1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Overloading a bus...

Discussion in 'General' started by Invictus., 24 Sep 2010.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Hi there just wondering about this, just got back in from college with a bus that had at least i'd say 150 people on with a max of around 70. what happend was most of the busses left apart from around 4 that didnt turn up, they left without saying anything so we were stuck at college (some went to other parts of towns we lived) so we all waited around 2 busses came and left picking up a few leaving as i said before around 150 people..

One bus turned up for llandudno but that had been twice now so phoned his company and agreed to take just kimnel bay home to start then they added everyone who was there on as they were all the same way.. So my question really is there anything wrong with cramming that many people on a bus? that was swaying side to side on the motorway (upstairs at least)

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

No idea to be honest but thinking logically i would presume that the insurance will not cover any passengers over the maximum amount as stated by the bus manufacturer (well maybe a few but certainly not more than double).

I really can't say for definite one way or the other but I, for one, would be very dubious about getting on a bus which was so overloaded.

Plus I am absolutely terrified of double decker buses ever since i was in which nearly tipped over on a school trip to Gulliver's Kingdom. Made the local news and everything! lol

Ultimately it does seem very very dodgy to me. Think about it; in the event of a big accident (god forbid) the extra injuries which could be sustained through crushing is too horrible to imagine.

3. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Yeah, thing is everyone got on as it was that or wait for a bus that would likely not arrive... But yeah If it ever happens again ill stick to downstairs, as said upstairs it felt like it was gonna tip and im just glad we dont have our normal driver for it as he overtakes everyone and goes over the speed limit (it seems) despite busses being limited to 56 i think i swear these aint..

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the vehicle can't take loads like that, he could have easier blown a suspension shock at speed from a jolt and sent the whole bus sideways. Jesus an accident like that would hit national news!

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

With an extra 5 tons of people, I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension was bottomed out.

Edit: damn, ninja'ed.

6. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

to start everyone was joking about the turning etc then we hit roundabouts and the A55 which going 70 down with that ammount of people on was quite scary tbh with the ammount of wobble.. Either way i just wanted to see if anyone knew if it was remotely legal but im just glad everyone got home safely.. had some people sitting on the stairs, on the ledge before the front window.. on peoples laps etc. then loads standing

7. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

It isn't legal No,

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

anybody got any pictures of this?

I hate the idea of this, but you could easily sue the coach company for reckless endangerment I believe.

9. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Someone was taking pictures upstairs in the bus of their friends.. where you could probily see around 30 people in the front section alone (where there are seats for just 12).. But they havent been uploaded on facebook or anything yet I guess. towards the back it wasnt that bad but the front and stairwells were packed. I cant say what downstairs was like as you coudlnt really go there without pushing past quite a few people.

10. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Having people downstairs and overloading a bus is fine, but people are NEVER meant to be standing upstairs unless heading to a seat or disembarking, let alone with that extra weight.

I'd have serious words with your college and the transport provider to see what happened, if the college refuse to do anything then report it to your local transport authority.

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Once i was in the back of an articulating bus when going through a fast left turn something broke on the rear right suspension. The front half managed to pull the rest out but it damn near rolled over and that wasn't even a double decker!

12. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

The buses here are always overloaded, several times the bus driver has asked people to get off and walk up certain bits of hill just so he can actually get the bus up the hill too!

13. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Do they get a discount on their fare :D?

14. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I seem to remember that when I went on buses they had a sign that said "Max 34 seated, 8 Standing" Etc so I very much doubt it's legal, I think buses are certified to carry a maximum number of people.

If I were you I'd get some pics off and take them to the college admin, tell them that it's not safe and they should have a word with the bus company. If they seem reluctant then suggest that the newspapers might be interested in having the pics.

Moriquendi

15. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Sadly not :p

16. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

as others have said, its not legal to exceed the gross vehicle weight limit of any road-going vehicle. i dont know what the laws are in the UK, but stateside its a federal case and the repercussions can be pretty severe.

personally, i wouldnt worry about it as long as it doesnt continue to reoccur. sometimes things happen and "you gotta do what you gotta do" to get everyone home (and you arrived safely after all), but repeatedly jeopardizing the publics safety (not just the passengers on the bus, but other motorists) is a sign of negligence and the responsible parties should be dealt with.

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Overloading a bus isn't actually that bad. The only potential danger is running into a bionic Mankz. I hear he can take down a bus and live to tell the tale.

Sir Digby likes this.
  18. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

haha, we got bitched at today by a college transport co-ordinator that suposidly we all messed around on friday (on abus that didnt turn up) and they were threatening to remove free busses from us its a piss take tbh, we brang up the fact the bus didnt turn up on friday and we had to all get on 1 bus etc but they seemed to ignore it :/