1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Medal of Honor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Oct 2010.

1. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Bollocks isn't a swear word. Tis a technical term.

As it stands, I personally think the game was scored too highly. The description Joe gives of the game as a whole, in the main text of the review, coincides TO ME with 4/10 on the score chart:

"4/10 - Disappointing
    If a product is awarded a four, we feel that it has some serious problems or has questionable appeal, but it’s not a completely broken product. Look for alternatives unless you have a real reason not to."

Serious problems? Unrealistic, massively patriotic, only certain buildings can blow up, spawns of enemies can be right in front of you, can't kill drivers, invisible walls behind destructive environments... That sounds pretty serious.

Questionable appeal - it'll always have appeal, being Yet Another Sepia-Tinted War Game, but with all the turrets, even I've gone off it. That and the whole "Yeah, let's create stereotypical Taliban soldiers, wrap tea-towels round their heads, give them rocket launchers, and then NOT call them the Taliban!" thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

Alternatives? - Bad Company 2, Call of Duty... they're even listed as alternatives in the article.

I'm not questioning Joe's score - he may have had a better time than he let on, and I'm too negative, but I don't think I'm over-stepping the mark if I interpret the writing as-is to give an "in my head" score, am I?

As usual, personal opinion, yours may differ, blah.

2. October

October Mariachi Style

Yeah that's true, I don't remember any hype before Crysis or Fear came out... And Farcry 2? Barely even noticed it was being made :rolleyes:

Last edited: 12 Oct 2010
  3. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

A very good review!
    Just as I've known for quite a while, BF1942 was/is the only decent war game ever produced.
    On-line games still suck. Any game that isn't first and foremost made for the single-player is always, ALWAYS, utter trash. A game is bought by an individual so the game should be made FOR the individual. Multi-player & on-line are not the icing on the cake. They're only the crap on the cutting room floor where they should be left to moulder.

4. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

+1 Completely agree, I know quite a few people who did this. I mean I want BF3 as much as the next guy, but I refuse to pay £30 for BETA access. :sigh:

5. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Crysis 2 where art thou

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Pre-order for the PS3 version cancelled after reading that. I don't really do the whole MP side of things, and I simply don't buy games that get 5/10 (as that's what Joe said he gives for the SP with a point tacked on for MP). Yeah, I was buying a console version...

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

crysis 2 is going to suck bollocks, mark my words.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Bollocks are becoming an increasingly important part of this thread, it appears.

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

In console hell

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Wow did you get out of the wrong side of bed when you wrote this!

11. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

You darn noobs. When will you learn that anything coming out from EA is a lame excuse to take your money, camouflaged as shite? Frankly...

12. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

(double post, sorry)

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

EA arent as bad as they used to be when compared to activision, personally i blame the "gamers"

14. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

I downloaded the BETA and played it for maybe a total 5 minutes. Utterly crap game. EA, I want that 5 minutes back.

15. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

Nothing in the world would make me believe that to be a fact. It took me more than 5 minutes to set the game up. IMO you're obviously biased. And I doubt you have any experience with FPS'. C'mon dude... ????

16. barit

barit What's a Dremel?

Not another EA BF clone... they still have not fixed the disconnect issues from BFBC2. Can barely get a 10 minute game in if I am lucky to even get past the load screen.

20+ games on my PC and this is the only publisher that doesnt allow me to play the game I purchased. Make something new please!

17. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Thanks Bit-tech for this honest review. Well any PC gamer could have written this review as most of us knew this game was gonna be crap.

As a PC gamer, sure I want instant action just as much as any other guy going to the bar on ladies night but cookie cutter FPS are DEAD. A 5 hour rail sp and a half-ass bolted on MP, c'mon man.

What happen to FPS being epic, adventurous, and enthralling? It's gonna take a good open world FPS/RPG or a adventure FPS to get my wallet open. (as I mark off days until STALKER 2 and HL2ep3)

18. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

Medal of Honor is still on pre-order (release date 15 October). I do not care too much about the single player but hopefully the mulitplayer can invoke a COD4 like state in me again.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Playing the beta felt like work, boring ass, can't wait for it to be over work, I'm surprised it got a 6 TBH

It felt like a MW2 and BFBC2's ******* child, but only taking the bad from each, or in MW2s case all of it :hehe:

20. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

WOW, I can't believe the negative feedback I've been reading.
    I for one can't wait (wait to be blown away ((by some 13 year old pimple faced noob probably)) or disappointed)
    When it comes to these larger than life titles, I'm able to take myself out of the hype caused, I obviously do get excited but manage to steer clear of the hype, in doing so I don't get totally disappointed when it's not as epic as everyone and the media make out to be.
    I played the MP and enjoyed it, MW" and BFBC2 **** child it may be, but then I am a fan of modern warfare like fps (not really one of alien or far future type fps games, not to say I don't like HL series, I can't wait til ep3)

I think when it comes to these titles I do feel the market is saturated by (no offense here) "American Soldiers save the world yet again with a bunch of highly trained specialized super invincible soldiers"
    The world of FPS games needs a change in some way that will shake up the rest of the developers. Great graphics is one thing, great game play is another, but most recently I feel there needs to be a great story line that we have never seen before.

Tags: Add Tags