1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 professional 64 bit not showing new overclock?

Discussion in 'Software' started by AngusW, 30 Sep 2010.

1. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Hey guys this is a bit of an odd thing. I recently managed to get my system up to a stable 4.2ghz (i7 920 d0) however windows 7 still sees my old overclock (4ghz) and so do the programs that read off the windows system information. The overclock is working fine, it can be viewed in cpu-z and there is a a noticeable improvement in benchmarks etc. So i was wondering why this is? Its not really a very important thing just my fussyness. I am just curious haha.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

What are your settings?

Are you forcing the 4.2GHz with turboboost (using 21x multiplier)

3. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Ah right yeah i am. I had it at the default 20x multiplier for the 4ghz and changed it to 21x to get the 4.2 i take it windows sees this as a turboboost and doesnt regonise it as the clock speed?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's a bit of a bug but it's all to do with the bodge ASUS do to unlock the extra multiplier

5. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Strange that you bring this up, I was also wondering why Windows reported 3.21GHz for my overclocked i5 when in reality it should be around 3.4 GHz or so (according to cpu-z it shows 3.37GHz and 21x).

The latest Asus bios update for my board that I did last month must have botched something up in statistics reporting?

6. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I've found many programs just read the default speed settings from the CPU/mobo rather than the actual speeds.

Just an annoying little quirk of windows really, use cpu-z for the actual speeds :p