1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MsMpeng.exe made crazy by world of tanks

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigkingfun, 2 Oct 2010.

1. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

It seems that this process, belonging to Microsoft Security Essentials, is giving many people headaches by eating up resources.

I downloaded World Of Tanks after reading about it here, and as soon as the installer was downloaded MsMpeng.exe took most of the HDD resources.
    MsMpeng.exe will cripple my HDD, until I disable realtime protection, and I cannot seem to find any solutions for it.

Have anybody here had this issue?

Thanks

2. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Had the same issue, security essentials went nuts with the world of tanks installer, I just disabled it till the game was installed.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You could add it to the list of exceptions.

4. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

The thing is, the problem is still there after the game have been installed.

I reinstalled MSE but that did not solve it.
    Now, I am running the laptop with realtime protection turned off. Otherwise I cannot get any work done.

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

MSE has had this issue with various things since it launched, far too much of an occasional system rapist.

6. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I found this problem a few weeks ago. After some reading on the web I found it is a big problem for some people. I only noticed it by accident. I booted up one day and before I had started any programs the CPU indicator in Task manager was showing strong activity.

My solution is to open task manager, go to Processes tab and then kill the MsMpeng.exe process. Wait another 10 seconds or so and then restart Microsoft Essential from the Start menu. Everything is then fine. It works every time.

It wont stop the problem coming back but it does give me all my system back again for that session.

7. rehk

rehk What's a Dremel?

I had this problem with a large installer for a mod for STALKER. Its basically caused by MSE trying to automatically scan it upon the download finishing, and something causes it to freeze, even if you exit the folder and go back into again.

I found after some googling that you can bypass it by adding the file to the list of exceptions in MSE.