1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DLC is better than advertising

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

So, paid demos, then?
    BTW, Capcom, Valve was at the head of episodic gaming 4 years ago. Blow it out your 8888!

3. Memnoch-fr

Memnoch-fr What's a Dremel?

Yep Valves does episodes, but they are pretty much full games each time. Not good news as DLC seems to be the thing now, you purchase a game, but only get 70% of it, and have to pay extra to actually get the whole thing. GT5 looks like it will follow the same structure. I don't bother with DLC, even on games that I enjoy as the price is rarely worth the actual game play added.

4. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

5. kempez

kempez modding again!

Some DLC is good. People got annoyed at the price of the MW2 map packs, but they are amazing value if you play the game a lot. I've played MW2 upwards of 20 days play time.

£26 - Game
    DLC 1 & 2 - ~£20

Total: £44

Game play time: ~20 days (480 hours)

Amazing value really. Only other game I've got close is CS:S which in fairness, gets updates and user content for free.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

If people buy these things then every game developer will start doing it. Not good.

DLC that bridges one game to another is good (ME2 -Shadow Broker). But giving us what are essentially demo's or promos, that we have to pay for, is cheeky. But the masses will almost certainly pay for it..in fact they already are. 500,000 people have already bought Dead Rising 2 prequel (apparently).

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've played Ultima Online for longer than that...

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Battlefield 2 = £30

Total Play time = 39 Days (957 Hours)

Less than £1 a day

Ok, I did buy SF and the Euro Forces Booster packs but they then released the complete booster pack for free with the 1.5 patch.

9. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I have no issue with DLC... as long as you get a proper game in the first place. Not a game whereby it leaves more plot holes than the SAW franchise then you pay for the DLC to fill in the blanks... That kind of stuff would just be heresy to gaming and I worry it may cause alot of damage

10. Xir

Xir Modder

...sounds a lot like a Demo to me though ;-)

11. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

This DLC stuff is getting out of hand :(

12. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I seriously don't understand the whine about this?

Don't want it? Don't buy it.

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I won't.

14. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

It's not difficult really. The problem is people DO want the game, and DO buy it, only to find it's been hacked apart and they have to spend more to get what they already paid for. That's what people are worried about. Chances are you already know this and just wanted to be the "don't buy it then" guy.

15. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I'm still waiting for the DLC for KOTOR II - the levels that were removed prior to releasing the game.

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Next best thing.

The internet is your friend.

17. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Someone remind me again how much did deus ex cost when it first came out? That and baldur's gate 2? Or maybe diablo 2? The newer gamers are getting convinced that 20hrs is the new epic and that can't be good....

18. kempez

kempez modding again!

Read my post. I said 20 days.

And then also ask yourself how old I am. Im certainly not what anyone in their right mind would call a new gamer, that's for sure. Got to love how people make uninformed sweeping statements ;)

I don't mind paying fir decent new content if the original game had good content to start with.

I'll agree that if a game is crippled at first in order to bring out DLC later then that's not good.

19. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I playe dthe demo of this prologue and thought it was borring. But I imagine this is the start and not the end. DLC before and after a game release.

Then those who dont buy any DLC or even have internet access will not actually have the full game. Imagine if you bought a DVD and it didnt have the begining or end? It will be like then you stick the TV on in the middle of a film and try work out whats going on because you missed the start.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I've never purchased DLC for a game. Fallout 3, Borderlands etc - loved the original games, but couldn't see the point of purchasing extra content.

Episodic gaming is a far better concept, price games a bit cheaper but maybe only get 40-60% of the normal gameplay length (although in the COD series that would probably equate to about an hours worth of play).

The failure of SiN episodes didn't bother me, as the first episode was so poor but wasn't too highly priced and i did play it through to the end.

Tags: Add Tags