks ago.
    FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

9. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Heck yes, the GOG.com release of Total Annihilation is the best one - ever, actually, because it's all one installer, and it actually has a properly working soundtrack despite having no audio CD included, a problem that all other versions of the game had and greatly suffered for.

Just wait for GOG.com to come back - it sounds like this closure is a marketing ploy.

Beyond that, if you have original CDs, floppy disks, etc., then you can either use DOSBox or (much preferred) get the EDuke32 mod along with numerous high-res textures, 3D models, remastered sound, and play the game in glorious 1080p with full 3D, coloured lighting and high-quality audio.

At least they don't charge you extra for not living in North America, unlike some digital distribution platforms. They actually go to great pains to stop publishers from ripping their players off. The currency conversion charge sucks, but that's the bank, not GOG.com.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  10. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Longest journey eh? i probably would have bought that if I had known the site existed. I guess once it comes back then I can grab it.

11. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

True, I don't blame GOG for it but its still important to me as it means some games in the end are not as cheap as they could be and come very close if not slightly exceed the £4.99 that Sold Out Software charge ( http://www.sold-out.co.uk/ ) for some titles.

12. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

How the hell did I miss that :/

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Prefer it if they just stuck the games on steam - then I have a nice easy purchase and update mechanism. I don't really care that steam has drm, just sell me the game for a few quid and make sure you keep it up-to-date so it installs and works properly for windows ??? and I'll be happy.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Seriously, i didn't know gog had TA!

Oh yeah because abandonware gets updated all the time, right?

15. GameStreamer

GameStreamer Buy Now, Play Now

GOG offered a great service, and we hope they're back soon. In the meantime, GameStreamer has DRM-free games, too!

16. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I thought fairly obviously by "they" you would know I was talking about gog being as they are who this article is about! Who did you think the "they" was referring too?

17. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Bloody shame, hope they re-emerge.

18. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

If you get the right bank account, you won't get charged. Don't really see where the issue is here, it's your choice who you bank with.

19. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

bought a few games from them in the past, as steam is a constant rip off (blood bowl 16 quid!) real shame to see them go, prolly the big DRM players ran them out of business...

20. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I purchased Duke 3D last week and had no such charge. Your bank is screwing you.

Good article (although odd timing) I hope they will make a comeback soon.

Tags: Add Tags