1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Can not get AHCI to work - BSOD on startup

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Abraxas, 13 Oct 2010.

1. Abraxas

Abraxas What's a Dremel?

I am running Windows 7 on an SSD, and I recently found out that with SSDs it is highly recommended to enable the AHCI option in the BIOS. There is an option in the BIOS under Storage Configuration which allows me to configure SATA as IDE, AHCI or RAID. This option is set to IDE by default (it is on my P6X58D-E anyway). When I leave it on IDE, everything works and Windows loads without any problems. When I switch to AHCI mode, I get a blue screen error after the "Windows is starting up" graphic appears. I could just leave it on IDE, but that isn't really a solution - I'd just be gimping my SSD by doing that. Does anyone know how I can resolve this? Thanks

2. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

That will be because you installed windows 7 on the SSD with it set to IDE mode, for it to work in AHCI mode you, unfortunately, would need to set it to ahci and reinstall windows!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

Set your BIOS back to IDE and boot windows.

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. Press ok on the popup.

Find this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>System>CurrentControlSet>Services>Msahci
    On the right, right click on "start", hit modify, then type in 0 in the box. Hit Ok.

Once you are done that, reboot and go into the bios, set it back to AHCI and boot up again.

You are done!

Landy_Ed, Guest-16 and thehippoz like this.
  4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Matticus solution works, but I heard many bad stories following it, but, many success stories, as well.

A re-install is what is recommended, but if you really can't, than do what Matticus said.
    If you have the problem, repeat Matticus instructions and set it back to IDE, and everything should work fine (well it won't be on AHCI, so no NCQ and no hot-swappable (eSATA) and no TRIM support), but should do fine until you have time to re-install.

5. Abraxas

Abraxas What's a Dremel?

I did this and AHCI seems to be working now. Thanks very much for your help guys. :)

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Fantastic!

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

+rep Matti, nice call!

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

It will boot, but don't leave it as it is. For the best results, once Windows has detected the AHCI controller, you'll need to reinstall your SATA controller's drivers.