1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Another "Would you look over my build?" thread!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Monkey_Magic, 18 Oct 2010.

1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be putting together a computer, the heaviest use of which will be gaming. Going off the buyers guide for October gives me this build:

Budget: Around £800
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming, other menial tasks
    Parts required: Everything except OS and monitor
    Previous build information (list details of parts): Just the monitor
    Monitor resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Storage requirements: Around 500GB
    Will you be overclocking: Yes, never done it before though!
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Might be a good idea to have SLI

Here's what I was thinking:

Scan.co.uk Basket

Only thing I'm not too sure of is the motherboard. It itsn't that new - is there a better one out there?

What do you guys think of the build? See any improvements / savings to be made? :)

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

3. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

sorry... for the CPU... the offer has increased the price? :S

I'd go for the 1GB version of the GTX 460.. apart from that, looks good :)

4. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

PSU is a little overkill as well, but would handle 2 x GTX if you need room for future up-grade.
    Apart from that looks like a pretty good list.

5. storm_technology

storm_technology What's a Dremel?

Yeah looks like a good build, totally agree with going for the 1gb GTX 460, well worth it.
    Would also look into getting a decent cooling system you dont want to fry your processor.

Have a look at the overclock bundles, may be a good idea if you havent figured out overclocking yet

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Nice set up, you could look at swapping the case you have in your list for a antec 900 or 902 and save £50, it has one less 200mm fan but at least you will have £50 to play with, then you could get say a corsair water cooler instead of your current thermatake for a extra £26 still leaving you £30 more to play with else where.

7. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the input!

The corsair H50 cooler does look really cool - I might go for that!

The case is quite pricey but it looks gorgeous and I'd be sad to see it go. Pity it isn't £20 cheaper!

I was under the impression that there wasn't really much difference between the 768MB 460 and the 1GB one - at least, not enough to justify a £40 price hike. Do you think it'd be that worth it to splurge on that if I'm just playing on a resolution of 1680 x 1050?

Anything to say about the motherboard? Is it a good overclocker? Is there a better board out there?

Also, this might sound silly, but when you buy a modular PSU, it does come with a bunch of cables right? You wouldn't need to buy them separate? :worried:

8. seanbean

seanbean Certa Cito

All the cables you need come with it - usually with a few extra ones.

9. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

That build looks awesome except for a few minor parts:

I saw that you were considering the H50. Know that when you buy the H50 it's strongly recommended that you get a second identical fan to make a push/pull configuration on it. The thing only comes with 4 screws also so if you do push/pull you need to just use 2 screws per fan. Although I heard this isn't a problem at all, I'm just warning you of it. The Frio is a good air cooler and so is the H50. The main advantage the H50 has over the Frio is that it's footprint on the motherboard is much smaller (e.g. you won't have the risk of a fan hanging over into ur RAM slots).

I would also recommend the gtx460 1GB version.

Your speakers need an upgrade >.<'''. Get 2.1 at least so when you blow someone up you can feel it D:. Acoustic Energy Aego M, Logitech Z2300, or kilpsch promedia 2.1 systems are all so much better than just 2.0 x_x.

If you can't afford that kind of speaker upgrade, then at least get an awesome headset/headphone+mic so you can appreciate the in game sfx and bgm. It really adds to the experience of the game a lot (personal opinion).