1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Components For A New Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Advent10, 17 Sep 2010.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yes bit-tech members get free post with Scan see link below.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=186923

2. Advent10

Advent10 What's a Dremel?

Right, think I am going to go with your recommendation of the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366RT. I didn't want to spend that much on a cooler but it does come with a fan and some decent cooling gel from what I gather. Although it does sound heavy, is it worth paying the £4 extra for the lighter Noctua NH-U12P CPU Cooler? Either way its nearly £50 on a fan! I hope its easy to fit because its the one part of the build I'm dreading...

The last thing on my list is memory but I haven't got a clue what to go far.

In my price range ordering from scan gives me the options of;

TR3X6G1600C9 - 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.65V
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/plus...0-(1600)-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24-165V

CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 - 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator, DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), CAS 8-8-8-24, DHX, XMP, New connector, 1.65V
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/6GB-...1600)-CAS-8-8-8-24-DHX-XMP-New-connector-165V

Or I could go else where and get these as recommended by MrTeal.

G.SKILL Pi Series (3x2GB) PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Kit
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...Hz+Triple+Channel+Memory+Kit+?productId=41157

I notice a lot of you guys use Dominator, why is this? Is the CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 any good?

What is THE best for a max of £130?

I don't fully understand this 1.65v problem. When people say it SHOULD be ok, it doesn't fill me with much reassurance lol

Last edited: 19 Sep 2010
  3. Teelzebub

I would definitely go with the Thermalright cooler you only spend the money once the other thing I like with these is the fan cages I have two on mine in a push pull config.

And they are really easy to fit.

I've used a lot of these and the weight has never been a issue, I would buy some of this TIM myself although I use the diamond paste but there's not much in it only around 2c difference.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/Arct...Compound-(its-what-arctic-use-on-their-H-S-Fs)

As for the ram the first one you linked would be fine tbh you wont notice any difference in the real world

With the i7 systems it normaly defaults the ram settings wrong and you would have go into the bios and set it up with the correct timings and volts etc.

4. Advent10

Well I'm leaning towards the G.Skill Pi Series 6GB 93x2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz 7-8-7-24 1.5V becuase of its 1.5v rating. Ive read a lot about 1.65v being right on the limit and how this might hinder any overclocking I do?

Is there any better RAM out there that has a lower rating then 1.65v and has good specs for around the same price £120-130?

Although, am I right in thinking this G.Skill Pi series is their high performance range and so should be a good choice?

Annoyingly the fan I was going to order, the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366RT, is out of stock and I need to order today or tomorrow. So looks like I might go for this now;
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Ther...-Intel-1366-1156-775-AMD-includes-1x120mm-fan

Last edited: 22 Sep 2010
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'd get that RAM then run it at 1.65V and overclock it. At 1.5V, it'll run at (IIRC) 1066MHz with those timings.

Cooler looks far enough!

6. Advent10

This might be a stupid question but doesn't it state that at those timings (7-8-7-24 1.5V) it should run at 1600Mhz?

I'm confused

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Definitely not a stupid question!

I found this out with my RAM, which is rated to 7-7-7-24. When I set those values (and 1600MHz) I'd get memory errors everywhere. I later found out in the small print that the RAM was rated to do 7-7-7-24@1066MHz, while 1600MHz was the maximum rated speed of the memory with unknown timings. So, a bit of fiddling and I now have my memory settings.

Bottom line: check the details of the RAM very carefully!

8. Advent10

Thanks for that, I hadn't got a clue about that side of it.

Is this a standard practice amongst all manufacturers then? Would a company like Corsair do such a thing, I'm basically wondering how reputable G.Skill are?

Ive checked the official page and it says that "G.Skill guarantees 3 Dimms triple channel operation would reach announced specification"

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=252

Don't know where else I would look for more small print?

From reading posts on their forum they seem to offer good advice in regards to tweaking settings so I think I might go for it.

9. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

Pete J is using OCZ RAM, which has this problem quite often with their now 'older' sets - don't know about some of their new ones. I don't think you will have any problems with a high quality/premium set from any other top manufacturer (Crucial, Corsair, G.Skill to name just three). Or specifically that Pi set. Just go for it.

