1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Radeon HD 6870 leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Oct 2010.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Well there will probably be £250 difference between those cards and an even bigger margin on performance. Unless you have aging hardware, is there any reason to upgrade?

This just feels like AMD trying to claw sales before Christmas to lower their losses this quarter. Unless you are going to buy the top end 6870 then you may as well buy the GTX460 since it will still be in the recommended section for some months yet.

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

damn I am now dribbling, time to exchange my 5870's for one of those

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Has there been any talk from the various water block companies like EK or Danger Den about releasing water blocks for this card or any of the upcoming models

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

if they come out with a card with the same price of 460 but outperforms it by at least 25%..... then i'll be interested.

until then, 460 is my best bet for my Q6600 @3.6 with 1680x1050 monitor...

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well I intentionally skipped the 5 series so Im running two 4870 1gb in Crossfire but ya Im leaning towards getting a single 6870 and then going to crossfire later down the road when I get into more DX11 based gamed. The reason why I was thinking of a 6770 was simply that all the games I play are DX10, one or two are DX11 and well if those specs are correct about the 6770 it could handles all those games with no issue so I was like hmm save some money and wait to do a bulldozer build or sandy build but ya I think Im just going to bite the bullet and get a 6870.

6. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm hoping that the 6850 will be a decent length and single slot...

I'd like to upgrade but my case hasn't got a lot of room.

7. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Presumably still going nowhere for peeps who want to dual-boot with a GNU/Linux-based distro... Meh...

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Totally a guess here, but it probably will be double slot only. Higher end cards are getting more and more comfortable with the long length/double slot design as gamer cases and motherboards are being designed to fit them. With so many integrated features on new motherboards there is little need for anything more than a single PCIe x1-4 card which can be put on just about any full ATX board even with an SLI/Crossfire setup. Single slot high end cards are just too much of a niche market since they are difficult to design and only have applications in compact gaming machines.

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

How do we know that Nvidia aren't taking a hit on pricing the 460 at the current level - plus poor sales of the 465, 470 & 480?

The 460 will still be a great buy if AMD can't get something out equivalent to a card performing somewhere between a 5850 and a 5870 at a similar price though.

10. Makaveli

Makaveli What's a Dremel?

I'm with you on this one, i'm running Dual 22 inch monitors at 1680x1050. While there is a very nice performance gap from a 4890 to 5870 it wasn't going to make much of a difference at the res I play at so skipped 5 series all together.

Being on a overclocked i7 with the 4890 has really given it some extra legs so will look at the 6 series when its out but even still most games are playable aslong as I don't crank up the AA to high.

11. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

6870 is all very well, but I really want to see what the 6970 can do...

12. Snips

I just think far too many minds are being made up here before a single benchtest has been seen.

Frontline, even though the 470 and 480 performed "OK" and made great toast. They still sold to the high end watercooling enthusiast due to SLi running better than crossfire. To such an extent that Nvidia is still pulling in tasty sales figures even if they are below expectations. AMD's losses even with the 5XXX doing so well are not a good sign and I was just asking the question whether they are rushing the 6XXX release in a knee jerk reaction to the success of the GTX460. Since the GTX460 covered such a large segment in the market place, AMD had to do something to combat that area since most upgrades would be in that area and not always high end.

13. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

AMD losses were due to AMD being man-handled by Intel in the desktop and Server divisions.
    ATi has sold the HD 5000 series very well and AMD release of the HD6000 is a learning process for their HD7000 series or whatever that will go to 28nm.

AMD has stated they wanted to manufacturer a 32nm die with an existing or upgraded chip to work out the process before putting a HD7000 on it. (Unlike Fermi's new chip new die whole lotta problems)

The GTX460 is a great card but if really threatened all AMD has to do slash the price of the HD5850 which out performs the GTX 460

14. Meatwad86

Meatwad86 What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna wait

I'm planning on waiting to see how next years completely new architecture AMD 28nm high end card competes with the upcoming high end Fermi 1.5 refresh. I will be upgrading from a e8400 and a 9600gt, which I am going to dedicate as a PhysX card, and I want to be able to say "Wow! What a difference!" instead of just noticeable. Also by then Fallout Vegas might have an expansion pack and I'll be able to justify buying Mafia2 also. The new card + the watercool kit and QX9650 I have sitting on the shelf waiting for the new card hopefully will make me say "Wow! I think I'll do a back flip!":wallbash:

15. Meatwad86

Meatwad86 What's a Dremel?

I'm planning on waiting to see how next years completely new arcitexture AMD 28nm high end card competes with the upcoming high end Fermi 1.5 refresh. I will be upgrading from a e8400 and a 9600gt, which I am going to dedicate as a PhysX card, and I want to be able to say "Wow! What a defference!" instead of just noticable. Also by then Fallout Vegas might have an expantion pack and I'll be able to justify buying Mafia2 also. The new card + the watercool kit and QX9650 that are sitting on the shelf waiting for the new card hopefully will make me say "Wow! I think I'll do a back flip!"

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you cant presume that the next product is going to follow the model numbering of the previous product.

look at intel, the went from core 2 to core i7, i5,i3

17. Snips

This is what Bit-tech said about the GTX460 1GB vs HD5850:-

"The GTX 460 1GB even has the measure of the £220 HD 5850, so your next graphics card option is the £280 Radeon HD 5870"

CustomPC said:-

"More surprisingly is the GTX460 1GB's ability to compete effectively with the HD5850, despite being £45 cheaper"

It was only without AA did the HD5850 show any grunt against the GTX460 1GB. Turn AA on 4X and the HD5850 buckled at the knees at 1680 X 1050. Surprisingly, at 1920 X 1200 with or without AA the HD5850 was pipped again by the GTX 460 1GB at the crucial minimum frame rate results.

AMD can't afford to be cutting prices and does not have prior evidence of doing this so unless you want a high end card the GTX 460 768mb and GTX460 1GB is the ONLY solution for low and mid range upgrades and builds. Unless of course you buy with your heart instead of your head.

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

5850 uses less power than the 460. So it (5850) could still be the better buy for some people.

19. Snips

but the amount is so small it hardly warrants the extra initial outlay and performance loss.

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Unless getting a 460 would require you to buy a new psu. It would for me.

Tags: Add Tags