1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard: PC gaming is not dying

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well, now I don't feel so bad after getting lambasted on these forums earlier in the year ;)

3. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I wonder how he accounts for PC sales of New Vegas being only 10%.

4. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

Just because consoles account for a large part of the market doesn't mean that PC gaming is dying. Besides, 10% of what?

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

You need two things to make a success of PC gaming.
    1) Know your target market
    2) Produce good innovative games.

Companies that complain have usually produced uninspiring dross.

6. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

PC gaming isn't dead, but it's golden era is gone. Lack of LAN support, crappy controls and user interface, dumbed down games...that's rather unfortunate state of PC gaming.

7. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Might I add a supplement to #1? Don't treat us all like leeching pirates.

Blizzard have ruffled my feathers a bit recently with their actions towards cheating in solo and a few other things but I don't really care as WoW and SC2 don't interest me I'm patiently awaiting WarCraft 4. Diablo 3 not so much either because Torchlight 2 and at some point GrimDawn will keep me more than happy.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2010
  8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Source?

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

10% of total sales (for the game) I would assume.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

11. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

10% of all sales, in the UK at least. Pretty pathetic, and doesn't look good for the PC, especially considering the game is so perfectly suited to PC. It works great on mouse and it doesn't even require top end hardware.

"Bethesda's new Fallout game has entered the UK all-formats chart at number one. A considerable 60 per cent of New Vegas' sales were made on Xbox 360, with 30 per cent attributed to PS3 and 10 per cent to PC. "

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-25-uk-chart-fallout-new-vegas-wins-big

12. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Just because console gaming is bigger than PC gaming doesn't make PC gaming dead.

13. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

I still prefer playing games on the PC anytime over that of a console and being able to add no-cd patches to my games so I don't have to hunt around for a disk just to play a game and make us of an xbox controller that uses a standard USB connection to play some specific titles that suit that control method over keyboard and mouse (e.g. Fahrenheit). FPS and RTS games will always be better on PC because of the keyboard and mouse. At least on my PC I have a choice of control methods I wish to use for a game, at least where games support them.

As for Fallout: Las Vegas only supposed to have contributed to 10% of sales, I really am not at all surprised since it is using such an old engine, 2006 wasn't it? Sounds like developers got lazy to me and wanted an easy earner earner, if they had at least upgraded the engine or built upon it to make Las Vegas a much better game than Fallout 3 was itself, then maybe it would have sold more all round.

14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Dosn't help that New Vegas looks awful by PC standards - I've got it at 1900x1200 with ultra on everything and can't stand it....console gamers wont even reliase bless um

15. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Personally i think PC gaming is just ahead of the time compared to consoles.
    Digital downloads will be the main source of purchasing games in the future and is most likely the main source of pc game downloads now.

The last 10 pc games i have brought have all been via digital downloads, infact i can't remember the last time i went and brought an actual hard copy of a pc game.
    I reckon consoles will suffer as a result eventually, very easy to download games onto your 1tb hard drive on your pc but try and do that to an xbox's 120gb hard drive, soon fills up and the cost of hard drives for consoles is ridiculous too.

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Even if the big PC gaming industry "dies" because all of the big publishers decide that consoles are better... indie games will still go strong.

Aside from Just Cause 2, which has had me hooked from the moment I loaded it up, every single PC game this year that has held my attention and kept be going back to it has been a little indie release. They might not be the most graphically impressive, but indie devs seem to put a passion into their games that just doesn't seem to be there for the big ones any more.

17. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

That's UK retail figures, then?

Considering over 50% of PC sales are supposed to be digital now, that makes their sales 20%, not too shabby in a market that is console dominated, unlike, say, Germany or the Asian markets.

18. Dead4life

Dead4life What's a Dremel?

I would expect that NV's initial sales reaching only 10% on PC is because fallout 3 was dross.

Console gamers don't recognise dross, for them its all spelt in leet, with copious amounts of case mixing and itlaics.

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Console gamers accept that graphics now is the same as 5 years ago. PC gamers demand better/latest graphics technology in games. PC gamers invest in hardware to run these games so it is absolutly logical that PC gamers 'require' a higher standard, as in not console ported games.

The cause (to me) for the downfall of PC gaming (if there is any) is game developer/publishers that make games for consoles are expecting the same result on the PC when porting the game to a PC. Fact is that they deny the fact that PC gamers are demanding high quality games on their expensive hardware setups.

20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

This 10% figure... and that includes steam sales yes? That's where I got my copy from, and yes I know it cost me a fiver more than from play, but having it just working from the get-go is worth the money in my book.

Tags: Add Tags