I've checked quite a few websites now and I can't find anything that really stands out as being a better buy than that Pi series on Aria.

10. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

I would hope yo could squeeze a SSD into the price at 1.2k. There are a few on special at ebuyer iirc for about 50-60.

11. Advent10

I went for the G.Skill Pi series so thanks for the advice.

The last thing I need to buy is the CPU fan. I wanted the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366RT with fan but its out of stock and cant find it anywhere else.

The Thermalright MUX-120 Black reads as though it wasn't designed for the i7 processors lga1366 from the reviews.

So what do I go far that is going to fit on my motherboard without covering a memory slot and is good for overclocking?

The Noctua NH-U12 is too expensive

The Titan Fenrir is too big.

What about these Corsair fans/ Are they any good and would they fit?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Cors...CPU-Cooler-Intel-LGA-775-1366-1156-AMDAM2-AM3
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Cors...an-CPU-Cooler-Intel-775-1366-1156-AMD-AM2-AM3

If I went for the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme without the fan, what fan would you recommend?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Ther...an-for-Intel-775-and-1366-!!-CPU-(Without-Fan)

With this option would I need to buy anything else?

12. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

13. Advent10

Would the CAFA70 - Corsair Cooling Air Series A70 High-Perf Heatpipe 2 Fan CPU Cooler Intel 775/1366/1156 AMD AM2/AM3 be too big for the Asus P6X58D-E?

Will this cover a memory slot?

14. Teelzebub

Why dont you either wait untill the TRUE is back in stock or get this one its basically the same its the TRUE but the fan fitting is different.

For some reason the link wont work ?? But the scan number is LN26448

Last edited: 24 Sep 2010
  15. Abraxas

Abraxas What's a Dremel?

I've got a question about the G.Skill Pi RAM mentioned above. I downloaded the QVL for the Asus P6X58D-E and that specific G.Skill kit isn't included on the list for some reason. It should still work fine with the Asus board despite not being on the QVL, right?

16. Advent10

Before I start building I'm getting a little worried about static and damaging something.

I'm going to buy a static wristband, but most of my house is carpeted, so I look like having to make it on the kitchen floor which is tiled.

What is the best place to put the motherboard while fitting the heatsink? I'm thinking on top of the anti static bag it came in and the actual box?

Also would you recommend partitioning a section of the hard drive exclusively for the OS? If so how much? Around 30gb?

Oh, seeing as I'm waiting for a graphics card I'm assuming sticking an Nvidia Geforce 8600GS from an old computer will be fine?

Last edited: 26 Sep 2010
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Don't worry about static! A friend taught me a little trick: plug the PSU into a wall socket (don't turn it on though!) and touch the case of the PSU. Voila, you're grounded! Unless you're walking around in socks and dragging your feet everywhere, static won't be an issue. Just assemble everything on a table, it'll make your life easier :D .
    Yup, it'll allow you to watch films and do day to day tasks, maybe even some gaming with older titles.

18. Teelzebub

19. Advent10

Right, Ive started building and have got a couple of questions.

The modular sata leads coming out of the power supply have sata connectors at like 4 different points along the cable. Does it matter which I connect and in what order? Also, would it be better to use two separate sata cables for my DVD drive and my Hard Drive?

When setting a hard drive up with sata, I don't have to use jumpers on the master/slave pins do I? Note I have only one Hard Drive.

When I started putting the little brass spaces in the case I found two were all ready in place. They are different to the rest though, the screw threads are sticking out as opposed to the rest that go inside the spacer? Why is this and should I replace them with the other kind?

20. Kickbutt

Kickbutt Dremel.. Sounds like a fish

as a reference i just bought myself an i7 930 and the same board you selected and the same memory, works sweet! i used the thermaltake frio cooler after reading this months CPC which they highly recommended it, they have a built in fan controller so you can set your fan to almost soundless to Roaring Bohemoth nice and easily. Looks lik e a solid build though mate :)