1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Na'ir al Saif

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 3 Feb 2010.

1. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Wow some fantastic craftsmanship there.
    This is shaping up to be an awesome build.

2. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Have to chime in again, and I think Jipa nailed what I see.... I like to hang out on the render forum and by the gods of 3D... He's right!

3. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Skillzz...

He haz it :)

4. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

I too would like to know, it looks amazing, and so do thoughs case feet :jawdrop:

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Those pads look fantastic all polished up, as does the plexi, very nicely done.

6. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I'm your no.1 fan....no pun intended.

Most guys strive to raise the bar a little for the rest of us. Oldnewby, you snatched the bar away, broke it in two, and now you're beating us with it....

Excellent work mate. Nothing less than perfection!!:thumb:

7. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

LOL, you said that very funny.

But yeah he don't need to hear it anymore, does he? Excellent work mate!:D:D

8. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

+1 :thumb:

9. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

I am speechless, this is really cool your case.

Congratulations!

10. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks guys. :thumb: Yes there is a polishing tute back somewhere in the log. To get a good
    finish on the plex, after all the shaping and filing is done, I sand with 800 grit wet using a
    foam sanding block and then using only the loose leaf rag buff and the white compound,
    give it a polish till it's transparent. This happens very quickly and then buff with a soft rag.

The pieces are pretty good but they are far from perfect. Let me waffle for a bit...........
    Lets look at the case feet., these were turned for me by a friend at work. I gave him some
    drawings with measurements and also the stock. He did a very good job but in fact the
    small diameter of each piece is slightly different. There is a difference of just over 1.00mm
    between the smallest and the largest, all the rest fit in between. But this is OK because the
    struts, which I made by hand, are also slightly different. So, the feet are indivdually matched
    to a similar sized strut. The finish on the feet turned out to be quite good but the finish on
    the struts is not as good, despit having gone through the polishing process twice.
    Then there is the photography., You have to thank the invention of digital photography. I can
    shoot off up to 50 images of a part from every angle, with flash, without, in direct sun,
    in shade, indoors whatever. I pick the most favourable photo's, that is the ones that show
    whatever I want to show, in the best possible way, and load them into photoshop. Here
    auto levels are applied, auto contrast, auto colour, and sharpness. Then the photo's are
    reduced in size to 800pixels on the longest side, this compression has the effect of removing
    a lot of information hence making the photo's look even better. I'm not saying all this doesn't
    look good in real life, I think it does, but it's just not 'perfect', parts can always be improved
    but somewhere I end up drawing a line and thinking 'that's good enough'.

Thanks a lot guys. :thumb:

Well today was a beautiful spring day so I tried once more to finish the fan bodies.
    They didn't turn out as I had hoped but I've spent about two weeks on these and I've
    had enough. They look OK but just don't have that deep finish I was after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Oct 2010
  11. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

Unbelievable! This case is fantastic, it's just too good... I can't look at my pc anymore because of this.
    Not only you will get MOTM, MOTY, and featured in MDPC, I think there's a chance the "mod of the decade" will be created because of this. We should probably create a "Modder of the decade" award too, you'll definitely get that as well.
    Very niiiice!
    Those fans are nice, lovely finish!

Last edited: 3 Oct 2010
  12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Gorgeous fans :D

Love what you're doing so far mate. The polished plexi was fantastic (dare I say, more so than the polished alu?)

13. miahallen

miahallen Team IRONMODS - World Champions!

Very cool.....ALL of it :thumb:

14. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

outstanding. those look like the kinda fans the president wouldn't buy cuz it's too expensive!

15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The fans are outstanding.

16. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Haha... *Looks at own pc and looks away in disgust - UNWORTHY!!! IMPURE!!!* Don't worry mate, we all feel this way after one of oldnewby's updates. Thats why he leaves a couple weeks in between updates - so we may appreciate our pc's once again.

17. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

I call hax on this one ! :D

18. Dahl1n

Dahl1n What's a Dremel?

The king of modding :D
    Dont have to say anything more,

19. Dahl1n

Dahl1n What's a Dremel?

The king of modding:rock:,
    i dont need to say anything more right? ;)

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The fans "they look ok" :) I think you are your own biggest critic m8 :hehe:, to me & everyone else they really do look beyond perfect, I know you said the compression of the pics hides details but still I bet you have to get real close to see any faults & bet most wouldn't see them :thumb:.