1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC New HTPC build advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neocleous, 10 Oct 2010.

1. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Hi all,

I am going to rebuild a HTPC that I have based on an AMD system, all the computers I currently have are Intel based systems so I am a little out of touch with what AMD are doing at the moment.

I already have a case that takes full size ATX components so nothing special needed there. I have had a quick look and found these components what do you guys and gals think?

520W Corsair HX Series Modular PSU
    2 X 2TB Seagate ST32000542AS Barracuda LP
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333)
    Asus M4A88TD-V EVO
    AMD Athlon II X2 245e Energy Efficient Dual Core

I am open to any suggestions any one may have on alternate components

Thanks

Last edited: 11 Oct 2010
  2. simonw

simonw What's a Dremel?

Not sure if you need to get an energy efficient cpu since you are using an ATX case and an ATX psu for your build. Personally, I would only go for energy efficient cpus if I am building an ITX system with a small wattage psu.

So I would go for a regular 65W Athlon II X2, or step up to the Athlon II X3 as they don't really cost much more, and the extra core could come in handy.

3. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

The only reason I was thinking of an energy efficient CPU is to keep the heat and noise down

4. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Is it worth adding an SSD to the system for faster booting? Or is that overkill?

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

drop the PSU down to 400W corsair job it will just fine

not familar with those HDD but the samsung F3 eco range are very good and quiet
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190145#

£82~

other than that looks fine but you could opt for a quiet after market cooler and remove or replace with low rpm the case fans

6. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I have a Zalman flower cooler with a fan mate to run the fan nice and slow but it should be more than enough to cool that CPU I think

7. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

get a cheap dual core and underclock it. means it runs cooler, you can go passive heatsink on it, and therefore no noise :|

8. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Does the on board ATI graphics card on the motherboard I have suggested support any sort of hardware acceleration for video playback like nVidia cards do?

Do I need it?