1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia launches GT440 cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Oct 2010.

1. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Of course the PC's it's sold on will also have a 'massive 3GB memory.' Such a waste, reminds me of what Dell apparently did selling PC's with 4GB RAM and 2 1GB graphics cards in SLI

2. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I don't think it's aimed at corporate/office PC customers. Office PCs come almost exclusively with Intel integrated graphics, and I can't see that changing any time soon.

3. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Finally a card that can play Crysis, I'll throw away my GTX 470 and will get me one of those GT440

4. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

nVidia fanboys (in a Forum I go) are saying that the GT440 is for work in Photoshop and Cad for a low price, and all that CUDA mumbo-jumbo... That's why it has 3Gb... :D

No Sir!! U need to SLi the GT440's... Then you'll have some big and shinny 6GB GDDR3... :naughty:

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The low-end professional market crossed my mind as well, however:
    That's sadly not far from the truth. This will likely be dumped in with 4GB of RAM and the manufacturer's low-end dual core of choice. I'm not big on photoshop and don't know too well what it wants most in a system, but can generally guess that this won't make for a well rounded system.

6. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Does the GT 440 come with Trim Control cause I feel the need to install my OS on it and use it as a SSD

7. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

One day son this war will be over....and then we'll all die of boredom.

8. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

3GB of graphics memory would be great for increasing textures and draw distances in GTA IV, with its terrible optimisation. However I wouldn't be able to put up with the 2FPS the GPU would put out...

9. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

As an MMO gamer this card looks pretty interesting. I'm still running a 9600GT with only 64 shaders and still play everything decently. If the ram on this card is at least 256bit then I'll seriously consider it. I expect it'll only be 128bit though.

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

i dont see to many monitors with displayport yet. Even the 3D monitor I want that costs $340 only has DVI and HDMI on it. I see no reason for it till next generation when monitors support SHD and UHD resolutions again.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Display Port is found on high-end non-professional monitors and up. You won't find them on TN based panel just yet, as TN monitor is based on making the cheapest monitor as possible, to compete in the rough competition. And while the consumer only looks at price and nothing else, don't get your hopes you for any quality or features on these. I am not saying that their isn't the occasional model that pop-up that provides a good quality product with great feature using a TN based panel to fill that market that seek both price, quality and some level of features, but it's not the focus point. Display Port can also be found on high-end end laptops, including eSATA (with some exception now.. after so many years eSATA is starting to take a place in the mid range systems).

Nvidia has a wide variety of Display Port compatible graphic card, but they are mainly Quadro series.

As it's easy to convert (a simple adapter) from Display Port to/from DVI to/from HDMI without any downsides, it's not an issue to be concerned.

It has nothing to do with screen resolutions. Dell (including Alienware) and Lenovo are strong supporters of Display Port. They are other supporters like: HP, Toshiba, Fujitsu. And then you have other brands that barely show any effort.

For the connectors, at the end, for the case of Nvidia, it will have to be from the manufacture of the card. I know Gigabyte stills puts 1x VGA and 1x DVI instead of 2x DVI on their latest graphic cards (I guess they had too many VGA ports, and need to empty their stock).

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  12. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

Incorrect, I worked in IT for the State Dept for 3 years and almost 75% of our computers (not including laptops) had stand alone GPUs.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This card should help speed up the low end maybe just slightly.

I really hope it will outdo at least the HD5670 or the HD5570.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

displayport is so much better than DVI. the wire is smaller, more flexible. the latches are so easy to use.

and for choices of monitors, all the monitors i've looked at has got displayport, such as U2711, U3011, HP 30 inch. going displayport at that resolution makes so much more sense, since you will not need special and expensive dual-link DVI cables.

you got to look outside your bubble of cheap, worthless generic TN monitors.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Nope, got ass-whooped by HDMI as a de-facto established standard

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Would this not appeal to the F@H farmers? One slot fairly powerful budget card? I'm sure it would.

17. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

I've worked for DHL and the NHS and many of systems I supported used integrated graphics chips. However, because they don't support multiple monitors, anyone who needed more than one screen on their desk got a semi-worthless multi-monitor discrete graphics card. The number of people with multiple monitors on their desk in the office has been steadily climbing for some time.

18. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

When i worked at the local council, the older Compaq desktops they had with onboard intel graphics were single monitor only, but the Dell SFF systems they were replacing them with had onboard intel graphics that supported dual monitors (1 analog + 1 digital though)

19. cdb

cdb No comment

Will you guys be able to get hold of one of these to review? I'd be interested to see how it folds compared to the gt430 as it uses similar power.

Tags: Add Tags