1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs My First LAN Party

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Sep 2010.

1. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

I remember my 1st LAN party, at my parents computer college, the games of choice were Doom 3D and Duke Nukem (I know I have just given away my age) however haven't been to one since, would love to go to a small gatering someday.

2. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

12-15 November

I am attending and will be my 4th I-series event

They are great fun would definitely recommend.
    And its in Newbury so not far from London :)

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

What the picture doesn't convey is the Smell (capital justified) at such events. After a few seconds your nose just shuts down in protest.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

^^ LOL
    Still never been to a LAN party :blush:, I'd have to make a compact pc to ever go to one, wouldn't fancy dragging my air cube around :D, a future project I think a mini pc :dremel: but a power house one :D.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2010
  5. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

I love i series events, been to a few at stonleigh and newbury. The atmosphere is brilliant, and the shows are good. Lots of gaming and sociaising too. Plus i won a quad core extreeme in the raffle once :D

I also run my own lan party, with a friend, called AtomLAN. started a few years ago as a bunch of mates wanting to game, and now we run anywhere between 12-30 people on a gigabit LAN. totally different atmosphere from the i series, so much so i think small LAN's are the way forward.

The other nice thing about small LAN's is the price. We charge £30 for fri-mon with food (3 breakfasts, 2 lunch's and free beer). :thumb:

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Never done a LAN bigger than six people, sadly. But still absolute fun!

Most recent one cramming everyone into a tiny apartment and using my HAF 922 as my chair. I was blocking some of the top fan, but it actually worked quite well! It's always fun seeing the ghetto inventions made at LAN parties.

All I have to say for food: Jack in the Box's "Big Cheeseburger". $1 each, quite filling and everyone likes a basic cheeseburger. Best memory is the drive through conversation:
    "Welcome to Jack in Box, may I take your order?"
    "Yeah, I'd like a big cheeseburger"
    "Anything else?"
    "Nineteen more"

The moment of silence on the other end was priceless.

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

If only games developers would continue to support LAN play & proper multiplayer support on dedicated servers...

8. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

Never been to a LAN party before as we allways had internet on our computer parties. But we still called them LAN parties anyways :p

9. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

There is no point in getting excited about lans any more. Most new software has lan disabled or you have to be online to use it which of course is pointless as then you are limited by the bandwidth of the internet connection, which any self respecting lanner knows is a tiny fraction of the band width of a full duplex gigabyte switch and a bunch of cat6.
    It is extremely Tight of the games manufacturers to remove lan and to insist on internet connectiveity as this reduces the sales of their games almost definitly, which does seem crazy. I have contact with several different groups of Lanners and if the game does require an internet connection they wont even consider buying it.
    Steam represents the start of this type of copy right protection, but as everyone knows steam is not secure and access to thier server with the right .exe is of course possible.
    Look I guess what i am saying is that if a new game will only run using say a router in a local capacity then that game will never reach my LAN hard drive WHICH IS AN OFFLINE COMPUTER WITH NO INTERNET PROTECTION. The industry has yet to realise that removing straight lan (offline) is harming their revenues that much I promise.

10. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I went to Dreamhack 07.

The sheer scale of such events is truly insane. I've never been to an i series, but Dreamhack was HUGE.

Also, going Airsofting when the safety lecture is only available in Swedish and the only person who could speak enough to give it in English didn't know all the words was ... interesting.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Heard one safety brief, heard 'em all :D

12. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

Why is it that for us older gamers LAN party always revolved around 4-8 friends spending more time trying to get the damn network to do it's job or making sure there was enough extension cables then actually playing not helped by significant quantities of alcohol and take away pizza.

Hours of games like heretic and doom, although my favourite was always interstate '76 with the agony of the microsoft force feedback joysticks after you have had it set too high for too long.

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

most large scale LAN partys (should be called WAN Partys :) ) each system gets an Internet IP with 100mb of bandwidth (when its like 1 am or in the morning you get that speed) not an Lan IP so lack of lan support in games is not an problem as it would not work any way (lan play)

14. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

Lack of lan support is a problem if the internet is not uptoo much though

15. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

If we want a new game for a LAN Party, we'll probably have to wait until Valve scome out with another shooter. 90% of LANs seem to be made up of Valve games.

Not that this is a bad thing. :)

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I organized two LAN party's with my clan back in 2002 and 2003. We invited all Dutch TFC/CS clans to come and in the end it about 90 people came in for a long sleepless weekend in a empty office building somewhere near Amsterdam. It was so much fun to do. People could win prices too. Even for case modding. Which I happen to win both times ;)

Fun days!

17. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Wear a face mask.

Don't shoot anyone in the face.

Don't shoot anyone in the nuts. Unless you're really cruel and they're asking for it.

Job's done.

18. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

Im going to one this weekend :) there will be about 10 - 15 of us so a pretty small one but good fun. there will be 40odd hours of bourbon fueled gaming fun and no sleep.

19. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Is their any semi big ones up north? I always wanted to go to one.

Although I'd wanna visit one first before i drag all my gear up their.

20. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

It's been a few years since last went to a LAN but I was still in my thirties playing against teenagers - old age and trickery got more kills than youthful reflexes on CS:S. Apparently a bullet in the back or top of the head offends, particularly when it's silenced and you proceed to mop up a few more before anyone notices :D

We also used to get two thirds of my old RTCW:ET clan in the same room on bank holiday weekends. Communication was great, atmosphere was fantastic and a great time was had by all. I miss that :(

Tags: Add Tags