1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Steampunk monitor stand

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lifer, 9 Mar 2010.

1. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb

Hey all, Just wanted to share my latest mod. I have caught the steampunk bug lately and I really like the look of all the polished metal and wood.
    Case to come later.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

looks good, when you going to do the rest of the display?

3. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb

Thanks, This monitor is going to my brother who wants a more industrial look hence no decoration but I do have another one which shall be getting the full steampunk treatment soon.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2010
  4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like the look of the cherry stain and the polished copper. They compliment each other well. What did you use to keep the metal bright?

5. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb

Thanks dude, All the metal was polished by hand using sandpaper going from coarse to fine grade then liquid metal polish for final polish. Took a long time but worth the effort. It will require just a quick polish to maintain its apperance.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Looks cool!

I'd actually let it tarnish and go dull. I think it's a little too crisp and clean for steampunk at the moment. I always imagine anything steampunk as a little careworn and funky.

7. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb

Victoria

As promised the case to match the stand is finally complete, so without further ado I proudly present Victoria.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Shes built from recycled rimu, a native red pine, which I stained mahogany for an old look. I based the design on a old writing desk. The hardware is pretty basic stuff as is fitting for a torrent box, later I would like to use it as a HTPC. DVD drive and usb port with mouse receiver are both under keyboard shelf. Keyboard is not wirelss, I chopped its usb plug off then drilled a small hole and threaded it so it is internal then soldered its plug back on and connected to a usb port. The worst part would be sanding/polishing the 90 degree copper pipe connectors by hand, each one took almost 2 hours to do and theres lots of the little buggers. Even though its taken me 6 months work im very happy how it turned out.

8. Infiniti

Infiniti i modded the wheel!

i love steampunk :D

9. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

I want to build a case which uses those copper pipes for water-cooling tubing now... With a glass ball on the front for checking coolant levels...

*stops studying and goes off and plans*

10. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Beautiful work, and I have just a thought. what about making a removable cover that would essentially hide the keyboard when not in use. I think it might take this from being a cool computer case to a peice of functional furniture.

Just a thought.

11. jcooper138

jcooper138 Steampunk newbie

Well done. Beautiful work really. Especially the polish on the copper.

Where did you get the gauges?

12. zatanna

zatanna What's a Dremel?

wow, this is really beautiful! congrats. i know some steampunksters that would drool over it.
    i am.

13. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb

Thanks guys, The gauges were sourced from trade me and ebay. I am looking for a pocket watch to go with it now, it never ends does it.

14. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

This is great:)...I'm thinking about creating the Brass Iris Garage opener that this guy did. I've never beena huge steampunk fan myself....but it really does look nice:).

15. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb