1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Thoughts On Digital Magazines

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Sep 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Inquitus

Inquitus What's a Dremel?

I live in Ireland, and have always had to pay the equivalent of about 7-8 quid sterling depending on the rates, with no option to subscribe directly. 1st thing I did when I got my Custom PC email telling me you'd gone to Zinio was subscribe on my iPad.

Now I need to get to the bit where I apologies about having an iPad! The tablet PC market certainly exists and mine gets great use by all the family. Mines jailbroken ofc and I have added backgrounder multitasking etc. to try and get round Steve Jobs and Apples control freak mentality.

I have an Android phone, and fully expect to trade my iPad in for an Android tablet down the line. The Android market stacks up well against appstore on the phone front, and coupled with the freedom Android allows I'd take Android over Apple for phones any day of the week. However, the Android market is a million miles away on the tablet front, and until tablets appear in significant enough numbers to drive a decent Android App selection for tablets, iPad remains the only choice for the foreseeable, which in my opinion is early 2012 at the soonest.

3. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

Er, yes. Exactly what I was thinking ... and still am

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

This reminds me of a somewhat related article I read over on Wired a while back: The Web is Dead: Long Live the Internet.

One of the points the article made was that we are increasingly seeking information and entertainment in the form of applications that use the internet, rather than seeking individual web pages.

I never stopped to think about it much until after I read the article. I realized that when I'm using my iPhone I don't actually visit the New York Times, NPR, or BBC web pages to get news and information. Instead, I use the New York Times, NPR, and BBC News apps.

5. danielg

danielg Open Internet

Another boring blog entry by Alex lol!. (Sorry!. had to say it)

Steve Jobs' Sucks, Apple Sucks, the whole world sucks!.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2010
  6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

That app is very flash and looks a treat. This is the way I like to think these things are going and I hope it only gets better.

Problem, Tablets are far to expensive to be used in such frivolous ways and the price has to take a serious nosedive before I would even consider one. Don't get me wrong, I think some of what they do is cool and it is probably the only way I would use content like this but I would far far far rather spend the money on a laptop. When they hit sub £300 and have enough worthwhile content on them (say 3 years) then I would (maybe) be happy spending (wasting?) my money on such a device. Until then I will just use my PC and smartphone thank you very much.

PS **** steve Jobs! Oh and the first gen Ipad is a joke!

7. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

First thing I did was shudder.

Last time I used Zinio on the PC it was terrible.

Admittedly it was a few years ago now, but it was truly awful and slow.

But just think, by having digital versions, youre helping save the planet by not killing trees...although probably not doing enough to offset the pollution caused by making and shipping the iPad.

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The iPad will have to be £99 before I'm interested.

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

cant read a digital mag whilst on the can.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

unless you're reading on an iPad or other tablet/netbook :hehe:

12. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Yup, I agree with you in terms of where Android is at for tablets - even Google seems in two minds, sometimes saying Froyo is fine for tablets, other times saying it's really not and implying we should wait for Android 3.

That said, while Google are dithering with Android, the BlackBerry tablet, the Playbook, looks quite good, and HP can make good hardware to run WebOS - so I'd say that by mid 2011 there will be other options aside from the iPad. Of course, by then, we're on to iPad 2...

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

NEED THE WEEK DIGITAL MAG!

There's no point in ordering it internationally because it'll take 2 weeks to get here, which, for "last weeks news" means I'm reading stuff 3 weeks ago :/ Digital mag = instant win.

I really really miss reading The Week :(:( Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please give someone a kick to do this, Alex.

Honestly, I would buy an iPad just for it.

14. nuttsan

nuttsan What's a Dremel?

Next year will be the year of the tablet, with by Christmas this year a very strong showing from Android, kicking off with the Samsung Galaxy Tab (should be very good if it's anything like my Galaxy S phone).

However I won't be shelling out for another mobile subscription, so something more like the Archos 70 is my kind of thing: http://bit.ly/ckrObV all one needs is to grab the Market apk from somewhere, then with full flash etc., you've got one great bit of kit.

The only question is whether it's worth waiting to see what Google will do with Honeycomb and Gingerbread (next 2 OS upgrades after Froyo, got to love Google's code names).

p.s. Have to make this comment somewhere, RIM, WTF? PlayBook?!?

15. Morrius

Morrius What's a Dremel?

I bought an ipad primarily to use as a photographic portfolio with clients etc, and it has surprised me with the usefulness of many other apps. It's become another of the tools I'd miss if I didn't have it, which is about as high praise as you can get out of me. Anyway, I switched to using Zinio to read magazines a while ago, because I like to keep my magazines but don't like the stacks of paper accumulating around my house (same with books, cds, dvds etc, I'm a digital convert for sure). Zinio isn't perfect, but reading a magazine on it is surprisingly good, and I'm lucky that all the magazines I subscribe to in paper form are now on there (new scientist and custom PC got added this week!) First a trickle and then a flood - like it or not, digital magazines are most likely the way forward (as are e-books) and will be embraced in the way the MP3 has been.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

I planned to do the same, but reverted to a netbook half the price :grr:
    The Ipad would be great for that, but MAN it's expensive. :D

Ooooh, and they made you all stand the same as well :D

17. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I might consider reading e-magazines if they were free but Im not going to pay for information that I can search out on the internet. I no longer buy hard copies of magazines either for this same reason.

18. Morrius

Morrius What's a Dremel?

That's a relative term, I carry mine in a dodocase and let clients play with it themselves, I wouldn't want to hand over a chuggy netbook for them to play with. It makes an impression, it's probably paid for itself by now :)

19. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I'm waiting for the ASUS EEE PAd 121. If I'm going to spend £6-700, I'd like to get more than a toy for it. The iPad isn't for me.

20. AngusW

AngusW mmm

This!

Tags: Add Tags