1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SteelSeries launches Scope gaming glasses

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 21 Oct 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

£20 then its a maybe

3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Hmmmm.

I think I'll go with "Lol."

4. bowman

bowman Minimodder

This is so ****ing retarded I don't have words.

I like SteelSeries peripherals, they're well-made, but this reminds me of their idiotic Gaming Glove. Except it's even more stupid. I didn't think that was possible.

5. Memnoch-fr

Memnoch-fr What's a Dremel?

:D

£63 is a farce, but reducing eye strain and dry eye is worth a bit, and still cheaper than decent prescriptions (about the price of one lense).

Definitely can't see it making you better at games though, just better for your eyes !

6. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Remember those screen filters that used to be placed over CRT's? Maybe this is supposed to be the modern equivalent...

I'd actually consider using something like this if they would help prevent my already atrocious eyesight from deteriorating further, but I have my doubts... as for my atrocious aim in FPS games, I think that's beyond saving :)

7. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Brightness control. Monitors haz it.

8. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I've just checked the Gunnar site and they do 3D suitable lenses, now that I would consider. I hate going to the cinema and re-using glasses, but even the brand new ones leave a lot to be desired.

9. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

If your monitor is giving you some eye strain, I'd look into changing your settings till your comfortable for a extended gaming session and yes people should be taking breaks after an hour or two of playing to give their eyes a rest anyway, even if it is for just a few minutes, it really helps.

As for the dry eyes issue, last time i checked, a big bottle of eye-drops is about 5 bucks at the local drug store and it doesn't make you look silly wearing those glasses. But hey, if this product works for you, it's your choice to drop the money on a pair of these lenses.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Brightness protection. The purpose of these glasses does not haz it.

What Memnoch is commenting on being perhaps useful is the +.20 dioptre lenses. Meant to help your eyes focus on objects at a certain distance (in this case, a monitor) without straining them.

If my understanding and memory from my last eye check serve, your eyes at rest focus on far away objects easily. To focus on nearer objects muscles/ligaments/whathaveyou have to work to adjust the focus of your eye. What these glasses would do is allow your eyes to focus on a point beyond your monitor (and thus have less strain) while still keeping the monitor in focus.

If I've got it wrong or don't have the full picture then anyone who does please elaborate :)

11. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

You're telling me about your crap aim... lol.

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Quarter the price and I'l get them for my dad as anti glare driving shades.

13. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

wouldn't recommend these as driving shades as they're meant for close objects (eg monitors) instead of long distance objects (traffic, signs)

14. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Now if these were to be used with 3D monitors I'd probably be more inclined to pay attention to this, but as it is it's just stupid.

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

WTF, sorry but seriously?

16. enciem

enciem Minimodder

These sound awesome and a good price too. They'll go great with a set of 3D glasses underneath, a gaming glove, and special pair of anti-redass gaming pants for hard seating surfaces. Can't wait

btw, if anti-redass gaming pants haven't been invented yet and someone thinks they're a good idea I want commission, or at least the chance to try and promote them on dragons den. 10% of the company for £250,000 anyone?

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

There seems to be a market for everything. Maybe they can peddle those glasses to the optically challenged (i.e. blind)...

18. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I have no doubt that these glasses do... something. But is it worth your money? Will it improve your game? Probably about as much as those gamer-branded energy drinks or snacks will, i.e. not at all. As I understand it, these glasses pretty much just increase contrast and reduce glare, which can be useful in some situations, but I highly doubt it will actually make any difference in your playing. At least a Fatal1ty-branded sound card will give you better audio, which could help you with finding targets in fast-paced competitive shooters (though any decent sound card would do the same).

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

oh dear lord.

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I suppose it's possible they might reduce eye strain, but at that price they can keep them.

Tags: Add Tags