1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No APB refunds from RTW or Valve

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

FAIL

3. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

So you have to say your disapointed to get anything back, glad this game did not interest me in the first place....

*Here is a £1 voucher off Fifa 11 enjoy....lol*

4. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Who'd have thought EA would emerge as the good guys, even if it's only vouchers.

So with APB there wasn't a "non-MMO" mode playable through Steam? Total waste of money licensing the arcade game.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Well done EA..

6. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Seriously, if you HAD bought this game (and I assume that half the reason behind Realtimes demise is that only a handful did) you would be pretty peeved off. The game becomes unplayable the day after you buy it and the administrators say "tough luck".

Good on EA for stepping in and offering something, even if it is only vouchers. After all, its not their fault. And with games like BF3 due out, if anyone wants to spit their dummy out about the vouchers, I will take them off your hands for you!

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's not overly surprising, tbh. In cases when a business goes into administration, customers are the last people to get any money paid back.

The list of creditors goes: administrators & legal costs (get all of their fee paid); creditors (suppliers - get whatever money is left, or a portion thereof); customers (in the unlikely event there is money left, they may get a refund)

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

This is the way the games industry is heading. What if steam went backrupt, think of all the games you will loose and the same with Ms games devision and PSN etc.

More games are going sub based ie WOW etc and if the studios goes under you have lost your investment all those years. Dont think that just because steam is currently successful that it is amune to this because they are not. Any company can take a U-turn and go under.

9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

This is a great marketing move from EA. They're under no obligation to do anything but taking a contrary approach to Valve means they get seen in a good light, even if they're are offering discounts off future purchases of their own material.

10. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

Not sure how valve will get away with not refunding those who had only hours before the closure bought a copy.

Good on EA for doing something because as far as I understand it (in the UK at least) they are obligated to do nothing. The retailer is responsile for any issue or mis-selling etc.

11. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Sucks to be the guys who paid for this. EA wacking out as Sp4nky said 'a great marketing move' to see if they can get some nice game purchases for their own titles.

Is there no offline capability... or would that just be GTA4 without all the bugs?

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The most alarming thing is that retailers still have copies on the shelves. I was in HMV in Guildford on Friday last week and mentioned it to one of the staff but it was shrugged off as if it's not their problem.

What happens if people have bought copies recently, should the retailer by liable for the refunds?

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just like with WoW, there's no offline option as it's an MMO game.

Fair play to EA, for stepping in with vouchers, tbh.

14. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

That really sucks. There's no way retailers should still be selling these.

15. Canon

Canon Reformed

I would be absolutley fuming.

16. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I would go to my bank and tell them of the scam and have my money back that way, if the retailer refused me a refund.

17. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Well isn't it the retailers fault as they should've took them off the shelves the minute they had the news.

I still don't understand why i see Battleforge in HMV considering its free now..

18. unklepepper

unklepepper What's a Dremel?

In the UK at least Valve have a legal obligation to refund anyone if the product they sold is not fit for purpose or not as described no matter what their software licence says.

19. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Valve also operate under the distance selling act here in the UK that allows you 14 days to return a product bought online, regardless of it's type.

20. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Can anyone here tell me why Valve should be offering refunds? I can understand people wanting RTW to offer some compensation, but this has absolutely nothing to do with Valve.

Tags: Add Tags