1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Watercooling By rjkoneill

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rjkoneill, 5 Jul 2009.

1. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

The past few weeks I have spent hours trawling the internet to find a fan controller.

whilst the prospect of spending £100+ on a smart controller such as the fantastic Aquaero or Tbalancer was quite appealing, the fact that neither of them look particularly great or match anything in my current build is a bit offputting.

whilst the lure of a usb interface and smart cooling options would suit my new '6 fans only' setup, it is not ideal from an aesthetics point of view.

i went back to the idea of an analoge fan controller as it was the simplest idea.

i used to have the old plain ZALMAN ZM MFC1 Plus controller and it worked well but i noticed Ace Modder managed to get some of the Lamptron models in at work
    Lamptron Fan Controllers
    these are regarded as a great brand specific to fan controllers so i thought i would try one.

everyone who knows me or has read one of my build logs knows that i hate flash lights and that subtle is the key.

i went for the Lamptron FC2 - this is the cheapest in our range but only by a few pounds. the reason it is close to the next model up [the FC5] is because the FC2 sacrifices led screens and all that rubbish for raw power

the FC2 is a rheobus controller that is capable of 45w per channel
    this means you can run Delta fans on it. not that i will, but the capability is there. the controller is well made and whilst it is supposed to cause some fans to hum when they are at really low speeds [from what i have read in reviews], i have only used decent fans with it so far and had no issues whatsoever.

the cool addition to this controller is that every channel can be switched off which my previous controller [ZALMAN ZM MFC1 Plus] was incapable of.
    this means that i can switch off my 240 radiators fans and run my system off a 480 radiator on low speed if i want. the flexability is there which is what i wanted.

however. whilst the controller itself is a very well made piece of kit, the reason i went for this controller was for its features. i wanted to make the controller fit into my build and heres how i did it...

first i took the controller apart, this was fairly easy as i had to remove 4 screws and pull the knobs off the controller.
    [​IMG]

after removing the face plate from the controller, i prepared the bezel that i would be using for the mod. in this case, a vented bezel from lian li. the entire front of my TJ07 will soon be filled with these bezels so it will make the controller blend in really well.
    [​IMG]

i used the dremel to cut off the tabs on the side to be left with a front plate that resembled the stock one that lamptron fitted. i used the lamptron plate to create small drill holes in the bezel for each knob on the controller. i then used a larger drill bit to widen the holes. i wanted to keep the original face plate in good condition as this mod is totally reversable which means you can customise the controller then put it back to stock if you ever sell the controller on.
    [​IMG]

the lamptron controller has a row of LEDs that light up the area around each knob on the controller. LEDs are not required for me as subtle is the key, if you do this with a blank face plate then they will be covered anyway.
    i found some foam that comes in the bezels of the antec 902 at work which i thought would do the trick. but i guess you could cut your own. the foam helped to bulk out the bezel to the same depth as the solid stock face plate on the controller so it is fairly required. [i can get these foam strips easily so message my trust if you need one] i poked holed through with scissors to match the bezel.
    [​IMG]

the bezels i am using have a mesh dust filter behind them so i put this inbetween the foam so that you couldnt see it through the little holes. it makes it look a little more stealth and it blends in with the other bezels that way.
    [​IMG]

after putting all three layers together then it is ready to go straight on to the controller and have the dials replaced. the pressure of the controller dials keeps the new face plate in shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it is a case of 'Mission Accomplished'

this mod took me 15 minutes, cost £25 and is fully reversable. give it a go, if you are looking for a new fan controller but are looking for something to match your case, this may be it.

"before you mention that i scratched the top left corner of the bezel, i know i did, i dropped it because i am clumsy. a new bezel has been made and it has been replaced already :D]

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Really nice! :thumb: Love the "stealth" effect.

3. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice work on the fan controller mod, looks great, stealthy.

5. Infiniti

Infiniti i modded the wheel!

love it :D awsome work but i would have gone for an automatic fan controller keep the clean looks on the outside of case

6. rjkoneill

Heres a small guide about how I am mounting my block.

the EK supreme series has all come with the same standard mounting hardware for as long as I can remember.

this series of springs and nuts works well but is a bit unsightly.

moving on, i obtained a backplate for 1366 from a damaged CoolIT domino at work. now some 1366 coolers have suitable backplates [megahalem and venom spring to mind]

the Watercool 1366 backplate from the heatkiller range would work too but that uses M4 screws [im going to use M3 as it fits the backplate i will be using]

[​IMG]

the backplate is run of the mill but it contains its own screw threads on the mounting holes, ideal for my requirements.

it fits to the back of the board [i used a small piece of double sided tape to hold it in place]
    [​IMG]

decided to remove the stock black mounting plate from my Supreme HF and replace it with the new Nickel Plated one from EK

[​IMG]

its so shiny, its essentially the same as looking at the sun.

[​IMG]

then using the screws you mount the block into place.
    [i used M3 X30 here as an example but have ordered some stainless button head screws of the same size] i will probably be using some small washers to protect the mounting plate a bit. more pics when i have the screws i will use in the final build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and heres what the blocks on the board are going to look like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Just to let you know i love your fan controller mod and i'm going to blatantly copy it. This solves my non-matching faceplate and annoying LED problem at the same time.

