1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. r0obin

r0obin What's a Dremel?

OK, tested the voltage to 1.225v and now the card is more stable. My temp on GPU is around 44 degrees and VRM temperatures are around 65 -75 degrees when I used Furmark for 10 minutes at 800x600. So I guess it's my card that needed more power. I use a loop in my water system that cools the CPU, mainboard and a hd5970. The card I use is ATI hd5970 BE.
    What is the max voltage you can have on the GPU when using 24 / 7 clock?
    Can I use this clock on my video card or should I clock it down?

//Robin

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yes you can as long as you follow the guide correctly. Make sure you type the command atiflash -i to see which is your Master and which is your slave GPU.

Cheers,

Simon.

3. juanp

juanp What's a Dremel?

i installed it today and it worked. thanks.

can i increase it to around 980 stable ?

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I take it you installed the 950/1200 vbios. If so it should be fine up to 990mhz, but it's all down to your card whether it will be stable or not.

Cheers,

Simon.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Added another Pre OC vbios to post#1 1000mhz GPU 1300mhz (5200mhz) Memory. Please only use if you are using a waterblock with a decent size Radiator.

I cannot guarantee stability on all cards with these clock speeds. So if it doesn't work for you, then use the 950/1200 vbios which should be stable enough for 90% of you.

Cheers,

Simon.

6. sleeper52

sleeper52 What's a Dremel?

@true_gamer: Back again for some advice :D
    so I got the pre OC vbios for 950/1200 and running fine on my XFX card right. It's runs smoothly except that when i read my temps using diagnostics software, it's stuck at 42C whether on idle or on load... When i run everest and click on the GPU portion, it attempts to process the command but then it freezes my pc...
    could this be because im using a sapphire vbios rather than XFX? or could this be something else?

7. 4.54billionyears

4.54billionyears What's a Dremel?

while pc is booting up tp F8 key enter safe mode
    star/run/regedit highlight computer
    click edit/find enableulps DWORD hexadecimal entry 1 change to 0. F3 search for more enableulps entries.
    reboot to normal desktop

enableulps must be edited in registry every time radeon catalyst is installed.
    this will enable everest to run without freezing problems.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2010
    Guest-44432 likes this.
  8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks for that bit of info. :thumb:

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. sleeper52

sleeper52 What's a Dremel?

Thanks. will try this and will post results :thumb:

10. 4.54billionyears

4.54billionyears What's a Dremel?

true_gamer,
    Pre OC vbios 1000/1300 1.35v VDDC 1.25v VDDCI
    10001300M.AC1 filename is too long. causes error during atiflash.
    ms dos has a long filename error where over 8 letters or numbers causes 0FL01 error.

true_gamer, thank you very much for creating this thread and your work on hd5970 pre oc vbios projects are amazing. thank you to everyone who participated

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If that is the case. You can rename the 2 vbios files from 10001300M.AC1 to M.AC1 for the Master and 10001300S.AC1 to S.AC1 for the slave.

Then the command would be;

atiflash -p 0 M.AC1 -f

atiflash -p 1 S.AC1 -f

Cheers,

Simon.

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I have now renamed them for you (1000/1300 vbios names). So the files are now M.AC1 and S.AC1.

Can someone confirm that it does work, and that it ain't the vbios.

Cheers,

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  13. PeterWar

PeterWar What's a Dremel?

updated to latest saphire vBios (735Mhz/1010Mhz) a week ago to solve 2D artifacting issues, I've been perfectly fine for a week, but three days from now while watching a Divx rip I got a hard freeze, sound from video was still on but screen got frozen, there's nothing I could do but a hard power off. Event register on Windows 7 only shows a hard power off, any ideas on what could happen?

I got the same problem once, just when my RAID 0 colapsed, but all my RAID appears to but just fine, screen locks and there's nothing I can do but reboot, installing windows 7 on a new partition did not solve the issue for me.

Hard freeze occurs at random, always when computer is at idle, or when watching a video, but never during gaming or under heavy stress, I don't think is a PSU issue.

I have X-Fi Fatal1ty mounted on a PCI slot, I've been told that some people got issues with faulty X-fi that caused IRQ problems, this would explain freezes while watching videos, but why do I have sometimes the same freezes when idle?

I have to say that I have BOINC manager enabled when ideling, I run roseta@home with my CPU, but never with more than 70% of my CPU time, and my computer is full prime stable and SuperPi stable.

