1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows pre-installed os problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Milkshake93, 2 Oct 2010.

1. Milkshake93

Milkshake93 What's a Dremel?

PB desktop came with windows vista installed on HDD, product key is the side etc. Motherboard died so getting a new one. how am i going to re-install the OS if its on the drive? i asked random computer shops and they said i have to format drive and everything then do all the bios stuff and install os from scratch. but i cant format drive, it has the os on it:S, or maybe if i format it, vista will still be there? i dont know. enlighten me people, need your help

2. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

I don't understand, you say you're getting a new one; I take it it's an exact replacement PC as opposed to just a replacement motherboard?

If the OS is on the drive as opposed to them supplying you with a Windows disk like they're supposed to, then it'll be on a different partition and you can just install it from there using an option presented to you on boot.

Could you provide further details of exactly what's going on?

3. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

buy a similar specified motherboard and fit it. Windows should cope without a re-install.

and technically that's all your allowed to do under the oem licence, which you agreed to when you first got the machine ;)

PC builders don't normally ship with discs these days, and its not a requirement to ship with. I once read, though I can't be sure if it was cynical rambling or fact, that Microsoft prefer builder to not give discs.

You may have a recovery partition. formatting the windows partition wouldn't effect a recovery partition.

The recovery partition may or may not be useful. If it contains an image of the drive from factory, its not much use. If its a windows installer, it should cope as it won't detect and therefore install the old board's drivers.

You could just find someone with a vista disc (doesn't matter which version, just get the correct architecture) and use your licence key as on your COA on the machine

4. Milkshake93

Milkshake93 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, Okay um, to remove some confusion, basically I meant I have an old comp(nt rlly old, just has a dead motherboard) and im planning on getting a new motherboard for it. and I was wondering how I was going to install the O/S as it came pre-installed from the shop with windows Vista and to me it seems a bit of a waste to just get rid of it. so Im wondering if when i put all the parts together etc. will I have to COMPLETELY re-install the O/S or will it i dno, do something that goes "OO..new motherboard, BISH/BASH/BOSH/DONE!". and also say it did like detect the O/S that was already installed would I have to know the EXACT folder location etc? Im a newb so bare with me lol

5. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

I understood your original post and replied accordingly.

need clarification? let me know!

6. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

If I could throw another spanner into.....
    The installed operating system may be tied to the BIOS so you may have to "acquire" a Vista installation disk which the same version as the existing one but use the key on the COA label.

Tying the OS to the BIOS means that if you change the mobo the supplied OS will refuse to install as it checks to see if there is a bit of special code in the BIOS which identifies it as a Packard Bell.