1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress CUBO (FINAL PHOTOS page 6)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gtek, 12 Oct 2010.

1. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Hi everyone,

CUBO is my fourth scratch build project and this time I decided for mini-ITX from factor, and for a couple of reasons. First of all it should complete my moddig journey from mega to mini. My frist project was massive 3 in 1 PC fully watercooled, with tons of lights in it project 3, the second was a more standard single ATX form factor pc project ULTRA and than a air cooled microATX system, project BETA which is still under construction. So now its time for even a smaller one...

Then it comes to design I sticked to simplicity. It will be very small case, with dimensions just 20x20x21cm so I wanted to keep it simple but nice, not too complicated. Some might even say that it will be boring, but... Anyway, I also didn't want it to be very underpowered, even if it's always a challenge with this form factor, but I will try to squeeze following stuff inside. 350Watt microATX PSU, slot loading DVD writer, socket 1156 motherboard something like gigabyte GA-H35N, 2x2GB RAM, full size video card with the length up to 17cm probably ATI HD5670 and a standard HDD/SSD. And also a couple of 80mm fans to get the hot air out.

I chose aluminium as a primary building material and some prespex for one of the walls.

3mm dark tint prespex, which will still allow to see what's inside, but just...

[​IMG][/IMG]

some 1.5mm aluminium sheets to start with

[​IMG][/IMG]

and a couple of quick sketchup pics for rough idea of the shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope you will like it :)

Last edited: 9 Nov 2010
  2. Gtek

First update, and first part coming from under my hand saw, drill and files. Still needs a few holes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Ah you gotta love those little miniITX cubes :blush:

I wait for next year and the release of the new Fusion-APUs from AMD before I'll decide on building something small, but powerful. The currently available onboard-GPUs are not powerful enough for my taste and dedicated GFX-cards makes the cases still too big for my taste.

Looking forward to the result of the Power and Reset-switches you've planned there.

4. Gtek

Yeah, I like them, I accually build this one for my self :)

Well I was thinking about killing the reset switch and leaving just a power button, but I'm not sure yet...

5. Gtek

Looks like I'm in a right working mood today. Just finished motherboard tray. It's tiny, just 19x19cm.

[​IMG]

6. Gtek

Another quick update.
    Mobo tray and some more part together... bottom of the larger part of the case and joining/supporting parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Gtek

Another update with more pics.

I made the bottom of the main compartment of the case and used epoxy to joint it to mobo tray. As you can see I'm using 2 methods for joining parts in this project. Where I don't want any screws to be seen I use epoxy and for "hidden" joins and where extra strength is needed I'm using M3 countersink screw and nuts (+epoxy in some cases). Both methods are applied trough the joining parts which allows me to use thinner materials in my build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Ah, I don't know about the glueing tbh. I had some joints made with Araldite failing on me allready.

Riveting or screwing is definately the way to go imho.

9. Alexandros

Alexandros What's a Dremel?

I like the motherboard tray design :D! Also love the fact that you're using my DFI mobo design ;)

10. Paradox42

Paradox42 What's a Dremel?

Wow, seeing lots of these miniITX projects floating around these days. (which is a good thing!) Keep up the progress, im a big fan of your project Ultra

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice start. I really like the design, very unique and simple in appearance. It should looks great when completed.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Nice job. Always good to see mITX scratch builds :)

13. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

:eeek: this is awesome !
    awesome metal working skills there !

14. Gtek

Yes, I was sceptic about glueing before as well. But take Ultra, no screw or rivets at all... it really works mate...

:D Thanks x2

Yeah, I just had to build one :) Thanx. And I'm going to rebuild Ultra btw :thumb:

Yes, thank you! I hope it will look good.

Thanx mate!

Oh thank you. I'm always jealous when I'm watching others metal working skills.

15. Gtek

Chassis is coming together. There is just last bit missing. The main compartment back wall. It is the first part I made so it just needs a few holes drilled, a couple of other tweaks and it will be ready to join the chassis. all the surfaces are sanded down and ready for primer as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I will need to do something about the photos as they become very blurry after I upload them :grr:)

16. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one Gtek,looking good :thumb:

17. Gtek

Thank you skullen!

18. andy_mcp1

andy_mcp1 I may have an I.D-10T error...

Case is shaping nicely! Simple is often best, Ultra looked very sleek with it's clean lines! Have to admit i am always a litte envious seeing such clean builds, my material always seems to look a little tatty till the 11hour when it gets masked in paint. Top notch metal work :thumb:.

What brand/type of epoxy are you using?

Will be keeping an eye on this one.

19. Gtek

Hi andy, yeah it paint will fix things a lot :)

I'm using Unibond repair power epoxy as a temporary replacement for my beloved Liquid Metal :rock:
    But it works fine, just now...

20. Gtek

I just love to make these small parts :D

[​IMG]