System:

CPU
    Intel Core i7 920 C0 Batch(3841A) Motherboard
    Gigabyte X58 Extreme (WC chipset, No Silent Pipe)) Memory

3x2Gb OCZ Platinum PC 12800 7-7-7@1.65v Graphics Card
    AMD/ATI RADEON 5970 OC vBIOS 1.26

Hard Drive
    2xIntel x-25M GEN2 160 GB SSD RAID 0,4x1TB RAID5 Sound Card
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Power Supply
    Enermax Evolution 85+ Case
    Lian-li V2000B (Modded by Little Devil)
    CPU cooling
    Little Devil's Single Stage Phase Change, moded GPU cooling
    EK Water Block Copper OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Monitor
    Samsung 22" T220HD 1680x1050p

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Try using your PC with the X-Fi uninstalled (+Drivers) to see if that solves your problem?

Cheers,

Simon.

15. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

@peterwar;
    i have the same problem but on my laptop. i too have windows 7 ultimate and the freeze occurs at random, though never when i play (well, once, but that was due to overheating. bed and laptop don't mix). i'm thinking it might be win7.

16. PeterV

PeterV What's a Dremel?

Hi all
    Everytime I use RBE to edit a BIOS I end up with the Slave version having the 'blank' vendor fields for Atiflash - though they look fine when reloaded into RBE.
    If I use Simon's BIOS's, which also have the blank Slave fiields, they work.... but mine get into Windows but the 2nd video adaptor is 'unable to start'. And nothing can get it going.
    I pretty well can never edit a BIOS with RBE (1.25) and end up with a working one.

But then I did edit Simon's 875/1200 BIOS a bit and that worked ok (still the blank fields). I must have edited BIOS's 50 times so far, almost none work once I get all things I want done. (even doing 1 bit at a time to see how it goes, they fail after a few sections edited).
    I still want to edit Simon's more to adjust the fan speeds to suit my Accelero cooler better. Maybe that BIOS will still work after another section of editing and I can finally be all finished!
    Thanks for that BIOS Simon!

I found (using AB) that if I run 1.15 Core V, 875 is fine. But if I move to 1.162 then the FPS test results go up - for the same GPU/Mem speeds. And even higher FPS if I move to 1.175. But the VRM's get hotter. To me that seems odd that the CoreV can raise the FPS, seeing 875 runs totally fine long term on 1.15v

My Core0 VRM's are running in 115degC area... sounds to hot to me(??). Core1 around 108degC area. They have Accelero heatsings/airflow... but maybe not enough really. Are they too hot??

I don't turn off ULPS (registry) and usually set all mem mode speeds to be the same (eg all 1150), thus that stops the 'screen/window flashing' issues. But Simon's 875/1200 didn't do the flashing stuff anyway - and it has several mem speeds for modes. I changed any 1200 to 1150 for my card, but all other values I left as per his ones.
    But if I alter the GPU speed (using AB) to ANY speed other than 875 then I get the flashing! But a rock solid display if left at 875. That seems weird to me!

At the desktoo Core0 runs 400/1150 (never 157/300), whilst Core1 runs 157/300. BUT Core1 can come out of a 3D app and be stuck on 725/1000... which isn't even a speed in the BIOS! Huh??

I just thought I would mention some of my cards quirks... and a few questions in there too.
    Tons of great info in this thread!! Seems I need WC next....

17. James Kennedy

James Kennedy What's a Dremel?

Hi Simon and all,

I thought I'd posted my questions in this thread, but I don't see my post, so forgive me if this is a duplicate.

Anyway, I have the "cold" bug with my PowerColor HD5970 (AX5970 2GBD5-MD, Radeontm HD 5970 725MHz, 2GB (2 x 1GB) GDDR5 4000MHz). Win 7 64-bit, 12G RAM, plenty of HD space; 1.9 drivers.

I've solved most issues by using CCC to make a profile that sets the GPU idle clock to 300 rather than 157. WoW was causing GSODs/freezes for a time, but a few days ago I installed AMD's new profile-app thing for WoW, and I've had zero crashes since then.

Really the only issue I seem to have now is a GSOD in YouTube videos! What's up with that? I'm not sure I want to flash my GPU BIOS just to watch the occasional YouTube video, something I don't do much. And I'm nervous about flashing the GPU BIOS.

I spoke to my card's tech support, and they indicated that they don't make an alternate BIOS available. Not surprisingly, they don't officially recommend my flashing the BIOS. In fact, the guy I spoke to says he has the same card with the same issue, and he's just hoping the new drivers from AMD (out Wednesday this week) might help, together with CCC profile tweaking.

What do you recommend for me? Is there a YouTube fix that doesn't involve flashing?

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I would just flash it. All the information is here in this thread.

Simon.

19. James Kennedy

James Kennedy What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I forgot to ask: is flashing viable even if you use the GPU's stock fan rather than watercooling? I thought I read somewhere that your procedure was outlined with water blocks in mind.

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Only the overclocked vbios in post 1 that state to be used with a waterblock should be used with a waterblock.

Otherwise the very first vbios is the standard Sapphire OC edition vbios, which many people have used on different branded cards.
    Please read the thread very carefully before flashing.

Cheers,

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.