1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MOH changes Taliban to Opposing Force

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Oct 2010.

1. Lucas | GhoSt

Lucas | GhoSt What's a Dremel?

F**k that! I wanna kill sum Talibans!!!

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

3. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I wish the EA spokesman would have said: If we change the name, the terrorists win...

4. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

LMAO at clowns being sensitive over a GAME faction being called TALIBAN, WTF, seriously, of all the things to be mad at, what about MOVIES that use taliban, Watched NCIS the other night, it had TALIBAN in it, where is the rage? Geta life idiots. Its a fictional GAME, you shoot with pixalated guns. These people COMPLAINING will never even touch the game they just saw the word taliban and game in one sentence and their ignorance took care of the rest.

Lots of high horse condescending douche bags in this thread. Im gonna sign in as Bin laden in MOH just to tick you off.

5. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

i find humans like you disgusting, I have lost people in my life, the LASt thing on my mind is if a GAME faction called taliban hurts my feelings. Grow the heck up. Seriously, this has ZERo to do with real life events, its a game, and its just online sides. Naming an online faction the taliban has zero effect on 99% of sane humans who have lost people in the warr.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I would like to point out the irony of telling someone to "grow the heck up" in such an immature manner. You obviously have your own opinions on the matter, but an honest piece of advice: people will be more willing to listen when you behave in a reasonable manner.

My only confusion is why so many people are up in arms defending the original naming. The name bothered some people, so it was changed. I don't see the great desire to play as a terrorist that so many people seem to have. As Memnoch-fr says, there are still people out there fighting this very real war, the war which Medal of Honor specifically portrays, as opposed to the strikingly similar but still fiction conflicts in games such as MW2. It strikes me as crude and callous to play a video game as their potential killers. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to and think it's a bit silly for EA to go and change the name so late, but why would you want to is what bugs me. Go enlist if you want to fight terrorists.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Does it even matter? Who's still going to buy the game, IMO it wasn't all that great. I defiantly wouldn't spend money to play it.

8. Daddyfish

Daddyfish What's a Dremel?

If your going to base a game in a real life country then the name of any factions belonging/ present in it should be used. What's the point in dumming things down as to not appear insensitive when the game is about killing people and blowing things up. Virtually simulating someone getting getting their head blow to pieces by a sniper is fine, but having your team name as Taliban is not?

9. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Why do people want to play as terrorists you ask?

The answer is because nobody is actually substituting playing a game for a real life war experience. I have no desire to experience the horrors of war anytime soon and I have great respect for those who do even if I may not agree with the reason for them being there.

People just want a a great game with a good story whether based on real events or not and in the case of an FPS, good gunplay. Nobody is playing the game to substitute shooting US soldiers in the face in real life so does it really matter what the factions are called? Anybody who takes offense to this need to be a little less uptight.

Isn't the reason American soldiers are in conflicts at the moment to protect the freedoms that American citizens enjoy and freedom of expression is one of them. Anybody who feels offended by the inclusion of the Taliban in a game are cheapening the sacrifice made by american soldiers.

PS: I am not american

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Right there. That's what I don't understand.

In one sentence you say that it doesn't matter, but in the next claim that people need to be less uptight when they take offense. Going by the first sentence there is no reason for anyone to give it a second thought when the name is changed. It's just a name which ultimately has no effect on the game. The story and gameplay are all entirely the same. What does it matter if someone else in the world does take offense? The argument is now "I am offended" vs. "It's just a name". If "It's just a name" is true, then it's not a valid argument and "I am offended" wins by default.

Yet people still want the name to have stayed. So what's the real argument? That freedom of expression should be upheld? That's a double-edged sword. People who take offense are free to make their opinions known, they're adding just as much value to that freedom of speech as anyone else. So why should the enemy in the game be named the Taliban as opposed to anything else?

11. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

I am saying there is no need to take offence to having the Taliban in the game for the reasons I outlined. I am also saying that people who are taking offence to this are free to be offended and call on the name to be changed. That doesn't mean they are right. This isn't hate speech or inciting violence so I don't see the need for meaningless censorship.

You ask why they should be called the Taliban in game? Presumably the reason is due to the setting. I am sure now that the name has been changed we are still not playing as terrorists in the game.

12. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Where should I do this research? On the Jihadi websites? On the government conspiracy sites? The newspapers? I do not agree, nor disagree with this drama, but please don't try to make people out as naive because they haven't watched a "documentary" on it or read the newspapers. You can not have been present at every event that has caused what we see today.

Tags: Add Tags