1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WRC 2010 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

Tried the ps3 version and was vastly unimpressed, the car handling was so poor it was vastly unrealistic I have never seen a car so twitchy on a bend.

More work to be done I suspect on cars before the full version.

3. sc.uk^cRoSsFir3

sc.uk^cRoSsFir3 What's a Dremel?

Played for 10 minutes and deleted.

The graphics gave me a headache! :S

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well that's the thing - a demo should give you a taste of real game performance! It's there to sell you the game, it's not an open beta :eeek:

5. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

A version of "Dirt 2" that only focused on Rally Stages would be fine too.

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

WRC 2010 remade on the Dirt 2 engine with actual tracks from the real World Rallies would be epic.

Dirt 1 is pretty good in this respect although the tracks are made up IIRC.

This does bring back fond memories of Colin Mcrae Rally 1 & 2.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

dirt 1's rally stages were really well done, only complaint i had with d1 was cars gelt a little light.

8. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

When I played the demo last week, I tried my best not to uninstall it before giving it a chance of a few hours to impress me.

Like everyone else, I knew from the trailers that the graphics engine was going to be terrible. So the mandate was clear: I knew that I had to avoid putting my eyes too near my TV screen, otherwise it could set off a physical reflex action and cause me to press that crucial uninstall button.

Anyway, I wasn't impressed by the driving handling at all. It's not too bad, but I expected more realism. Especially from Black Bean. I did not test the driving with any of the assistance options on, so I can only comment on 'sim mode'. A game like this should really be played for a hardcore simulation experience.

Conclusion: The game demo did indeed get deleted from my PC. I concluded that, for a modern game, it didn't provide anything special compared to certain past games. The driving was fun. I would have kept the demo if it wasn't for the fact that the overall game, from many aspects, is of incredibly poor quality. I also thought that I wouldn't (or shouldn't) like Dirt 2 after playing this. But no, I actually ended up appreciating Dirt 2 even more. The car handling is better than Dirt in many ways, but there are too many unforgiving failings in this WRC 2010 game. Such as the terrible draw distance. There are so many environmental objects being drawn on the screen as you drive. It's ridiculous for a game that doesn't even have a demanding graphics engine. Then there's the convoluted method needed to setup a wheel or gamepad controller. It didn't even allow me to drive with my detected xbox controller, even though I was already using the same controller to navigate the menus and start the race. For some reason, it expected me to race with the use of the keyboard. I had to work out a special process in the menus to stop it from defaulting to keyboard control for races. The car details are good, but textures are very bland, and the environment looks like a PS2 game. For a PC game, I at least expected more menu graphical options, but this is poor, really poor.

9. Memnoch-fr

Memnoch-fr What's a Dremel?

Tried the demo on PS3 and was non-plussed. It's a pity, I was hoping a decent rally option would get to the console (yes I prefer driving games on consoles sorry :() GT5 apparently has WRC too so that should be enough (If it is ever released).

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

That's a shame, I love rally games like Dirt2 and would like to play another good one. Think I'll give this one a miss.

11. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Despite their developer walk-through explaining that virtually every wheel under the sun would work, I couldn't get my Driving Force GT to work properly with it. The game seemed to lose my pedals every race halfway through and the force feedback was very weak despite being set at 100%. Even with every assist on it also seemed that the cars felt like they were rolling on ball bearings and I never truly had any traction.

12. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

The dem runs like crap with my two gtx470's. I do like the graphics though.The graphics arent Dirt 2's dx11 but theyre not that bad either.

13. travers114

travers114 What's a Dremel?

I guess I'll be sticking to Richard Burns Rally for a while yet.

14. line2008

line2008 What is this "dremel" you speak of?

I thought the graphics were absolutly terrible i was playing colin mcrae rally 3 the other day on the PS2 and thats a way better game

15. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

possibly the worst demo i have played for at least three years.

16. Viper355

Viper355 What's a Dremel?

This game needed to be a modern day RBR, It failed on all counts.

17. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

This thing looks like Colin McRae 1!! Played the demo on a friend's XBOX and I just saw graphics from the past... Even an Intel GPU is enough for this thing... totally disappointed with this crap

18. steve30x

19. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Gfx wouldn't bother me as long as it felt like driving a rally car and had all the WRC tracks and jazz, if it feels like strictly come ice skating then meh

20. steve30x

The graphics arent as bad as some people are complaining about
    [​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags