1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Powerful netbook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MageOutlaw, 6 Oct 2010.

1. MageOutlaw

MageOutlaw What's a Dremel?

is there a netbook somewhere that can play eve at decent to good quality? anyone know of one?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ASUS 1015T or 1215T: AMD Nile platform with Radeon HD 4200-series graphics should be good for their low resolutions (1024x600 / 1366x768). It won't be fast-fast but it's got a decent CPU-GPU combo.

OR,

ASUS 1215N - Atom D525 dual core + Nvidia Ion-2, or any other similar Ion-2+Atom dual core netbook.

Acer does popular netbooks as well, and also check out MSI.

If you're looking for battery life when gaming though, I would largely forget it - you'll be looking at 1-3 hours tops depending on config.

Depends what your budget is and what size you want?

3. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I saw a load of Alienware netbooks at the MCM Gaming Expo, was running BC2 at max on a 12" screen :\

4. MageOutlaw

im looking for something that's not fantastically expensive probably something in the range of 800 USD or less. something with a decent screen size but also small and portable. the thing is that i cant bring myself to buy anything super expensive because i always find myself worrying about it. i just wont something that i can play games on, like eve or SC2 and that can handle the load so to speak. plus if i decide to mod it i wont be sh*ting bricks because it was originally 5 grand lol. also something that can handle some abuse this system will also be travailing with me to work and it needs to be something that can handle more then a sneeze on it if you get what im saying. i know that im asking a lot but im just trying to get a feel for whats out there and getting advice from people that know much more then myself :)

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

$800? You can go for something more than a netbook!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115863

If you don't care about battery life at all, then the AMD option gives you a lot more performance. The 5650 graphics card is probably the most powerful you can get on your budget, but it's a 17.3" monster! :eeek:

Or a refurbished gaming laptop, again quite big though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220796

The problem with small is then it becomes "thin and light", which limits your graphics options.

Smaller options include, but again suffer battery life with an AMD CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115821

I'd definitely budget for an SSD too, if you can, it certainly boosts performance in a laptop.

thehippoz likes this.
  6. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I'm just throwing this out there...

Alienware m11x? Pretty snazzy specs, tiny size, good battery, customisable, and Goodbytes says there is haggling to be done if you call Dell up and get a good rep.

7. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

That's the one I was referring to earlier, really impressive bit of kit ;)

8. MageOutlaw

i just got done looking at the M11x and that thing is AMAZING for how small it is... i might be blowing my budget pretty soon:wallbash:

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If you're in the UK, an M11x can be had for £649 here - they also ship to the US, but I don't know how much it'd be.