<3

8. rjkoneill

excellent news, if you need help with anything then just pm me :)

9. rjkoneill

finally, after months of planning and setbacks I have finally manged to get the new hardware and parts fitted to my system.

10am this morning and I finished at 7pm. :D

really pleased with the outcome this time and I think that I will be drawing the line under this project now.

I will let the pics do most of the talking but will cherp in with explinations if need be.
    also please check the video at the end, its not great quality as it was a last minute idea and was shot with an iPhone. but it should give you all an understanding of just how quiet the system is now.
    Seriously, I cant even tell its on!

Ripped everything apart and started again...
    [​IMG]

Riveted the custom rear panel in place
    [​IMG]

looking sleek
    [​IMG]

hello old friend...
    [​IMG]

midplate cut, filed, de-burred and bulkhead in place :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

straight down into the D5
    [​IMG]

and into the Quad, Tygon Goodness ;)
    [​IMG]

the tubing route i had planned in my head for months worked brilliantly
    [​IMG]

facepalm
    [​IMG]

PA 240 mounted in the drive bays
    [​IMG]

things are going to be tight. i moved it back so that it had a bit of space to suck air and wasnt right next to the mesh
    [​IMG]

had to get creative with fittings to make this work
    [​IMG]

Gigabyte with their 'not so' stealth backplate :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

ssds on velcro :p
    [​IMG]

very tight squeeze :eek:
    [​IMG]

Xigmatek blueline XLF fans looking pretty sweet
    [​IMG]

starting work on the board...
    The Dominator GT will have new heatsinks soon, i plan on getting some of the extended fins but more of that later ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

got some matching screws for my CPU Block
    wanted this to be the primary focus of the build
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Start of the tubing routes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tubing finished
    [​IMG]

really pleased with how this turned out. really neat.
    [​IMG]

fitted the last fan and ran out of black screws :rolleyes:. will pick some up at work on Monday. also had to use three of the fan extention cables from the fan controller. of course they werent braided so an emergency braiding job was required and completed on all three cables in 20 minutes.
    speed braiding is my new speciality :D
    [​IMG]

the coolant I used is very good. Mayhem Pre-Mix X1 UV Blue, supplied by the brilliant Mayhems Dye. it looks incredible in the system, the pictures really dont do it any justice at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello Pretty
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

fitting the front bezels
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

totally transforms the look of the case, i prefer this to the stock bezels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shoddy SSD mounting at the moment. i plan on sorting this out soon :eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i installed the final component.
    after all the faffing with MurderMod I gave up any hope of ever seeing a luminous panel.
    instead i chose a lian li LED strip. took 5 seconds to fit. good times.
    [​IMG]

Lights off...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

makes the tinted windows look incredible
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats it for now.

thanks for checking it out

rjk

10. rjkoneill

heres the system at half fan speed folding away happily at 100% load on the cpu and gpu

my youtube vid

11. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Wow! Looks impressive, but please do something about that RAM! It stands out like a sore thumb in that sea of blue and black.

That coolant looks great though, and your tube routing is spot on.

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I actually quite like the red heat-spreaders on this :p

13. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Nice mod. The only thing I dislike is the Ram red heat spreader and the back plate (I dunnno what can be done for the Ram but you could paint the back plate)

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Suddenly it looks a lot less subtle now.
    But somehow i like it.Even the red ram sinks, oddly enough.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Looking superb but you got to finish it off with something on that side window please

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looks real god, well done. I think the red heat spreaders add a bit of contrast to all the blue.

17. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Looking sweet. Looks so much better with the fanhole-less back :thumb:

Which way is the fan behind the front 5.25" bays blowing? Don't you get air collecting in the back top what with no fans to exhaust out the top or the back?

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks very impressive mate, great work.

19. rjkoneill

Thanks for all of the kind comments :thumb:

im getting some extended dominator heatsinks soon, just need to wait for my buddy at corsair to pull his finger out.
    then they need to be sent away for nickel plating ;)

as mentioned, the heatspreaders are changing. which backplate do you mean?
    if its the 480 one, then no. thats not changing. everythign is nickel plated for a reason. i had a black backplate and it looked ok but the nickel one is brilliant.

it does look subtle in real life. its very stealthy until it turns on and all the lights come on. :rock:
    i was totally sick of the black and white look. it seems that once my build was complete, every system i saw had white tubing/fans.

it was a challenge to do blue and not make it look like every other boring blue watercooled pcs.

what like an etching or something? the side window looks pretty sweet imo :confused:

he MP:thumb:

the intakes at the front are blowing in. if you notice the graphics card is a bit further down. all of the air gets blown out of the pcie slots. if you put your hand at the back of the case it piles out of there quickly. there have been no hot spots that i have found so far either.

the temps are sweet so im not too worried.

20. Infiniti

Infiniti i modded the wheel!

Love it looks friggin awsome!! best cases in the world :D