1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Help with compents for i7 930 Home build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yellow Monkey, 4 Oct 2010.

1. Yellow Monkey

Yellow Monkey What's a Dremel?

Hi

I'm currently in the process of deciding the hardware for my first build, and would like some input about my choices as I uncertain about some things.

Budget: 1000-1200

Main uses of intended build
    : I intent to use my computer as a gaming rig, to play such games as "STALKER call of piptyat", "mafia II" "Counterstrike Source" ect.

Parts required
    : Below is a list of parts that I am thinking of getting. (www.scan.co.uk)

• 2.8Ghz Intel Core i7 930
    • Asus P6x58D-E
    • Corsair Hx850
    • Western Digital 1TB Cavair Black
    • Thermaltake Frio
    • Coolmaster CM 690 Advanced II
    • Sapphire HD 5850 Vapor-X
    • Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit
    • 2x Cheap optical drives

Previous build information (list details of parts): N/A

Monitor resolution: I currently do not have a monitor, but would like one with HD.

Storage requirements: Ask listed above.

Will you be overclocking: No

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): I do intend to crossfire in the future.

Extra information about desired system:

There are a couple of things Im sure about,
    #1 Is the case big enough to fit the GPU in and will it have room for two, as i intend to crossfire in the future.
    #2 Do I need the after market cooler is i do not intend to overclock
    #3 I am unsure of which Ram to get, I do know however that the Motherboard supports DDR3 triple channel, and the i7 930 supports DDR3 800/1066. Which one should i go for and what make.

I would appreciate any help

Regards

Yellow Monkey

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The i7-950 is the same price as the 930 right now if you can still get one, go for that instead.

I can't help you with the case, I have the original CM 690 and it does look like it has the room, but I can't tell you for sure with the second revision.

If you're not overclocking, the aftermarket cooler would only help keep noise down. The stock Intel cooler is pretty loud.

Stick with DDR3 1066 or 1333, 1600 might not even cost more and it will allow you to overclock better in the future if you choose to do so.

Most memory brands are good, I've assembled PCs using Corsair, GeIL, Crucial, Kingston and OCZ RAM, mostly based on what had a good price at the time. The only problem I had was one bad 256MB DDR-400 Corsair stick, but this was a really long time ago.

It's a bit late to invest in an HD5850 setup since the HD6xxx cards are going to be released soon. Even if you choose not to go for the 6850 or whatever, you'll be able to pick one up for a bit cheaper than they are now if you wait a bit.

Hope I could help!

3. Yellow Monkey

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I was not aware of the 950s been the same price, and will look into that :D
    I was also unaware of the 6xxx series as i have heard nothing about it as Iv been away for 8 months traveling.
    But I still think that I shall go for the 5850 as it is in my price range, and i cant wait.

Would you be able to suggest a good cheap monitor that supports HDMI?
    Also the ASUS P6X58D-E's back panel dos not have a HDMI/any monitor output, or I i mistaken?

Regards

Yellow Monkey

4. Yellow Monkey

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the mointor issuse?

5. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi monkey. I Cant tell you much about monitors, but the Dell ultrasharp models tend to be viewed favourably here. Do you have a monitor price range?

Regarding the video outputs - it is pretty common for intel motherboards to not have video outputs these days. The monitor will connect to your 5850, almost certainly using the common DVI interface. Basically all graphics card and monitors will support DVI (but always check anyway ;)). Sounds like you will also want your monitor to have HDMI, and many models have both so that you can have a PC and another device connected.

I hope that helps!

6. Tentacled

Tentacled What's a Dremel?

Everyone's just waiting for Goodbytes to show up.

Does the monitor need to come out of your overall budget?

7. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

1) The card(s) should fit fine. Where you might run into problems is if you have like 8 HDDs in the rack which you obviously don't have.
    2) You don't need another cooler unless you plan to overclock in the future or unless you find that your CPU runs really hot
    3) for RAM, manufacturer doesn't matter too much. Look for a low CAS latency (if no CAS latency is explicitly listed, the CAS latency number is the same as the first number in the timings which look like #-#-#-## or something). And get 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz. 1600Mhz is quite over kill though unless you think you might OC in the future. I haven't come across a 1366 board yet that didn't support triple channel :p.

For a monitor, just get the largest monitor (24" or higher) that's in your budget that's got 2ms on it.

8. trig

trig god's little mistake

unless you're an ati fanboy, or found a 5850 for closer to the $150 you can get a gtx460 768mb card for, i'd go for the gtx460. other than that, good choices. card will fit fine, the psu is overkill but at least you chose quality.

9. Yellow Monkey

Thanks very much for you advice, Its has put my mind at rest over certain issues.

:D :D

Regards
    Yellow Monkey