1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Medal of Honor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Oct 2010.

1. ABUSIVEMANGO

ABUSIVEMANGO What's a Dremel?

Being a massive COD MW and MW2 fan, I pre-ordered this not only to save a few quid but to actually break away from the hold COD has on me. I am worried abt the review?, kinda but so far its the most negative I've found.
    I tend not to put too much belief into reviews unless they are holy negative to a level of hatred as there are bloody awlful games out there, but this it seems isnt one - I havent had a COD game yet where the multi-player isnt full of glitches for months and lets not all forget both COD's MW/MW2 are short missions on SP.

I will put down COD MW2 hopefully for me to give this the time and effort it deserves to enjoy , If it keeps me entertained for a few hours on inital play -brilliant - if not I'll simply look at trading it in.

2. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

nice to see an honest review. I also agree with the fact that there are waaay too many "realistic" (hah) military fps shooters out atm.

I think thats why borderlands did so well, it had a hell of a lot of flaws, but atleast it was different.

3. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I apologise for causing any offence but the unrelenting negativity throughout the review doesn't tally with the score. Surely 6/10 would mean that on balance the game has more positive aspects than it does negative but that isn't really what you said.

4. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

So the review is almost entirely negative and yet it still receives a 6, do you mark from 5-10?

5. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

And here I was hoping for some huge mountain maps, missions in tunnel systems and IED's.

6. Slavedriver

Slavedriver What's a Dremel?

Too bad review does not mention horrid console interface and buttons which look like check boxes. Oh and gray maps with grey soldiers on grey background with grey friendly markers.
    Oh and "Spawn on front" spawning you on the guy at your base.
    Oh and the obvious uselessness of sniper rifles 'coz you can snipe from anything at all.
    Oh and...
    Ah, forget it. The 2 hours I spent on the beta were the worst 2 hours I spent that week.

On the scale of 1 to 10 this game deserves -1. You achieve that score by removing a point for every piece of hype, consolishness and BF:BC2 asset you see.

7. jumperjohn

jumperjohn What's a Dremel?

Try ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead. you get all this and more. A great game with modders supplying endless maps. There are even British forces!

8. gabe777

gabe777 What's a Dremel?

Crikey, you don't mince yer words do you matey ? Good on you!

I hate to think what the console versions will be like, being an UT3-engined game. Ouch ! No saving graces at all then?!

Give this a wide berth me thinks.

9. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Since when was MoH a UT3 game? It uses Frostbite - DICE's proprietary in-house engine.

10. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Single player campaign is made by 'Danger Close' on the Unreal 3 engine - multiplayer is on DICE's Frostbite engine

11. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

I see some people are very negative towards the review.

For me, I've recently noticed, I find the score itself kind of an "arbitrary" number. Meaning the experiences and impressions that Joe writes about are far more important than a simple "scoring result".

For example, if you read the bit-tech scoring guide, for me it tells that they've tried to describe a summary of a review as accurately as possible. Yet it's quite clear, that writing a 'summary' that would fit any game that is a score 6 is very difficult.

Granted, maybe the number 6 is too high - but honestly, do you even care? I don't, I got all the information I needed from the review. And those who don't bother to read it at all and just look at the number, well the review is not targeted at them anyway.

For me, Joe writes the thoughts I've had about games, and therefore I can relate to the overall "feel" of the review.

Anyway, after trying the beta, I can say that the multiplayer "had it's moments", but was overall very uninteresting.

12. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Grr, the above comment now seems to be very 'vague', I hope everyone can understand my non-native English speaker English. :)

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Actually, on the contrary, I found it crystal clear. I also totally agree with the point you're making (personally I'm not even sure if we need a scoring system).

Kris likes this.
  14. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

So, my buddy actually went out and paid money for this game and told me at work today: "Dude. You need to come over and play it, just to see how horrible it is."

I just got back from his place and I have to say - horrible. I managed to confirm this review along with all my own prejudices.

Another debacle from the wonderfully junk developers at EA. And as usual; don't expect any support or patches what-so-ever!

15. Siskodata

Siskodata What's a Dremel?

Yes EA scum will issue BF3 beta keys if you buy this crap. They knew MOH will be crap so they pulled this stunt. Its a shame I have bought all BF games and expansions for PC from BF1942 and I have to buy a game that doesn't even fall in the same category as BF3 so I can play the beta.

The high price is also due to the fact that EA knew they weren't going to sell MOH so to get the most money of from it they doubled the price.

BF with EA/DICE has no future I just cancelled the order for BF1943 for PC the game that will never be launched.

16. Siskodata

Siskodata What's a Dremel?

Just waiting for Home Front to come out and see how it is

17. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Hows the multiplayer work, console style matchmaking or proper dedicated servers? also is there lan support? im guessing not as it seems to be using the BC2 engine?

18. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Servers... when i played beta it was..

So the review is good then.
    Just got back into playing BFBC2 multi again & this game under beta was no different.
    Oh well i ordered it ages ago when it first went Beta on Steam.
    I'll play it and see what happens, as i took BC ages to be bug free... ish

19. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Lan support is my main issue, without this ill leave this game and wait for it to come on a weekend deal.
    I lan a lot and its really frustrating when COD4 is the latest modern shooter that we can play there :(

20. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Good honest review, though one thing caught my eye - " Tier 1 soldiers (or, in non-marketing speak, special forces troops)", not sure the comment deserves to be there. The tiering of the armed forces is actually an official term from the coalition's organisational structure rather than from EA's PR. Just thought I'd mention it!

Tags: Add Tags